How can I reset computer for smog/egr?

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
I Purchased my truck from out of state. California requires any vehicle purchased out of state smog before I can be registered.

when I bought it in Idaho, I jumped on the freeway and just went straight home. So about 10 hours of freeway speeds. Because of this the smog requirements were not met by the computer and EGR set up.

I have the drive cycle instructions and would like to reset the computer so I can basically go from scratch and get this thing to pass smog.

Here’s the problem, I cannot figure out how to fully kill all power to this thing. I remove the terminals from the main battery. Removed the connections from the main battery terminals to the secondary start/stop battery. And remove the connection to the inner fender for the secondary battery.

I don’t think I’m getting all the power, because when I cook everything back up and start the truck, all my radio presets are still there, and my average mileage has not reset back to zero either.

what other connection am I missing?
Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
There's no need to reset anything, you just need to finish checking all the boxes of the various drive checks before it flips over to "ready to test."

Which is a different question than "how to I fully kill power" which is also a good one

OP
OP
antwon412

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
There's no need to reset anything, you just need to finish checking all the boxes of the various drive checks before it flips over to "ready to test."

Which is a different question than "how to I fully kill power" which is also a good one
Anyway to get that information without having to continually go back and have the smog guy put a device on to check?

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Anyway to get that information without having to continually go back and have the smog guy put a device on to check?
A code reader that can view I/M Readiness. Not too terribly expensive on Amazon or perhaps a 6 pack to borrow one from a buddy.

Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I Purchased my truck from out of state. California requires any vehicle purchased out of state smog before I can be registered.

when I bought it in Idaho, I jumped on the freeway and just went straight home. So about 10 hours of freeway speeds. Because of this the smog requirements were not met by the computer and EGR set up.

I have the drive cycle instructions and would like to reset the computer so I can basically go from scratch and get this thing to pass smog.

Here’s the problem, I cannot figure out how to fully kill all power to this thing. I remove the terminals from the main battery. Removed the connections from the main battery terminals to the secondary start/stop battery. And remove the connection to the inner fender for the secondary battery.

I don’t think I’m getting all the power, because when I cook everything back up and start the truck, all my radio presets are still there, and my average mileage has not reset back to zero either.

what other connection am I missing?
Just an FYI, it sounds like you got all the battery connections, but those won't have any bearing on what you mentioned. You'll know you have both disconnected if you open the driver door and the EVIC stays off (no push button to start message).

The radio has its own internal battery (or non-volatile memory), so disconnecting the external batteries won't touch those settings.

I believe it is the same with the EVIC, that info won't reset by just pulling the batteries.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
I can't believe a new vehicle needs smog. New cars should be exempt for at least 2 years

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I know this issue. I had to go through it with a new Chevy from out of state. You have to get all the monitors running for it to pass smog. On a new car, this takes some driving. Each vehicle is different, but, usually the procedure for enabling the monitors is opposite to the break in procedure. After driving it on the fwy for 10 hours, I am shocked that all the monitors are not running yet... That is puzzling.. Resetting should not be required..
Sponsored