First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
sport s 6 speed, my three adds were cold weather group, hard top, tow package

heated seats and steering wheel are great

has heated mirrors and rear defrost in the hardtop window, not sure if that's standard or if comes with cold weather group?
Sponsored

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
It is a bit more complicated than one line of code because the Gladiator can be started in gear with the clutch engaged (in 4WD-low). Since sales of remote start would be even smaller than the already minuscule five percent take rate for manual transmission owners, and since anyone who actually uses their rig off-road would likely prefer being able to crank the motor in gear over remote start, I suspect Jeep decided potential sales weren't worth the design and testing effort.
That doesnt make remote start any more complicated. Xmsn in neutral, remote start available. Xmsn in gear, remote start unavailable. Also, I tried the starting in gear in 4L the other day and nothing happened. I need to get in the manual and see exactly what parameters need to be met for that to work

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
That doesnt make remote start any more complicated. Xmsn in neutral, remote start available. Xmsn in gear, remote start unavailable. Also, I tried the starting in gear in 4L the other day and nothing happened. I need to get in the manual and see exactly what parameters need to be met for that to work
Even if it's correct, "It's just one line of code" always understates the effort. There is documentation, regression testing, and if there is a false indication from the switch, then someone's kid is getting run over. So, there are backup safety systems for something like this. Also, the clutch pedal switch (what is called the neutral safety switch, but really checks the position of the clutch pedal) does not actually indicate that the transmission is in neutral. It indicates that the clutch is depressed. So, there is a hardware change to implement this, and there are lines of code for the software to now monitor the transmission neutral indicator.

BTW, I just went outside and checked: Your'e right, the 4WD-low start does not work. I use it on occasion in my 2007 Wrangler. I'm going to miss that!

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even if it's correct, "It's just one line of code" always understates the effort. There is documentation, regression testing, and if there is a false indication from the switch, then someone's kid is getting run over. So, there are backup safety systems for something like this. Also, the clutch pedal switch (what is called the neutral safety switch, but really checks the position of the clutch pedal) does not actually indicate that the transmission is in neutral. It indicates that the clutch is depressed. So, there is a hardware change to implement this, and there are lines of code for the software to now monitor the transmission neutral indicator.

BTW, I just went outside and checked: Your'e right, the 4WD-low start does not work. I use it on occasion in my 2007 Wrangler. I'm going to miss that!
As far as the 4L start, I read the manual and it's in there....but says if the vehicle stalls it will restart without depressing clutch. I tried from a cold start....may be different if you stall it first, then try it. I need to test that theory.

Theres already a neutral sensor in the xmsn, if the vehicle shuts off with ess, then you put it in gear, it will tell you that it's in gear.

flyinj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 2500, 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
As I've said, I have that combo. Never had a problem combining them on the Jeep.com builder and just did it there with no problem. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the remote start?

BTW, it's recently been reported that dealers are unable to order the manual at all!

Any more information on not being able to order a manual? I pray it's temporary. We are very close to ordering one! Would have a hard time settling for an Auto. Not getting what I want and paying an extra $2k for it.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Any more information on not being able to order a manual? I pray it's temporary. We are very close to ordering one! Would have a hard time settling for an Auto. Not getting what I want and paying an extra $2k for it.
I first heard about it on this thread: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/posts/456960/

I subsequently was in contact with my salesman and he confirmed that the manual did not show as available when placing a new order that day. He assumed/hoped it was a temporary restriction. For all I know, it could be regional or it may be back to normal altogether now. ??? If you've been working with a particular salesman/dealership, I'd suggest calling them to find out.

Weird stuff has been happening like when my Window Sticker showed up, they refunded the cost of the Trail-Cam with no explanation. Since then some others have received the credit and some not.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
If it's any consolation the auto and how well it's set up to the pentastar is as good as it gets, so you can't make a wrong choice really, you would grow to appreciate it i'm sure, however, follow your gut, if you want the manual, i get it, you have to hold out imo...or look for one already on a lot somewhere. So few trucks available with manuals now, i had to have it and loving it. Yup the resale likely better with auto as another advantage you could sell to yourself but still...i feel like there will be those looking for the manual in the used market too. To me a more stripped down sport s 6-speed will be sought after used for off-road builds...the fully loaded 8.4 uconnect leathers not so much. So i'm not super worried about resale as i went sport s with only 3 basic adds.

flyinj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I first heard about it on this thread: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/posts/456960/

I subsequently was in contact with my salesman and he confirmed that the manual did not show as available when placing a new order that day. He assumed/hoped it was a temporary restriction. For all I know, it could be regional or it may be back to normal altogether now. ??? If you've been working with a particular salesman/dealership, I'd suggest calling them to find out.

Weird stuff has been happening like when my Window Sticker showed up, they refunded the cost of the Trail-Cam with no explanation. Since then some others have received the credit and some not.
Thanks for the information. Reached out to the dealer we've been working with and got confirmation that Jeep closed manual transmission orders for the Gladiator (for the time being). They have no information as to why or how long. I guess now it's a waiting game.

flyinj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's any consolation the auto and how well it's set up to the pentastar is as good as it gets, so you can't make a wrong choice really, you would grow to appreciate it i'm sure, however, follow your gut, if you want the manual, i get it, you have to hold out imo...or look for one already on a lot somewhere. So few trucks available with manuals now, i had to have it and loving it. Yup the resale likely better with auto as another advantage you could sell to yourself but still...i feel like there will be those looking for the manual in the used market too. To me a more stripped down sport s 6-speed will be sought after used for off-road builds...the fully loaded 8.4 uconnect leathers not so much. So i'm not super worried about resale as i went sport s with only 3 basic adds.
I've heard good things about the automatic in the Gladiator, but I'm set on a manual. I like the satisfaction and experience of driving a manual transmission. Glad you were able to get what you wanted and are enjoying it!

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
As far as the 4L start, I read the manual and it's in there....but says if the vehicle stalls it will restart without depressing clutch. I tried from a cold start....may be different if you stall it first, then try it. I need to test that theory.

Theres already a neutral sensor in the xmsn, if the vehicle shuts off with ess, then you put it in gear, it will tell you that it's in gear.
I tried it today in my driveway. First of all, it is tough to stall in 4L/1st gear -- I had to brake pretty hard. Then, when I hit the starter it rolled forward and started easily without depressing the clutch. Then I tried a second time and the starter did not turn. Not sure what was different? Started over and it worked the third time.

Sponsored

flyinj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Off topic, but I noticed the matchbox truck in your profile photo and that it was referenced as a 1970-something Gladiator. My very first vehicle was a 1985 Jeep J10 Pickup. Wikipedia says:

Jeep Gladiator (SJ), a pickup truck made by Jeep from 1962-1988, known as the Jeep J-Series after 1971.

I had no idea that I once owned an original variation of what was once called a Gladiator. I only knew it as a J10. Mine was black, had a 360 V8, Automatic and got 10 miles/gallon on a good day, but it did have power...probably too much for a 16 year old kid.

I grew up in a chevy truck family, so the interior configuration I found strange. The glove box was in the center of the dash. The control for the heater was to the left of the steering wheel (normally those were in the center in every other vehicle I had been in) . This J10 actually had air conditioning. It was factory but the unit and controls were all on the bottom side of the dash. I hardly ever used it. It was so cold it would numb your legs.

Initially it took some investigation to find the lever to shift into 4-wheel drive. Every other pickup I had been in (in those days) had a lever on the center hump. This J10 had a lever underneath the bench seat, to the left of the drivers side of the hump...not visible unless you were looking under the seat. 2-wheel drive position was floor level and you would pull up to engage 4-wheel drive. It was strange to climb into a 4-wheel drive pickup with a bench seat and have a bare hump, but convenient when you had a third person to carry.

Another strange thing about the truck was that it had the light on the back of the cab to illuminate the bed from the factory, and the wiring installed up to a punchout just below the roof on the left side of the drivers head, but no switch. Just a cover indicating that a switch could be installed. I ended up ordering the factory switch for it, but thought it strange that everything was there, but the switch...from the factory.

I didn't own it very long, but it was a solid truck. I regretted getting rid of it and going into a 4-cylinder 1987 Ford Ranger (to save on gas). That one had a piston ring break idling in the driveway to warm up on a cold winter morning. It was junk.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tried it today in my driveway. First of all, it is tough to stall in 4L/1st gear -- I had to brake pretty hard. Then, when I hit the starter it rolled forward and started easily without depressing the clutch. Then I tried a second time and the starter did not turn. Not sure what was different? Started over and it worked the third time.
Yeah...I tried stalling it in first and it wanted to pull through some pretty significant braking. Guess I'll just have to try again.
Sponsored