How do you guys carry your kayaks?

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
My only option is a trailer with the 18' Hobie Tandem Island kayak. But a trailer is pretty easy for launch and recovery of larger kayaks and something to consider. Plus it leaves the bed free for gear. Before I bought this trailer with sealed hubs, I had a cheap Harbor Freight trailer that I modified and got me down the road for a few years.
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? image4
Sponsored

sep

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland 2015 Wrangler JK
Occupation
Manager
What is this combo you have? I'm looking for tonneau and rack combo. My Kayak is about 75lbs though so not so sure getting it to this height is what I'm after. I currently have a Mopar trifold soft tonneau that I'd rather not replace yet - any idea if that would work with this rack?
https://www.agricover.com/adarac/pro/

I have always had good experience with the Access roll up covers, and have no complaints. I do not have the expectation or need for the cover to be water tight and this set up meet the expectation and my needs.

Very happy with the rack itself and the accessories for it. It is a drill install, and I'm OK with that. I am not sure if this rack is compatible with the Mopar cover, but they do list the covers it is compatible with on the site.

The kayak is almost 100lbs and I have a hell of a time loading it and unloading it. Looks at picking up a couple of the e-z load rollers in the future.

Shawn

MASS_JT

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yakima bars on my ARE cap with Malone kayak cradles. Although I need to use a step ladder to get ‘em on and off. I’m 6’5” but it’s a pretty high reach.

Looks great! Been eyeing the leer cap and also have a soft top, would you mind showing a pic of the side of your Jeep? Thanks
3463576B-57F7-4637-9EA4-A6FDEF17C2E0.jpeg

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
Haven't read the whole thread, but with tailgate down, my wife just loads the two 10 footers in the back of the bed and lets em hang out over the tailgate. She puts a flag on em, but personally I wouldn't bother. They are tied down with tie downs in the bed. No problems, but she's not driving hundreds of miles with em like that.

Sponsored

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 1686830047094

KB Voodoo VRS rack (with folding kayak carrier on the top of the rack)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
My only option is a trailer with the 18' Hobie Tandem Island kayak. But a trailer is pretty easy for launch and recovery of larger kayaks and something to consider. Plus it leaves the bed free for gear. Before I bought this trailer with sealed hubs, I had a cheap Harbor Freight trailer that I modified and got me down the road for a few years.
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 1686830047094
Nice ! Where did you get the trailer ? I have the same Tandem Island and carry it on top of my Landcruiser, but, I wanted something easier with the Gladiator. The Trailer seems to be our only option...
Here is my current setup - which is too much work - Note: I use black PVC pipes on the strakes to slide the Kayak on from the back.

8czLpn.jpg

flsdXB.jpg

2xjjxU.jpg

Sponsored

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Registered Nurse
No problem fitting them over the crossbars?
I needed the longer bolts that go through the platform of the kayak carrier that I originally lost - so I had to go purchase them again. That’s about it.

Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? IMG_4217

Gladiator23

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Trukd 24.5 v2 racks and Thule saddle for the 12ft Kayak. Also has Jeep hard tri-fold tonneau cover.
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? PXL_20230616_172859423

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Nice ! Where did you get the trailer ? I have the same Tandem Island and carry it on top of my Landcruiser, but, I wanted something easier with the Gladiator. The Trailer seems to be our only option...
Here is my current setup - which is too much work - Note: I use black PVC pipes on the strakes to slide the Kayak on from the back.

What a beautiful classic Landcruiser. Love it. At about 200 lbs the Hobie Tandem Island is a beast to lift and launch. I have no idea how you get that off the roof, into the water, and back on the roof at the launch site without superhuman strength. I'm using a Trail-X tandem island trailer including the two cradles for the hull and akas. I can pretty much launch and recover by myself. I bought from our local Hobie dealership which had it shipped to them and assembled. I think I could have done a better job with the assembly and had to make some adjustments. At least the hubs are sealed so I can back down further and the frame is aluminum since I am in salt or brackish water many times. Fair winds and following seas my friend!
Sponsored