Sponsored

Is posting license plates on the forums a bad idea?

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
With their tag number, I can find out every other piece of important information about their life, before I even start looking at Facebook.

I can see:

SSNs
Addresses, possibly going back decades.
Phone numbers, also possibly going back decades.
Email addresses.
IP addresses
Bankruptcies.
Lawsuits.
Criminal records.
Relatives, including distant, most often.
Utilities, utility bills.

....and more, so yes, hide your license plates online, always.
But you have restricted access the general public doesn't have. I can find all those things too, but again have access beyond what the public has.

The tag on your vehicle is displayed 24/7 on the road. Blurring or covering it on the internet is stupid.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hear that. I’m not worried about most of that stuff, I was just slightly alarmed at what the DMV guy told me. I had never heard that some rando could ‘pull a registration’ armed with nothing else but the license plate number. It sounded kinda nuts to me.
That DMV person is like many in government - show up to do some duties, collect pay, don't bother learning. If I were in your state I'd go in and challenge them on it. Bet it can't really be done.
Besides, you need to define "pull a registration" - that could be read to say at least two different things, IMO.
I'm more concerned about DRONES these days.......

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read all of this thread but.....
"Running" someone's vehicle tag with out lawful reasons through NCIC or what ever "State" equivalent can get you a new address in club Fed for up to 10 years. Anything done with internet leaves a easy tracking for anyone's information. FYI don't think that "Your" Facebook is not a open book even if you have it set to private. Any of us on this forum can be tracked down to where your online at. So overall your vehicle tag is small potatoes. I'm sure a few more on this forum are able to verify this.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
With their tag number, I can find out every other piece of important information about their life, before I even start looking at Facebook.

I can see:

SSNs
Email addresses.
IP addresses
Bankruptcies.
Lawsuits.
Criminal records.

I know this is an old response, but how do you get someone's SSN from their plate number? All of the other stuff I can see being able to connect through their plate number and some digging. I'm not trying to do anything shady, but curious.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Meh, it's just a job, man.
The fact that Matt is on this site without a Gladiator should make at least one of you guys very nervous!

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old response, but how do you get someone's SSN from their plate number? All of the other stuff I can see being able to connect through their plate number and some digging. I'm not trying to do anything shady, but curious.
He probably has access to databases we don't due to his job. I could see him having the ability to match a plate number to a registration. That registration gives him a name and address which in turn gives him access to SSNs via another database. It's just connecting the dots from one bit of info to the next.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

I can see:

SSNs
Email addresses.
IP addresses
Bankruptcies.
Lawsuits.
Criminal records.

Basically, your "advice" is bullshit about "hiding your license plates online." I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that there's risk involved in showing your license plate online.

Obviously you're not the only guy in town who has access to tons of information/databases and you're not the only one "snooping" on people.

If anyone wants to "hide" it's very difficult and getting more difficult by the minute. If you have something to hide then hiding your license plate is the least of your worries.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
First time through this thread. In the 90s it was clear that your entire life is public. In the aughts we gave up freedoms again, in the teens your face is your ID and they can find you anywhere, anytime, given the resources, right down to your DNA. The issue is AI doing this automatically, so some 200 year old douchy McRichFace can pay squirmy McNoMorals to target your liver as an exact match.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So on the good side. We are going to have a world wide baby boom in 10 months. Just facts man. Carry on!
Sponsored