Sponsored

Is Black done? Considering Satin Aluminum or Bronze on Gator JT

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I am considering changing my Black Rhino wheels in OD (17x9.5") to something else. My JT is Gator. The OD looks good but the wheel style to me looks too heavy. I want something with more open space. Every design under the sun is made in black but I am not sure I want black, although it would match my fenders and hard top color. I am considering Raceline satin beadlocks or some burnt bronze wheels such as KMC Dirty Harrys. I dont want chrome. thoughts? Anyone with a Gator and a satin or bronze wheel?
Sponsored

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
From a design standpoint, the two colors that are used to compliment Tan is Blue and Corral.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tan would be much closer to Gobi than Gator.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, the JT in your pic looks Tan to me
yeah, thats the tricky thing about the Gator color. It can look anything from OD, brown, tan, tope, etc. depending on the light. this is what makes picking a wheel color a challenge. Black would always work since it would match the fenders, hard top, bumpers, etc. but everyone and his brother has black wheels. Anything else is tough. the burnt bronze or dark tint bronze that Fuel has would work but its offered in only a few styles. The satin aluminum would certainly pop and not clash but may look out of place on a jeep void of any other chrome or flash. My local powder coater did my diff colors and nailed the Gator match, i suppose I could buy whatever style I want and have him powder coat them to match the body color. It would probably be the safest choice and be pretty unique. Its just the issue of buying wheels and then adding another $1000 probably in powder coating expense.

Sponsored

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I don’t think Black is done by any means... because it looks good on all colors. I’m going with black rhino Armory wheels on my Hydro Willys because I want a military theme and I hate chrome on anything.. The Willys is what ever color and all badges are black - it’s a super clean look. I chose my Anvil Willys JK for the same reason. Simple.

That being said, I do think Bronze is the new Black. I considered it myself as it’s different - for now. I am also beginning to see a lot of Red and Blue wheels depending on body color. If you’re going to wheel hard with it, stick to black as wheel scrapes are easy to repair, match and cover up when black. If it won’t see most action, go with a nice bronze or contrasting color.

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
yeah, thats the tricky thing about the Gator color. It can look anything from OD, brown, tan, tope, etc. depending on the light. this is what makes picking a wheel color a challenge. Black would always work since it would match the fenders, hard top, bumpers, etc. but everyone and his brother has black wheels. Anything else is tough. the burnt bronze or dark tint bronze that Fuel has would work but its offered in only a few styles. The satin aluminum would certainly pop and not clash but may look out of place on a jeep void of any other chrome or flash. My local powder coater did my diff colors and nailed the Gator match, i suppose I could buy whatever style I want and have him powder coat them to match the body color. It would probably be the safest choice and be pretty unique. Its just the issue of buying wheels and then adding another $1000 probably in powder coating expense.
Looking on the internet for different shots of gator, it almost looked like a green tint in the color. Bronze would look pretty cool with that

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying black wheels for mine when I need new tires. Love my stock black steel wheels and will be getting Black Ion 17x9 wheels when it's time for new tires. Blacks still king to me. That's what will be going on my mustang when I get it in a few weeks as well

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
Keep the wheels and powdercoat a different color. Maybe a non-black color will lighten the look?

Captain Muskie

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Steelworker
I allways thought my stock wheels looked satin silver

Screenshot_20220410-163930_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

GladiatorAdventureBound

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I have black method 701s. With my Gator. I did Icon Titanium colored and I just never really cared for it. I thought about bronze but it’s too close and too different to look right in my opinion. So with the Gator I’ll probably stick with black wheels.

32DD7E65-6D5F-42CD-9454-380D1C96782C.jpeg

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Black>every other color> chrome/aluminum anything.

DukeJeep

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Toyota FJ
I thought the same when I got my new wheels - black seems to be everywhere on every type of vehicle where I live. I went with bronze and love the look, although I have granite crystal paint. I get a ton of compliments on them. i just took a couple of shots for you, but my Jeep has a layers of pollen / dust on it at the moment

D6EA2A20-86C2-4A42-91E1-B821CE2D7280.jpeg

43844049-6087-4973-9E71-559425B90A9F.jpeg

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I felt the same way about black wheels . Everyone and their mom has them, and apart from the wheel design (which disappears at a distance anyways), it looks like every other Jeep with black wheels. That is why I went the bronze path with a more “traditional” wheel design.

296E6262-A5F5-4DEA-A57B-BFE8F330278B.jpeg

A05B5680-6F64-43AC-8B88-B2D15D897095.jpeg
Sponsored