Is posting license plates on the forums a bad idea?

1. Jellygladiator

Jellygladiator Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    gladiator
    Liked:
    retired
    Well I’m glad you posted your face so we all know who you are and what you do

2. ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Overland; 2018 Grand Cherokee; 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition; 1970 Javelin(sold); 1973 Javelin; 1982 Eagle SX4
    Liked:
    Retired auto tech, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
    Garage Profiles:
    I'll have my friend, a former DCI head, run it for me LOL

3. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    It may vary from state to state, but in Kentucky the answer is no. I work at the Transportation Cabinet and I'm also friends with the Clerk in the county I live in, and I can tell you that personal information on drivers is locked down. You can't get anything with a simple plate number. It's illegal for them to grant a random person any personal information that's linked to a license plate.

There may be other special (and illegal) means by which an evil person could find your personal information from your plate #, but they'd have to work at it and if they're willing to work at it that hard then nothing will stop them anyhow.

4. ShadowsPapa

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Overland; 2018 Grand Cherokee; 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition; 1970 Javelin(sold); 1973 Javelin; 1982 Eagle SX4
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    My wife used to be able to look up the birth date of almost anyone when she was a state employee - they even locked that down several years ago. Unless you have reason.......
    And central IT used to be able to ask you some iffy questions to get your mainframe password and enough of us screamed about them asking SSNs that that was stopped. Man that almost took an act of congress though "but we need that, how else will we know" yeah, and I can see that info being written down or sent via email - which it WAS for a while. I raised holy-he!! with 'em over that.

5. Rdaharsh1

Rdaharsh1 Active Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
    Liked:
    Yeah, I wouldn't have him do that if he likes being free and collecting his retirement.

6. ShadowsPapa

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Joking around - he's a straight-up guy and wouldn't anyway. We joke about such thing and even razz him and one of the others who is an active IHP trooper. But no one would ever get serious about such things.

7. Rdaharsh1

Rdaharsh1 Active Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
    Liked:
    Cool, cool

8. Breaktrack

Breaktrack Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Milton
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    Retired
    Just not concerned about it. You can see my plate in many of my photos from my trip.

I just don’t care.

9. ShadowsPapa

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I can sit at Walmart with my phone in panoramic mode and gather dozens of plates all at the same time and right away, assume most are local, so much of the work is done..........
    If I really wanted to disappear - I'd try to contact my youngest son but then, LOL - no one can. He's the poster boy for getting lost and baffling governments and experts at finding people. But then after a conversation with some men in black - good grief, are they inept or something?

10. Tlhicks

Tlhicks Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch edition
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    My point exactly! Its a public facing items in plain sight every single day.

11. TennesseePA

TennesseePA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
    Liked:
    Physician Assistant
    I’m in the boat that living near and working in a city of over 1M people. Thousands of people see my tag every single day. If you go to the county and try to change registration you have to have an actual copy of the registration AND a photo ID. Anyone with a computer can drive down my street and plug my address into the county database and see my name and my wife’s name and how much we paid for the house and what our taxes are. I always got a kick out of people posting pictures of their truck for sale on Craigslist with their finger strategically covering the license plate, even though they had the vehicle parked outside in an apartment complex parking lot with hundreds of other residents.

furrymurray likes this.
  12. ShadowsPapa

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Property records are public record, as it the registration information of your vehicle. How else do we get all of these junk mailers that say "the warranty of your xxxx Chevy is about to expire". Hmm? How'd they know that. Because it's public record and so much of this is in the local PAPERS.

All I needed was a first and last name - If you were on the site where I got this you could click on the blue link and find the case results, any fines, pleas, you name it.

public-record.png

13. Bobzdar

Bobzdar Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
    Liked:
    All of your info is already out there, pretty much guaranteed. Plate doesn't really matter unless you don't want anyone to be able to tie your forum persona to your real one.

Even without your plate, I know you're Victor from Henderson, NV and drive a red 2020 Gladiator, just with what you've shared in your profile. I'm sure with some reading through your post history I could find out which dealer you bought your Jeep from (Chapman Jeep if it's local?) and call them and use some social engineering to get your info, maybe troll social media for an hour or two and find out who you are without bothering to look for your plate number. I'm not even sure that'd make it easier.

So in short, don't sweat it. Nobody is going to target you just because you posted your plate number. If they use it, they've already targeted you for something and it could just be a minor shortcut - and likely not even that as if they're targeting you online, they probably already know who you are.

Talon_Wolfe likes this.
  14. ShadowsPapa

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
  15. OP
    OP
    Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Active Member

First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Firecracker Red
    Liked:
    I hear that. I’m not worried about most of that stuff, I was just slightly alarmed at what the DMV guy told me. I had never heard that some rando could ‘pull a registration’ armed with nothing else but the license plate number. It sounded kinda nuts to me.