Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
No. Cant bring myself to do it to the Mojave hood.
Thought about it....but didn't do it

If I had the plain hood it would be done already
Well, I couldn't help myself. I did it. Wasn't so hard to do. Got new panel fasteners at NAPA and what started out as a test of removing the hood insulating panel turned in to me doing the whole thing. I cut the bottoms out of the vents, cut out the space in the panel and reinstalled everything without issue. I do wish there was a way to finish the edges of the cut panel just to keep it neat. But otherwise it looks fine. I am also hopeful that this might help keep my engine mounted compressor cool.
Jeep Gladiator Hood Vents? 20211009_014647
Jeep Gladiator Hood Vents? 20211009_014612
Sponsored

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Much appreciated! Great community here n this forum. Although I prefer the negative-pressure vent style of the stock fake configuration, I like the neatness of this. Keeps the inside shield from looking hacked up. Once this is off backorder, the SB may be my solution.
I have a set of these sitting in my garage that I removed from my Rubicon when I sold it. I kept the S&B intake and installed it on my new Gladiator, but I have the scoops for sale if you're interested.

Danzigsdad

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 85 Toyota 4WD, 2000 Landrover Disco II
Occupation
Mil
S & B for reference. Sorry for the two posts. Install was easier to execute than the directions.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Noob question here. I am 2 months into owning my first Jeep and loving it. However I was surprised to find out that the hood vents on my JTR are not functional. I own Challenger SPWB that has open hood vents for heat dissipation. They are truly functional and let out a lot of heat from under the hood. You can actually see it at a stop (at speed they also help with pressure build up and handling at speed, but not an issue here with the MT 3.6!) . Three years in and no issues with water in the engine bay. I have a lot of custom mods under the hood and everything seems to stay clean and dry. For the JTR I don't see many options for making them functional aside from cutting the bottoms out or a couple ram options that don't make sense physics-wise. It bothers me that there are fake vents in my hood. What is the overall opinion or experience with opening them up? Any good aftermarket options? I am tempted to take my Dremel to them and cut out the the bottoms and the hood insulation to let them do their job. I bought my JT for camping, trailer towing, light trail driving and occasional rough stuff. BTW I love this truck and can't stop smiling every time I drive it.
I think its a dumb idea. It may help. But then again, it may not. The vehicle was engineered to run without the vents. So its fine.

If it bothers you that much, you may be better off swapping for a truck with a plain hood. Then you won't have to look at the fake vents. You could probably make some money off the swap since a lot of people would like to have the "vented" hood of a Rubicon or Mojave.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I think its a dumb idea. It may help. But then again, it may not. The vehicle was engineered to run without the vents. So its fine.

If it bothers you that much, you may be better off swapping for a truck with a plain hood. Then you won't have to look at the fake vents. You could probably make some money off the swap since a lot of people would like to have the "vented" hood of a Rubicon or Mojave.
I don't disagree and that is a smart thing to do a swap. I just took a trip to Oregon and back. Glad I brought the JT because I would have destroyed my Challenger going down muddy gravelly roads to get to wineries. Just like on my Challenger SPWB, which has open vents, you can literally see the heat coming out. When pulling off to fuel up, or even heading to some place down a long, rainy wet dirt road, the heat dump out quite a bit. If nothing else, it helps keep the excess heat off the compressor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a set of these sitting in my garage that I removed from my Rubicon when I sold it. I kept the S&B intake and installed it on my new Gladiator, but I have the scoops for sale if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer. For now I am going to ride with the current setup and look for some finishing material for the edges.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't disagree and that is a smart thing to do a swap. I just took a trip to Oregon and back. Glad I brought the JT because I would have destroyed my Challenger going down muddy gravelly roads to get to wineries. Just like on my Challenger SPWB, which has open vents, you can literally see the heat coming out. When pulling off to fuel up, or even making down to some place down a long, rainy wet dirt road, the heat dump out quite a bit. If nothing else, it helps keep the excess heat of the compressor.
Its funny. I am close to purchasing a Mojave. The fact that the vent is fake and the hood is steel annoys the hell out of me. I can't speak from first hand experience, but the plain aluminum hood on the base trucks must weigh 1/2 as much. Ha.

But the Mojave vent is really dumb. Like you said, getting heat out is most important. And the Mojave is setup wrong to do that.

Though if the fender vents were real, the scoop combined with them would probably cool the engine compartment pretty well. Based on eyeball engineering, I'd guess the fender vents are located in an area of very low pressure. So they would work well at speed.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I don't have a Mojave, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Mojave hood is a direct swap with anything else. You need to swap the cowl too.

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Its funny. I am close to purchasing a Mojave. The fact that the vent is fake and the hood is steel annoys the hell out of me. I can't speak from first hand experience, but the plain aluminum hood on the base trucks must weigh 1/2 as much. Ha.

But the Mojave vent is really dumb. Like you said, getting heat out is most important. And the Mojave is setup wrong to do that.

Though if the fender vents were real, the scoop combined with them would probably cool the engine compartment pretty well. Based on eyeball engineering, I'd guess the fender vents are located in an area of very low pressure. So they would work well at speed.
The vents are reverse angled to create low pressure, similar to the Challenger SPWB vented hood, and coming to a stop, you can see the vented heat come out. Same guy may have been working on both projects! I don't think this has big implications for engine cooling, which is largely dependent on cooling capacity of the radiator/fan, but peripherals, etc. like my engine-mounted compressor will likely stay cooler. I read a lot here and elsewhere that the main concern with that compressor setup is high engine bay heat reducing the duty cycle of the compressor. In the Challenger I read that the vents are more about relieving pressure in the engine bay to help keep the front end stuck to the road at speed and maximize the downward force of the front splitter. (I have been "at speed" and can attest to the awesome handling). The front scoop on that hood was designed for the hellcat (same hood) and directs air over the supercharger to help with temp. Not worried about speed and superchargers in the JTR! I debated Rubicon and Mojave, even Willy's but in the end it came down to availability but I still wonder a bit about Mojave-just a really cool setup. The Mojave scoop was a bit worrisome, thinking about following people on a trail an sucking in all that dirt. But I haven't seen many complaints here about that. After a 2K mile road trip through heavy rain, dirt, and a bit of mud the engine bay stayed pretty dry and clean so I am happy with my choice.

BTW, on the trip, I noticed that I really had to push hard to get the JTR to heat up a bit. It was rock solid 197 degrees oil temp and up to 200 degrees coolant even going up the 5 Grapevine /Tejon pass which is 2600 feet in 10 miles at about 60-70 mph. I barely peaked 212 oil and coolant and it dropped pretty quickly once at the top. It was 90+ degrees out.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The vents are reverse angled to create low pressure, similar to the Challenger SPWB vented hood, and coming to a stop, you can see the vented heat come out. Same guy may have been working on both projects! I don't think this has big implications for engine cooling, which is largely dependent on cooling capacity of the radiator/fan, but peripherals, etc. like my engine-mounted compressor will likely stay cooler. I read a lot here and elsewhere that the main concern with that compressor setup is high engine bay heat reducing the duty cycle of the compressor. In the Challenger I read that the vents are more about relieving pressure in the engine bay to help keep the front end stuck to the road at speed and maximize the downward force of the front splitter. (I have been "at speed" and can attest to the awesome handling). The front scoop on that hood was designed for the hellcat (same hood) and directs air over the supercharger to help with temp. Not worried about speed and superchargers in the JTR! I debated Rubicon and Mojave, even Willy's but in the end it came down to availability but I still wonder a bit about Mojave-just a really cool setup. The Mojave scoop was a bit worrisome, thinking about following people on a trail an sucking in all that dirt. But I haven't seen many complaints here about that. After a 2K mile road trip through heavy rain, dirt, and a bit of mud the engine bay stayed pretty dry and clean so I am happy with my choice.

BTW, on the trip, I noticed that I really had to push hard to get the JTR to heat up a bit. It was rock solid 197 degrees oil temp and up to 200 degrees coolant even going up the 5 Grapevine /Tejon pass which is 2600 feet in 10 miles at about 60-70 mph. I barely peaked 212 oil and coolant and it dropped pretty quickly once at the top. It was 90+ degrees out.
The Mojave scoop is fake. So no risk of stuff being sucked in through it.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Before hacking hoods, maybe consider doing some manometer testing to see if something might actually work to extract air. If it increases pressure in the engine bay, it'll make the radiator less effective. Manometer testing is cheap and easy; all you need is some clear tubing, a roll of masking tape, some water, some food coloring, and a day with nice weather. It's so cheap and easy to find out if cutting open vents is a good thing that it's silly not to.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
As the previous poster with the TJ stated, and showed, the hood vents (if opened) in their location will slightly relieve ambient underhood temperatures at a standstill. The areas of low pressure along the hood will be toward the front. Nearing the windshield creates a highpressure zone that is quite turbulent, and won't do much at speed.

A vent positioned immediately aft of the cooling fan is likely the only real solution to impact the engine's actual temperature, as it would enhance the efficiency of the radiator. That said, the entire engine compartment has been analyzed by engineers much smarter than I am, and they have accounted for cooling of all of the engine's components. For instance, if you're underneath the jeep when its on, most of the fan's wind will divert there. Creating new holes in the hood could impact the way the cooling system operates.

I installed two functional vents in my JK where the hood "UFOs" are. They clearly relieved heat, especially when the Jeep was parked and the underhood temps lowered much more quickly. Whether or not that had any ACTUAL benefit besides me thinking it did... Not so sure. Our govt vehicles had louvers in vehicles that will likely be idling still for long periods of time in high temperatures, and I believe those work quite well for that specific situation. For towing, wheeling, high speed runs, etc... vents will do next to nothing.

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Thanks for the offer. For now I am going to ride with the current setup and look for some finishing material for the edges.
on my elcamino I used just 1/8in tubing and wrapped the edges of my hood where my supercharger stuck out of the hood, so I wouldnt cut my hand.
Sponsored