Sponsored

Hauling dogs? What’s your setup?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking canvas cargo mesh so they don’t get stuck in the netting. I still want to be able to take it on and off in case I need to load a moto or something
I figured heavier guage hardware mesh as it would be a few pieces that could be easily bolted to or removed from the rack & stored. I only need it a few times a year so I want the in & out easy
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rara03p

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It’s the worst!!
Watching this thread also. I have a wife, two kids and two Boxer’s. I’m the cab isn’t an option. They are both around 80 lbs.

now trying to figure out what to do if we go camping with the dogs... we have a large travel trailer, any suggestions? Was looking at a sift cab cover and crate, I know it’s a touchy subject but they might be safe in the trailer...

Where did you get this cover from ?
i was looking into cab covers at first but covid has stopped production on many items and I’m not happy with how some of them look right now.

OP
OP

Rara03p

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I figured heavier guage hardware mesh as it would be a few pieces that could be easily bolted to or removed from the rack & stored. I only need it a few times a year so I want the in & out easy
Nice, that sounds like a good idea. I’ll look into it. I haven’t bought the net yet. I can’t wait to get it set up. Had to take 2 cars to go to the vet today!! Ugh. Which mesh were u thinking?

OP
OP

Rara03p

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
The best setup I’ve seen is when people have removed the rear seat. Not practical for me since I have 3 kids, but there just isn’t very much room back there. Plus, it just awkward for a dog to jump in the back. Not much room on the floor and the seat is rather high. My older husky would struggle to make it in the back seat. The second best method I’ve seen for room would be a hard cap and something soft for them to lay on. Aussies? Good looking dogs bro.
Thanksss. That’s another thing. Not pictured here is my 13 yr old golden and she struggles getting in and out of everything. Does anyone use a dog ramp?

From left to right, Aussie, ACD and bordercollie

Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I don't have a picture handy but this is similar to the one I use and about the same size dog.

I won't let her jump into the backseat in fear of her scratching everything on the way up and in, so I pick her up and put her in, she jumps out on her on though.

dog cover.jpg

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, that sounds like a good idea. I’ll look into it. I haven’t bought the net yet. I can’t wait to get it set up. Had to take 2 cars to go to the vet today!! Ugh. Which mesh were u thinking?
I was thinking something along the lines of this stuff. I dont have an overland rack yet, but I figure bolting that to the inside with a couple of strategically placed nutcerts into the rack install & uninstall could be about 3 minutes with my milwaukee m12 ratchet.

That doesnt address the back which I havent thought too much on, but could be as simple as nutcerts across the top (henged/folding up) & some sort of a cotter pin on each side.

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I was thinking something along the lines of this stuff. I dont have an overland rack yet, but I figure bolting that to the inside with a couple of strategically placed nutcerts into the rack install & uninstall could be about 3 minutes with my milwaukee m12 ratchet.

That doesnt address the back which I havent thought too much on, but could be as simple as nutcerts across the top (henged/folding up) & some sort of a cotter pin on each side.
Look at hog panels from Rural King or TSC.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Look at hog panels from Rural King or TSC.
Same exact concept, except the finish on hog panels is typically pretty poor compared to what I linked. Then again with hog panels as cheap as they are one could get them for all needed area;s & then cut the down to size, & then powdercoat them for a reasonable cost.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve looked at the softtopper but I don’t like that it has no windows on the sides or airflow. I like the d-ring idea so they can roam the bed. I just ordered the jrc half rack. Once it comes in I’ll be measuring it out and making a stop at army surplus to secure the cargo netting. 3-5 week lead times right now on them!! Crazy

I saw on one of the dog threads where someone had an overland rack and covered the sides with safari strap type netting.

I've got four dogs. Although one is older and won't go with us much. The other two are Doberman pups and a standard poodle. With two kids, the bed area seems to be
the best option when the Dobies are full grown.

The Softtopper isn't ideal to me as I'd doubt it'd be sturdy enough to contain them.

For now, dog transport is relegated to the wife's JKU.. that's probably the only thing I miss over the gladiator.
Sponsored