James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed an Iron Rock 2 inch lift kit with DT8000 Prerunner shocks on my Overland. Thought I would share my install experience and post installation thoughts for others considering this path. The folks over at Iron Rock were great about answering questions before purchase. Shipment of the parts was fast and everything was well wrapped and packaged. Spacers are extremely well built and made of steel - not plastic. The instructions for doing the lift with new shocks were a bit lacking. One oversight in the instructions was torque specs weren't covered and I had to search like hell online to find them - and I'm still not sure if I torqued everything correctly. Iron Rock claims the install is level one, but I would argue that it's a bit more advanced even for mechanically inclined people. Installation of the front spacers went relatively smoothly. Installation of the back spacer was a royal pain in the rear. The back would not drop enough to insert the spacer - I had everything taken apart and loosened beyond what was called for and still no go. I had to purchase a spring compressor to finish the install and pry into place. Cheap one use tools at Harbor Freight are the way to go if you have the same issue. With the kit installed I took a test drive. The ride height is obviously noticeable while driving - I like! The track of the vehicle was straight and I don't think an alignment will be needed. I could only feel a very slight (and I mean very slight) difference in roll feeling during turns, but that's to be expected since the center of gravity is higher. I was happily surprised that the DT8000 shocks felt better than the stock Mopar. I had heard mixed reviews about them, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I'll be pairing the lift with new Falken Wildpeak 285/75R18 tires on the stock Overland rims shortly. The Falkens are E rated so I'm hoping they don't stiffen the ride too much. Overall I would recommend the Iron Rock lift kit for it's value and quality. Most people will be able to do the install themselves.

Here's a pic of the vehicle pre-install:

Here's a pic of the vehicle post-install - new tires not installed:

Edit - photo with 35s installed added:

Jeep Gladiator Iron Rock 2 Inch Lift Kit Installed IMG_6721 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I used iro parts on my WJ when I lifted it. They are a good company. Definitely this kit would be for a budget build. IMO

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I used iro parts on my WJ when I lifted it. They are a good company. Definitely this kit would be for a budget build. IMO
It's definitely a budget build - after buying the gladiator that's all I can afford. lol

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I cant tell from the item page but is this 2in spacers for front AND rear?

edit**

Watched the video and it is in fact 2in front and rear. Looks like a good lift, I like the shock extensions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I cant tell from the item page but is this 2in spacers for front AND rear?

edit**

Watched the video and it is in fact 2in front and rear. Looks like a good lift, I like the shock extensions.

Two very heavy duty steel spacers front and rear - not the plastic you will find in a lot of other kits. There is a drop down on the page that lets you customize the kit and pick between shock extensions for your existing shocks or Hydro Shocks, DT8000 shocks, or Bilstein shocks. I picked the DT8000 shocks and they work really well on road. Will be on back roads of NC in a week and will see how they do off road then.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some pics of the vehicle post-install - new tires installed (285/75R18):

The jeep handles much better with wheel sawing slightly reduced. Tires are set to 40PSI and I'll adjust that later for better performance if needed. Tires grip nicely and road noise is minimal - really haven't noticed the difference vs the stock tires - haven't been up to highway speeds yet though. I thought I would be in for a really bouncy ride, but that's not the case - ride quality nearly the same, but just a little more bounce now.

Time to start saving for the next upgrade...

EDIT: 36 PSI seems to be the right setting for this configuration.

Last edited:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Looks great, IMO that is the perfect tire size, a little taller than most 35" tires and not too wide so they stick out or make it track weird on the highway.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
This is really capturing my attention more and more.

I currently have 1.5in front and 0.75in rear. Looks almost level. But ive noticed shes a hair nose high as i get flashed for my low beams all the time now. I also intend to tow and kinda want the factory rake back to account for the sag from a heavy tongue weight.

please let us know how it drives after a while. Im bery curious about the ride quality

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
This is really capturing my attention more and more.

I currently have 1.5in front and 0.75in rear. Looks almost level. But ive noticed shes a hair nose high as i get flashed for my low beams all the time now. I also intend to tow and kinda want the factory rake back to account for the sag from a heavy tongue weight.

please let us know how it drives after a while. Im bery curious about the ride quality
Spent 10 hours going from FL to NC and another 10 coming back. Unfortunately, I was pulling a small trailer on the highway so I can't provide highway mpg at this time. Tires performed well in rain and excellent on gravel and mud. Sawing on the wheel was somewhat reduced as previously stated - wider tires definitely help. The ride has just a little more bounce with the new shocks and E rated tires, but I don't mind - drove a 2500 HD Crew with factory lift for 8 years. I am certain that near ride quality could be maintained by going with the shock extensions and keping factory shocks (see kit info above). Around town (no trailer) I am getting 14.8 to 15.2 mpg even with these big tires and a lead foot. I picked up another Overland wheel and Falken tire so that I can run a full size in the event of a flat - being out a full size spare made me nervous.

Pic Overland wheel with Falken 285/75R18 in the wheel well:

I'll add highway mileage when I get a chance.

For me, this is the perfect balance of height and aggressive wheels. The tires look much bigger than the picture makes them look I think. The JT is my daily driver and I would definitely recommend going this path - factory rim and Falken Wildpeak 285/75R18 tires.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
awesome! thanks for the intel. I really think ill be going with this lift and probably sticking with the 285 tire size. I was afraid it would look silly with the lift but it looks very nice IMO.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
JUST realized that im running 285/70/17 which are 32.8in and your 285/75/18 's are closer to 34.8in. Makes me hesitant because I really dont want to have the small shoe look that ford super dutys have.

I cant tell what size the fella's tires are in the second video? any gueses?

1.jpg

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
JUST realized that im running 285/70/17 which are 32.8in and your 285/75/18 's are closer to 34.8in. Makes me hesitant because I really dont want to have the small shoe look that ford super dutys have.

I cant tell what size the fella's tires are in the second video? any gueses?

1.jpg
Pretty sure in the second video he's running 255/75R17 (BF Goodrich Mud Terrains).

A great place to compare tire sizes is here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Use the tire comparison tab and you can compare two sizes together.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure in the second video he's running 255/75R17 (BF Goodrich Mud Terrains).

A great place to compare tire sizes is here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Use the tire comparison tab and you can compare two sizes together.
Thanks. That website is my go to for figuring out what I am looking at! Very good info.
Sponsored