First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Has anyone tried this flip your lid product? It appears to turn your freedom panels into an easy open top like a sunrider.

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone tried Flip Your Lid? 1E1F746C-7189-46C3-A834-B58C7F27DBB5_1_105_c
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This particular product is for the JK Wrangler. Their website doesn’t list any other models.

Kevin

OP
OP
SteveInOrlando

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
This particular product is for the JK Wrangler. Their website doesn’t list any other models.

Kevin
I think there is no going back. Once you attach it I don't think you could remove it.

The whole surface contact area attaches with a serious double stick glue. Once it is attached, I am guessing you would need to use the string trick to saw through the sticky tape to ever remove it. It would be a real pain to ever get it off.

I saw a couple of concerns.

1. You better love it because of removal issues.
2. To remove the top, these would come off with the rest of the roof, no separate removal.
3. If you have a liner, it better be well attached if you intend to drive with these open.

I liked the concept. If I am away from home and remove mine, they are a pain to deal with, but I don't know that I am willing to jump into the deep end with this.

There was a competitor for this at the show, but theirs was 2 giant aluminum hinges that bolted onto each freedom panel and the rest of the roof. Literally, 4 holes drilled in each panel, and 8 holes in the roof. I didn't see that place moving any stock.

Flip your lid was selling a fair number so maybe the wrangler forum will have feedback on these soon.

Sponsored

aj93jeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
My neighbor has them on his JK and loves them. Can’t wait for the JT. Will make a nice storage solution when taking the top off

OP
OP
SteveInOrlando

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
I think there is no going back. Once you attach it I don't think you could remove it.

The whole surface contact area attaches with a serious double stick glue. Once it is attached, I am guessing you would need to use the string trick to saw through the sticky tape to ever remove it. It would be a real pain to ever get it off.

I saw a couple of concerns.

1. You better love it because of removal issues.
2. To remove the top, these would come off with the rest of the roof, no separate removal.
3. If you have a liner, it better be well attached if you intend to drive with these open.

I liked the concept. If I am away from home and remove mine, they are a pain to deal with, but I don't know that I am willing to jump into the deep end with this.

There was a competitor for this at the show, but theirs was 2 giant aluminum hinges that bolted onto each freedom panel and the rest of the roof. Literally, 4 holes drilled in each panel, and 8 holes in the roof. I didn't see that place moving any stock.

Flip your lid was selling a fair number so maybe the wrangler forum will have feedback on these soon.
UPDATE:

I am unsure of the brand, but I have now seen 2 vehicles with this flip style lid for the Freedom tops pulled over on the side of the road, while returning from the beach areas, and carrying a Freedom top in their hands walking back towards their jeep.

People get out at the slow speeds and flip their lids, then when heading back to wherever they hit the highways. Highway speeds seem to just rip the lid off of one side. It seems like this solution works great at slow speeds but may have an Achilles heel.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
And I wonder the insurance ramifications of...."Freedom panel goes through window of car behind you.."

UPDATE:

I am unsure of the brand, but I have now seen 2 vehicles with this flip style lid for the Freedom tops pulled over on the side of the road, while returning from the beach areas, and carrying a Freedom top in their hands walking back towards their jeep.

People get out at the slow speeds and flip their lids, then when heading back to wherever they hit the highways. Highway speeds seem to just rip the lid off of one side. It seems like this solution works great at slow speeds but may have an Achilles heel.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
UPDATE:

I can’t say that surprises me. There’s no way that I’d trust an adhesive of any kind to keep those in place at highway speeds.

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
It doesn't look like they are following through with the JL/JT hinges. The website has an error.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
If you have these, I ask only two things:
  1. Let me know where you're going so I'm not behind you;
  2. Let me know how nice it is closed up after the insides of your roof are caked in bugs and road gunk.
The Sunrider excels so much because it doesn't have the risk associated with these 'flip-up' panel solutions, but gives you the exact freedom you're looking for. And as the old motorcycle adage goes, "keep it shiny side up". There's not a lot of sense that goes into having the interior of a hard panel face out.

Not to mention, it's super easy to take the freedom panels off as it is. Introducing the complication of "storing them on the roof" just doesn't add up. You spend $300+ for a place to keep them that isn't as protected as the storage bag. Nevermind the permanency of the installation or the risk of damage...

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
If you have these, I ask only two things:
  1. Let me know where you're going so I'm not behind you;
  2. Let me know how nice it is closed up after the insides of your roof are caked in bugs and road gunk.
The Sunrider excels so much because it doesn't have the risk associated with these 'flip-up' panel solutions, but gives you the exact freedom you're looking for. And as the old motorcycle adage goes, "keep it shiny side up". There's not a lot of sense that goes into having the interior of a hard panel face out.

Not to mention, it's super easy to take the freedom panels off as it is. Introducing the complication of "storing them on the roof" just doesn't add up. You spend $300+ for a place to keep them that isn't as protected as the storage bag. Nevermind the permanency of the installation or the risk of damage...
I get the appeal of the concept. The panels are VERY quick and easy to remove and replace, but what do you do with them if you’re traveling and have limited storage space?

I have to assume that was the thought process with this concept, but yes
I don’t think it was thought out entirely.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I get the appeal of the concept. The panels are VERY quick and easy to remove and replace, but what do you do with them if you’re traveling and have limited storage space?

I have to assume that was the thought process with this concept, but yes
I don’t think it was thought out entirely.
Don't put them on the roof where they can get damaged and/or fly off...

Sometimes concessions need to be made, no matter the vehicle.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Don't put them on the roof where they can get damaged and/or fly off...

Sometimes concessions need to be made, no matter the vehicle.
I agree. Just saying that I’m assuming that was the thought process with this (apparently) poorly executed concept.
Sponsored