How do you guys carry your kayaks?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
What a beautiful classic Landcruiser. Love it. At about 200 lbs the Hobie Tandem Island is a beast to lift and launch. I have no idea how you get that off the roof, into the water, and back on the roof at the launch site without superhuman strength. I'm using a Trail-X tandem island trailer including the two cradles for the hull and akas. I can pretty much launch and recover by myself. I bought from our local Hobie dealership which had it shipped to them and assembled. I think I could have done a better job with the assembly and had to make some adjustments. At least the hubs are sealed so I can back down further and the frame is aluminum since I am in salt or brackish water many times. Fair winds and following seas my friend!
Thanks ! I want to take out the Tandem island with the Gladiator, so, I will look into that trailer. Regarding the Landcruiser, yes, loading is not that easy. I put the Trax Kayak cart in the back most holes in the Tandem Island (instead of the middle), then, I lift the front of the Tandem Island and set it on the PVC strakes, which I have melted down the front and curled them down so they will not scratch the boat, then, I just slide it down on the strakes. I have a notch melted in one of the PVC for the black piece in one of the strakes to set the balance length on the pipes correctly. It is kind of a pain, and I normally load up the night before because it takes me about an hour to lower the boat from the garage attic, wheel it out, and load everything up. Have you tried the Spinnaker ? I have one, and it really improves the speed downwind -- but, I am always getting the lines mixed up and it has increased my frustration level... lol..

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Thanks ! I want to take out the Tandem island with the Gladiator, so, I will look into that trailer. Regarding the Landcruiser, yes, loading is not that easy. I put the Trax Kayak cart in the back most holes in the Tandem Island (instead of the middle), then, I lift the front of the Tandem Island and set it on the PVC strakes, which I have melted down the front and curled them down so they will not scratch the boat, then, I just slide it down on the strakes. I have a notch melted in one of the PVC for the black piece in one of the strakes to set the balance length on the pipes correctly. It is kind of a pain, and I normally load up the night before because it takes me about an hour to lower the boat from the garage attic, wheel it out, and load everything up. Have you tried the Spinnaker ? I have one, and it really improves the speed downwind -- but, I am always getting the lines mixed up and it has increased my frustration level... lol..
Very cool. All I have to do is tighten the straps holding the boat on the trailer and go. I keep them loose while stored. During our last camping trip I strapped on the big gazelle tent, 12' canopy, multiple folding chairs, tarps, and a cooler. Plus packing other gear in the storage compartments. Wish I'd taken a picture. Haven't tried the spinnaker on the hobie yet, although I've used them on bigger sailboats. I just adjust the main sail for downwind and try to keep it simple on this platform. Plus, not sure we'd have much benefit based on the weather conditions here and where we use it. I recently had perfect conditions while camping on a lake during spring break and heading downwind with just the main sail was pretty exciting.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Just picked up our first ever kayaks this weekend. We got 2. Mine is an 11 footer, and the wifes is a 10 footer. Currently I have a tri fold soft cover on my bed. I have the option of putting on a TUWA Pro headache rack instead of the cover, but not sure that would help anything.

Currently I am looking at picking up a harbor freight bed extender, but that doesnt look like its arms would be wife enough to haul 2 on it??

currently weighing all my options on how i want to haul them. I would love to be able to keep my tri fold soft cover on somehow and not have to take it off and on every time i want to haul the kayaks. I know I could do 1 easily, but not sure on 2.

Also the bed is bedlined, so ill have to figure out how to keep the yaks from just being cheese grated by the truck bed if I lay it in the bed.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Very cool. All I have to do is tighten the straps holding the boat on the trailer and go. I keep them loose while stored. During our last camping trip I strapped on the big gazelle tent, 12' canopy, multiple folding chairs, tarps, and a cooler. Plus packing other gear in the storage compartments. Wish I'd taken a picture. Haven't tried the spinnaker on the hobie yet, although I've used them on bigger sailboats. I just adjust the main sail for downwind and try to keep it simple on this platform. Plus, not sure we'd have much benefit based on the weather conditions here and where we use it. I recently had perfect conditions while camping on a lake during spring break and heading downwind with just the main sail was pretty exciting.
Tandem Island owner here now too.
As kayaks go Its a heavy beast of a boat. Glad mine came with a trailer.
As a sailboat though its a breeze to launch/retrieve from the trailer.

Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 20230617_153800

Sponsored

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Just picked up our first ever kayaks this weekend. We got 2. Mine is an 11 footer, and the wifes is a 10 footer. Currently I have a tri fold soft cover on my bed. I have the option of putting on a TUWA Pro headache rack instead of the cover, but not sure that would help anything.

Currently I am looking at picking up a harbor freight bed extender, but that doesnt look like its arms would be wife enough to haul 2 on it??

currently weighing all my options on how i want to haul them. I would love to be able to keep my tri fold soft cover on somehow and not have to take it off and on every time i want to haul the kayaks. I know I could do 1 easily, but not sure on 2.

Also the bed is bedlined, so ill have to figure out how to keep the yaks from just being cheese grated by the truck bed if I lay it in the bed.
I also haul my 14' Dagger sea kayak without a bed extender. No problem. Just toss it in the bed with the tailgate down and strap down the bow first followed by straps around the midbody at the tailgate to hold in place.

Not sure what kind of bed liner you have, but mine is a Line-X and no issues with regards to excessive rubbing, hull damage, etc...

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
This is how I do it for now... I am currently playing with unistrut and am working out a top mount, but am not there yet.

Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 1692043009010

JCT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 3.6, 8-Speed
I recently finished making my own bedrail / rack system out of strut channel. No welding.

Have to say, it's great. It was made to work with my Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover (not in photos) and allows for me to have the soft top down with the canoe on. It only cost a few hundred to build, is fully adjustable, and the biggest single expense was having the brackets cut/bent at a shop based on my cardboard template. Painted it with Tremclad using a brush and roller.

When the hard top is on during winter, I can incorporate the Thule kit I already have from a previous vehicle, with the rain gutter foot pack. But really no need.

I should improve the fasteners in some places, install some eye bolts on the cross bars and buy some nicer straps. Other than that, breaks down easily for storage and quite sturdy. I've used it twice, so far, on long drives with light trails at the end and no complaints.

20230729_175153.jpg

20230729_175608.jpg

20230729_175622.jpg

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
This is how I do it for now... I am currently playing with unistrut and am working out a top mount, but am not there yet.

Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 20230729_175622
I have been carrying mine for years this way and it has worked well except lose a lot of use of my bed for carrying other camping/fishing gear. I have found I want that bed space back so I bought a Harbor Freight 4 x 8 trailer and have converted it to carrying my kayak. Easy to load/unload and gives me access to my bed again. Most of my launch points are not offroad at this time so not sure if the trailer would be good for that

jefrac

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '08 Porsche Cayman, '06 Lotus Elise
Occupation
Business Owner
Rhino Rack works really well for a 17' long 48lb kayak.

Kayak truck top.jpg