First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 escape
Occupation
Seamsrress
I am getting ready to buy a small travel trailer and after the tests the guys did in colorado, I'm concerned about gas mileage and towing capabilities. Any suggestions or thoughts??
Sponsored

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
I am getting ready to buy a small travel trailer and after the tests the guys did in colorado, I'm concerned about gas mileage and towing capabilities. Any suggestions or thoughts??
Really depends on the size and shape. I have a 18 foot Rpod camper that is tear drop shaped and weights less than 4,000 pounds. The JT seems to pull it great in the short test drive i did with it. I towed it with a 2016 Grand Cherokee with the same 3.6 and stock tires and it did fine but the gas mileage went from 25-28 MPG on the highway to 11 MPG. No matter how slow I seemed to drive it was always terrible. Just part of towing a heavy camper that isn't very aerodynamic. You'll need to get a trailer brake set up too.

We are headed to the Outerbanks from Kentucky on Friday and I'll give you an update on how the trip went. I suspect it will do much better than the Grand Cherokee did.

OP
OP

lpgraves3

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 escape
Occupation
Seamsrress
Great thanks. I am looking at a small gulfstream trailer about 3400 lbs, but will be doing a lot of mountain driving. So there in lies my concern

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
We have a large popup - around 3,750lbs loaded up with gear and tow with the Gladiator. I'm running 33 inch tires, no lift and averaging around 16-17 mpg each trip we take. I'm in central Pennsylvania so we have various landscapes hills, small mountains etc. but the Gladiator towed the camper very well, there's no lack of power. Regardless of what you tow or tow with, you'll never get good gas mileage. I'd be more concerned with how the vehicle handles while towing.

With that said we are looking into getting a larger camper in the near future and have it pinned between two models, each of which are around 4,500-4,700 lbs and with my towing experience so far I feel that's very do-able for the Gladiator.

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
Great thanks. I am looking at a small gulfstream trailer about 3400 lbs, but will be doing a lot of mountain driving. So there in lies my concern
It will probably pull it just fine. Don't expect very good gas mileage though. I doubt any truck will give you very good gas mileage pulling a trailer though.

OP
OP

lpgraves3

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 escape
Occupation
Seamsrress
We have a large popup - around 3,750lbs loaded up with gear and tow with the Gladiator. I'm running 33 inch tires, no lift and averaging around 16-17 mpg each trip we take. I'm in central Pennsylvania so we have various landscapes hills, small mountains etc. but the Gladiator towed the camper very well, there's no lack of power. Regardless of what you tow or tow with, you'll never get good gas mileage. I'd be more concerned with how the vehicle handles while towing.

With that said we are looking into getting a larger camper in the near future and have it pinned between two models, each of which are around 4,500-4,700 lbs and with my towing experience so far I feel that's very do-able for the Gladiator.
Thanks troy that input is very helpful. I like the gladiator and don't want a truck I'll need to climb up in!
Sponsored