Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I hacked hood vents in my XJ hood to drop under hood temperature but it was mainly for low speed cooling not high speed, now the bad part of it is damn birds try to nest on engine. 🙄 I added hood vents in a extra hood I had and put it on my MJ cooler temps but most at low speeds unlucky my OEM hood disappeared during my moving to AL. from GA. or it would be back on. I'm interested in how this goes on hood vents.
Sponsored

WSU JKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2019 JLU, 2012 JKU, '46 CJ2A
Well, I couldn't help myself. I did it. Wasn't so hard to do. Got new panel fasteners at NAPA and what started out as a test of removing the hood insulating panel turned in to me doing the whole thing. I cut the bottoms out of the vents, cut out the space in the panel and reinstalled everything without issue. I do wish there was a way to finish the edges of the cut panel just to keep it neat. But otherwise it looks fine. I am also hopeful that this might help keep my engine mounted compressor cool.
20211009_014647.jpg
20211009_014612.jpg
Probably a good idea with the ARB under there! I need to do mine as well.

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Probably a good idea with the ARB under there! I need to do mine as well.
You might want to figure out a way of sealing the edges, I got a critter under the hoods of a couple of my cars, and the edges of the liner were chewed up for nesting material. I ended up putting aluminum tape around the edges to discourage it. It seems rubber hosing is just as tasty. You can see the odd shape around the left vent, which was transported to the battery cover for a nice cozy bed. Also, the back left foam seal was chewed up pretty good too. I stuck a sticky trap on top of the battery, but no luck yet. I pretty much just drive this on weekends, so I think it being parked gives the critters some opportunity.

But, you can really see the heat dump out when driving and coming to a stop, so definitely a good thing for the compressor. I have only done a little air down/up with the compressor, so it hasn't had any hard work to do and I haven't pushed the duty cycle. I may still install an 813 plate in there if I notice anything, but I have other things to attend to before that.

Jeep Gladiator Hood Vents? 20211118_115558
Sponsored