How they steal Jeeps caught on camera

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
A true professional shows up with a roll-back or a lift truck…. In and out in 60 seconds.
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As someone who lives near Toronto, I've done a few things to help protect against this... Unfortunately, nothing is 100%, but at minimum to slow them down.

1. Kill switch. The vehicle physically cannot be moved until this switch is turned on
2. Hood locks
3. Moved the horn wire to be inaccessible from the grill
4. Enabled horn on hood with JSCAN (Tested and it works, don't test this in the garage... its loud)
5. OBD Locking Port

Not everyone has this option unfortunately, but try to park it in your garage if it fits or block it in with another less desirable vehicle.
Thanks for your post. I had read it before. I'd forgotten you posted.

Our lawn sprinkler guy had his Gladiator stolen/recovered. He told us to put locks on, and we did.

What's happened with insurance rates?

RoamingGladiator

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for your post. I had read it before. I'd forgotten you posted.

Our lawn sprinkler guy had his Gladiator stolen/recovered. He told us to put locks on, and we did.

What's happened with insurance rates?
Oddly enough, I'm paying sub $200/m for my 21 JTRD just east of Toronto. Nearly $100 less a month than my Wrangler.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Somebody posted something similar a while ago:

https://www.paving.org/index.php/security-posts/
Can't see the fold down with a padlock being anything really secure. Not when so many bolt cutters are out there.
The only thing I can see as being worthwhile is something electronic - anything going past it alerts you, or any tampering with it alerts you.
When someone comes up to your front yard, 30 feet from your front window, and takes a whole set of Christmas decorations that were anchored to the ground and would take a large car or a van to haul away........... a padlock won't stop 'em (most of which can be easily opened even without bolt cutters.
I like the idea of a post - but a padlock, IMO, moves it way down the line from good security to just "ok".

Sponsored

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
Can't see the fold down with a padlock being anything really secure. Not when so many bolt cutters are out there.
The only thing I can see as being worthwhile is something electronic - anything going past it alerts you, or any tampering with it alerts you.
When someone comes up to your front yard, 30 feet from your front window, and takes a whole set of Christmas decorations that were anchored to the ground and would take a large car or a van to haul away........... a padlock won't stop 'em (most of which can be easily opened even without bolt cutters.
I like the idea of a post - but a padlock, IMO, moves it way down the line from good security to just "ok".
I like the one that retracts into the ground 👍

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BMW IX Electric, '23 Diesel Gladiator
Occupation
Live on welfare.
Side topic..any reason why Jeep has NEVER made lockable hood lockers? It doesnt cost much if Amazon can be selling lockable lockers for under $100. But hey, they put lockable rear seat compartments if u wanna store stuff and have the roof off?? Trying to understand Jeep's logic here.

CampThree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Mojave, 1993 C1500 Silverado,
Occupation
Retired US Marine
Another reason to never leave valuables (guns, cash etc) in your vehicle even if it's in a console or under seat safe.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Side topic..any reason why Jeep has NEVER made lockable hood lockers? It doesnt cost much if Amazon can be selling lockable lockers for under $100. But hey, they put lockable rear seat compartments if u wanna store stuff and have the roof off?? Trying to understand Jeep's logic here.
Maybe because you don't have to open the hood to steal a Jeep?
Like so many other things - Jeep people may want their own type of locks, if any at all.
Could be any number of reasons, including like some of the surveys I've participated in "would you be willing to pay xx for yyy" and often, I'd say no - because I wanted it to be my choice.
As an option or accessory is fine - but don't make it mandatory.

Iinux38

First Name
Lenix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oscar Mike Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
I brought a club (steering wheel lock) last week since car theft is back on the rise in my area. I also enabled the hood alarm via my Tazer and also added a kill switch. As a friend of mine stated, they don’t want attention, or having to work for it when there are other cars they can go after.
Sponsored