Sponsored

Is posting license plates on the forums a bad idea?

Talon_Wolfe

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Firecracker Red
I was talking to a DMV employee today who told me that its not a good idea since anyone can come in and armed with a plate number, ‘pull a registration’- which means that person would be then driving an unregistered vehicle. I have never heard of such a thing, and wondered if he were mistaken. I see license plates on these boards from time to time, but sometimes I see the plates blurred out too.

So... what do you guys think?
Sponsored

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Only reason i can think is if you are posting a picture or video of your vehicle doing something illegal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Firecracker Red
So armed with someone’s plates, it is true you can wreak havoc on someone’s life? At least when it comes to their vehicle registration?

formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
So armed with someone’s plates, it is true you can wreak havoc on someone’s life? At least when it comes to their vehicle registration?
With their tag number, I can find out every other piece of important information about their life, before I even start looking at Facebook.

I can see:

SSNs
Addresses, possibly going back decades.
Phone numbers, also possibly going back decades.
Email addresses.
IP addresses
Bankruptcies.
Lawsuits.
Criminal records.
Relatives, including distant, most often.
Utilities, utility bills.

....and more, so yes, hide your license plates online, always.

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
With their tag number, I can find out every other piece of important information about their life, before I even start looking at Facebook.

I can see:

SSNs
Addresses, possibly going back decades.
Phone numbers, also possibly going back decades.
Email addresses.
IP addresses
Bankruptcies.
Lawsuits.
Criminal records.
Relatives, including distant, most often.
Utilities, utility bills.

....and more, so yes, hide your license plates online, always.
Wow! Heck you can get all that! If you told me your ssn i would not even know where to start in using that. And you tracking down distant relatives with a tag number! Im taking the tags off my jeep and putting a paper that says lost tag. Lol

formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Wow! Heck you can get all that! If you told me your ssn i would not even know where to start in using that. And you tracking down distant relatives with a tag number! Im taking the tags off my jeep and putting a paper that says lost tag. Lol
LOL, yeah, it's generally bad for my work to tell people things like this, but this is a community, so I turn my job off here and places like it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was talking to a DMV employee today who told me that its not a good idea since anyone can come in and armed with a plate number, ‘pull a registration’- which means that person would be then driving an unregistered vehicle. I have never heard of such a thing, and wondered if he were mistaken. I see license plates on these boards from time to time, but sometimes I see the plates blurred out too.

So... what do you guys think?
No, they can't.
If they could they could go through Walmart parking lot and take thousands of photos and do the same.
And only law enforcement can look up information - it's illegal for anyone outside of enforcement. My wife and I worked for the state and worked side by side with people in public safety - a friend of hers is married to a trooper - you can't just walk in and - what the heck is "pull a registration" anyway?
Here you must have the physical plates in your possession or you can't do squat. And you have to have title and registration to do anything big.
So far those I've challenged have not been able to do much beyond what's already public record (phone book type stuff) when I have them try to get info based on a plate number. SSNs aren't even used on driver licenses any more, so aren't connected to a vehicle.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
No, they can't.
If they could they could go through Walmart parking lot and take thousands of photos and do the same.
And only law enforcement can look up information - it's illegal for anyone outside of enforcement. My wife and I worked for the state and worked side by side with people in public safety - a friend of hers is married to a trooper - you can't just walk in and - what the heck is "pull a registration" anyway?
Here you must have the physical plates in your possession or you can't do squat. And you have to have title and registration to do anything big.
So far those I've challenged have not been able to do much beyond what's already public record (phone book type stuff) when I have them try to get info based on a plate number. SSNs aren't even used on driver licenses any more, so aren't connected to a vehicle.
It may differ state-by-state. In KY you most certainly can get SOME information from a license plate. Heck, you can even get a 3 year driving history on anyone licensed to drive in KY.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It may differ state-by-state. In KY you most certainly can get SOME information from a license plate. Heck, you can even get a 3 year driving history on anyone licensed to drive in KY.
Some information - likely stuff that's already public record - for example, I got all of the court information related to the guy who killed my father when he fell asleep and crossed the highway - all I needed was his NAME. No license plate needed. Public record - his arrests, tickets, the fines he paid and more. All just by plugging in his name. I knew he was arrested for violating curfew, had a ticket for driving 85 in a 55, lost his license, was arrested for driving while suspended......
That's because it's PUBLIC RECORD, not because of any numbers or pics on a forum.
If I knew your name I could get your address and likely find court records that are public record. Not that I want to, but it proves nothing at all. Either way.
Sponsored