cavalosjr

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Hey there,

I am looking at potentially purchasing a gladiator overland, but reading some scary stuff reading the forms. Now understanding when you look in a repair forum for known issues you only see the bad not the good.

Are there folks how there with higher mileage who are not having crazy issues with cylinder misfires, ESS ssues or anything else major?
Our Gladiator has only 2400 miles on it. Brought it to the dealership this morning to get a key fob programmed and found out that the computer has logged misfire codes. We havenā€™t noticed it misfiring though. Apparently this is a common problem with the 3.6L Pentastar engine. Not sure whatā€™s causing it and what the long term issues might be if they persist.
Sponsored

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Avoid Gladiators with build dates from 10/19 to 3/20 and you should be OK. There was a batch of engines that were bored by a defective tool during that time.
Where can you find the build date? I just bought mine off the lot last week

freedomgirl

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Occupation
self employed
I have over a year and over 16k miles with zero problems other than some occasional hick ups with the electronics not connecting right or getting hung up. Nothing a reboot hasn't fixed, either unplug the phone or turning the radio off and on.
5k miles no major problems, just the same as above with the electronics and the clock resetting a couple of times...had issue from beginning just haven't taken it in to fix, it is annoying as heck especially for a music lover - but LOVE MY GLADIATOR!!!

Jtny213

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain Edition 2 DR
Manual Transmission JT Rubicon with 13K miles and no issues. Lots of wheeling - dirt, mud, snow, rocks, sand. I have used the lockers and sway bar disconnect many times. I did 4 oil changes or so, and one front and back gear oil change when I went with the Metalcloak diff covers. So, far, I have done everything myself. I have never been back to the dealer since purchase. There is a recall on my clutch, but, it feels great and I have not gone back to the dealer for it.
Same here. I havenā€™t had any issues with the manual. I called to see if the part was in and they said no. Never called back. That was 3 months ago

Sponsored

NJbevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜98 Durango 5.9 SLT; ā€˜06 Hemi Durango; ā€˜20 Gladiator Sport Max Tow - Smittybuilt 9600 XRC
Sorry, but I have to laugh - as when you visit a hospital, or what forums are, gripe areas, you are going to see SICK people, or in the case of forums, broken stuff.
People with great luck don't go on the web and brag hey, my truck has no problem!
You are seeing not only a very small segment of JT owners because many will never join this or another forum, but out of the members of this forum, you are seeing a small number of members with issues!
So a small percentage out of a small percentage equals a very small percentage.
If people based buying something on forums, little would be sold.
You can get ideas about TRENDS, what to look for, etc. - but that's about it.
Yes, read and get an idea - how many, how severe, but consider those out of the totals.

I ordered my JT Overland October 17, 2019. I picked it up November 15, 2019.
I have over 8500 miles on it. I've had one issue to bother mentioning - the bed cover was loose. I got it replaced under warranty.
No ESS issues, no lights, no miss, no steering issues, the display and uconnect works, the heat and AC work great with zero issues, no leaks, no squeaks or squawks. It just plain works.
Notice that there are very few people on this reply that have not had some issue. Maybe they are still happy and consider it minor (it's a Jeep thing). You ask for people without problems and yet you still find problems. Doesn't that seem odd for $40-50k truck?
I love the Gladiator but I am coming to understand that Jeep's quality assurance is very poor. This is my first Jeep; not sure it wont be my last.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Avoid Gladiators with build dates from 10/19 to 3/20 and you should be OK. There was a batch of engines that were bored by a defective tool during that time.
There are many thousands of them on the road with those dates, no issues.
The other thread on the engines is actually trying to nail down build dates - NOT MONTHS as that is so wide open - October what, 2019? March what, 2020?
Mine was made the first week or so of November, 2019, and is fine. There's another in the area made in a similar time period - it's fine.
Basically, we don't know numbers, and we can't say "all" in that time period or FCA would surely have a full blown program to deal with it.
9300 miles, owned since mid-November, 2019, built 11/05/2019 according to the sticker as I recall.
And I have pushed it hard. It's not a babied truck.

As I do engine boring myself - I'd like to know what about the boring tool was defective - and what the defect is or was in the boring it did.
You bore to close to size, the it's honed to exact size - and the finish it typically inspected.
Something about this doesn't fully fit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Disregard...door sticker :) Mine was 7/20
Look at that sticker for MDH - Month DATE Hour
July isn't a short month so nailing down the DATE helps

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+
25k miles, no real issues

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
25k miles, no real issues
Wow, and I thought I was putting miles on. I guess I would have if three big trips hadn't gotten canceled. Good to know I COULD have put on the miles LOL

Sponsored

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
2100 miles...no issues. The only problem is all the pretty girls I have to give rides to..:)

Broke Owner

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Chocolate Brownie Quality Inspector
3k miles and no issues.
35s, 1.5 level kit and tazer installed within the first 1k miles.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there,

I am looking at potentially purchasing a gladiator overland, but reading some scary stuff reading the forms. Now understanding when you look in a repair forum for known issues you only see the bad not the good.

Are there folks how there with higher mileage who are not having crazy issues with cylinder misfires, ESS ssues or anything else major?
Almost 13,000 miles and no issues of any kind.

JimsGlad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
CSM, US Army, Retired
4,000 miles no issues with the JTO
Sponsored