Sponsored

Is 58 degrees warm enough to install softtop?

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Because it wasn't when I installed a trektop nx on a 2 door years ago but I bought a brand new premium softop for my gladiator from someone and want to install it soon and am wondering if the fabric is more forgiving than the vinyl-like material from my trektop.

It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I plan to lay it out in the yard to make it more forgiving when installing. Or should I wait for it to warm up more in southern Ohio?
Sponsored

GoolsbyMD77

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Military
It’s always warm enough for a soft top. The heaters in these things are insane. I only have a premium soft top and have used it all winter to the single digits. With a beanie on I’m perfectly fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
It’s always warm enough for a soft top. The heaters in these things are insane. I only have a premium soft top and have used it all winter to the single digits. With a beanie on I’m perfectly fine.
No I agree the soft top is fine all year round but this is a new, never installed top so the material has not been flexed and stretched yet.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
I have kept mine on all winter... The Jeep gets plenty hot

Jakeyou

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
No I agree the soft top is fine all year round but this is a new, never installed top so the material has not been flexed and stretched yet.
Keep it in the house for a couple of hours before you try to install it might help.

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Because it wasn't when I installed a trektop nx on a 2 door years ago but I bought a brand new premium softop for my gladiator from someone and want to install it soon and am wondering if the fabric is more forgiving than the vinyl-like material from my trektop.

It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I plan to lay it out in the yard to make it more forgiving when installing. Or should I wait for it to warm up more in southern Ohio?
Let it sit in the sun awhile first then it should be fine

Sponsored

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
I have the softop on year round. There's no such thing as "too cold" for it.
Just to be clear, it's not about the soft top keeping me warm enough when it's on the truck, it's about will the fabric stretch enough to be able to be installed in 60 degree weather.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Just to be clear, it's not about the soft top keeping me warm enough when it's on the truck, it's about will the fabric stretch enough to be able to be installed in 60 degree weather.
Good luck with this battle 😂

TARHEELKIDD

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator,1993 Jeep Wrangler,1967 Camaro
I would wait until it is warmer. If you do install it, I would highly recommend what someone posted above., keep it inside in the heat until you install it. I always have a blow dryer with me when I wait too long to put my soft top back on my Wranger in the winter. Hit the spot you are working on with the blow dryer for a few minutes on each step. It allows the top to be stretched a little during the install.

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
I would wait until it is warmer. If you do install it, I would highly recommend what someone posted above., keep it inside in the heat until you install it. I always have a blow dryer with me when I wait too long to put my soft top back on my Wranger in the winter. Hit the spot you are working on with the blow dryer for a few minutes on each step. It allows the top to be stretched a little during the install.
The whole softop is in my basement which is finished and heated although cooler than the rest of the house. It's still in the factory cardboard box. I only opened it up to check that everything was there.

Today is a great day to get this done. I think I have to just do it 😎

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The whole softop is in my basement which is finished and heated although cooler than the rest of the house. It's still in the factory cardboard box. I only opened it up to check that everything was there.

Today is a great day to get this done. I think I have to just do it 😎
If you lay it out in the sun and have a scan thermometer it might make a nice writeup. I'd be interested to see how warm it gets.
Sponsored