Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This should have a link or 3 to reference the other long thread from over a year ago where many here who actually off-road a fair amount were saying lockers weren't needed and they've gotten by for years without and so on.
But no one so far has searched that.
I'm not in that "lockers - necessary or not" thing because for me anything I do is great with LSD, but it was a fair amount of "back and forth" (putting it lightly at times) as to how "necessary" lockers are. I was actually amazed by the numbers who said "no".

So in this one, although it started out about LSD, now it's a back and forth on lockers being needed or not, so maybe time to find and bring that long old thread back to life.

(I was wrong - PS, not PM)

Jeep Gladiator Is LSD worth it? 1710686278504-08
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
This should have a link or 3 to reference the other long thread from over a year ago where many here who actually off-road a fair amount were saying lockers weren't needed and they've gotten by for years without and so on.
But no one so far has searched that.
I'm not in that "lockers - necessary or not" thing because for me anything I do is great with LSD, but it was a fair amount of "back and forth" (putting it lightly at times) as to how "necessary" lockers are. I was actually amazed by the numbers who said "no".

So in this one, although it started out about LSD, now it's a back and forth on lockers being needed or not, so maybe time to find and bring that long old thread back to life.

(I was wrong - PS, not PM)

Jeep Gladiator Is LSD worth it? 1710686278504-08
You can wheel a FWD car if you really want to. I’ve seen them on the dunes many times. If it won’t make a hill, just back up and get a bigger head start.

A locker or lockers make wheeling so much more fun. The difference between a locked or open rear is like the difference between 2wd and 4wd.

Have you ever owned a rig with a locker or 2?

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Remember, the comparison isn't locker vs limited slip, it's actually locker vs limited slip with automatic computer-controlled brake lock action.

Bigb55

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Deputy
Remember, the comparison isn't locker vs limited slip, it's actually locker vs limited slip with automatic computer-controlled brake lock action.
This. The brake actuated limited slip has come a long way. For on road traction it works quite well. For light off road it also works quite well.

With the brake actuated limited slip. A true LSD might be better off-road but doing the same thing on road.

With that in mind I think a electronic/air actuated locker is best for the newer jeeps.

Also I've been wheeling for 20 years, a LSD has worked as well as a full locker on 95% of off-road situations.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
This. The brake actuated limited slip has come a long way. For on road traction it works quite well. For light off road it also works quite well.

With the brake actuated limited slip. A true LSD might be better off-road but doing the same thing on road.

With that in mind I think a electronic/air actuated locker is best for the newer jeeps.

Also I've been wheeling for 20 years, a LSD has worked as well as a full locker on 95% of off-road situations.
You all act like a JL with a locker doesn't have bld. In reality we all have limited slips from the factory. Some have even more limited slip in the rear. Some have actual lockers front and rear and still have bld when the lockers are off. Only someone who's never wheeled a modern JL with lockers would even try and argue that the limited slip is better in any off road situation. The op is upgrading to air lockers when regearing. Front and rear arbs are going to be better than keeping the factory limited slip in the rear period and he'll still have bld limited slips.

Sponsored

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
It is more likely you benefit from the Jeep’s electronic Brake Lock Differential system than you do the LSD. The system senses slippage and engages the brakes on the spinning tire so the torque will go through the differential to the wheel on the opposite side of the axle. The system works really well.

To your question, if you are already set up with OBA and you are doing gears adding air lockers is a sound move. Adding e-lockers makes sense as well. Lockers just work, and work well.

tastetickles

First Name
Yik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JT
Occupation
IT guy
Every time I drive out of the junction to the main road, I’m reminded by the one wheel peel I should have gotten the LSD.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Power Wagons come with a gear driven LSD, plus electric locker in the rear. Best of both worlds. Wish Jeep would use that set up. The LSD in the PW is a stout unit. Tell you this. 4 wheeling, I start out unlocked until needed. There are times when the LSD won't cut it and lockers are the only way.

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Well for what it's worth and all the great advice/conversations my comment sparked. I finally got them installed.

I realize this thread is bigger than my original post, but I thought I would share :)

I also had 5.13 gears installed and just because no one wants to spend that sort of money and not have anything visual to show for it, I also got the Diff covers to match.

I think at its root, my desire to get the lockers was a combination of curiosity and maybe a little Rubicon envy?

I had Elevation Jeeps in Houston do it and I'm very pleased with the install. very clean. we discussed beforehand and I suggested the mounting bracket that I wasn't using for the Compressor to mount the manifold. They loved the idea and went with it. the result is something easy to maintain and service if the need comes up. plus, it's up and out of the way.

Jeep Gladiator Is LSD worth it? 20240417_161844
Jeep Gladiator Is LSD worth it? 20240417_162804
Jeep Gladiator Is LSD worth it? 20240417_162807

20240417_162804.jpg
Sponsored