First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm experiencing some serious choice paralysis here. (also mild red/green color blindness makes it more difficult. Big blocks of color are easily distinguishable to me, but little block, like the kind on a katzkin brochure get a little indeterminate for me sometimes). As different amounts of color look different to me, it's entirely possible it looks good on a swatch and terrible in the car to me.

So i called armorlite and asked for a sample of the desert khaki flooring because the pictures online look very dark and the install videos i've seen online look very light. Then i called Katzkin and asked the nice lady on the phone to have a look at armorlite's website and pick out her 6 favorite complimenting colors to go with the armorlite i wanted. Then i showed my wife the armorlite with the 6 katzkin swatches, and here's what she picked:

Took pictures both indoors and outdoors with black background since they're still be plenty of black in the truck. For reference my truck will be a gobi mojave with black roof and flares, so it's definitely a black and tan themed truck. Give me your opinion, do you think this will look nice?

Jeep Gladiator Katzkin interior with desert khaki armorlite 20220505_154253

Jeep Gladiator Katzkin interior with desert khaki armorlite 20220505_154416
Sponsored

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Sometimes an exact match is not possible. If they are very close but not matching, they can clash. A little difference between the seats and the floor may be a good thing. Look at camo patterns. Many have 2 tones of tan, green, black, and white. I usually try to avoid browns and grays, but I really like solid tan seats in a gray truck, so it does work sometimes. Consider a contrasting colored stitching to make the leather pop. I did mine in black and gray with blue stitching on a Sting Gray Gladiator, but we are all different and do what you like. I found it impossible to match my seats to sting gray because the paint color changes so drastically with light, so I went with a lighter gray to keep the seats from being so hot in the Texas Sun. Just to show you my tastes and where I'm coming from, this is my interior.
Jeep Gladiator Katzkin interior with desert khaki armorlite 20220403_172445

If you are married or have friends who have good taste and know you well, they can help you. Don't let us strangers on the internet lead you astray. Friends who are artistic or paint for a living can be a good resource. They've usually made and learned from their mistakes.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Sometimes an exact match is not possible. If they are very close but not matching, they can clash. [...]Consider a contrasting colored stitching to make the leather pop.

If you are married or have friends [...] who are artistic [...]
My wife is artistic. She's a very good designer and she paints casually but not professionally. Whenever I ask her she's always non-committal. I think she's worried about leading my astray on a $2500-$3000 decision. Also even after 6 years together she still doesn't fully understand colorblindness. Granted it's not easy to explain to people that most things look how they are supposed to but only certain things fuck with me. Based on some of the questions she's asked me trying to help me pick a color I think she's worried she'll pick a combo that looks great to her but i'll hate it because it looks different to me. I'm red/green and only mildly so, so tans and greys look normal to me. An example i tried to give her was on the Katzkin brochure, the little square of color for Mahogany looks like a true brown, but when I got the palm sized swatch in person it was very clear there was a lot of red undertones that I couldn't see on the smaller patch. The other 5 colors katzkin sent me look the same in person as they do on the screen, but mahogany (a redish brown) just doesn't.

As for contrast stiching, i'm putting this in a mojave and I want them to stitch Mojave on the new seats just like it looks on the OEM seats, so I've been toying with orange contrast stitching and some black/desert two-tones
Jeep Gladiator Katzkin interior with desert khaki armorlite black desert orange

I think you're right about trying to color match too hard and failing as a real risk i'm taking though. The other color my wife was waffling on was driftwood which comes out like this
Jeep Gladiator Katzkin interior with desert khaki armorlite driftwood black orange

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I like the Driftwood, but with the black headrest. I think the black contrasts better with the orange stitching. Either way, it looks good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Here's the final mockup from Katzkin as I requested it. All this window shopping is making the wait for my Gobi Mojave harder and harder. I just wanna start buying stuff (besides the $80 special kendas and steel rims sitting in my basement)

Jeep Gladiator Katzkin interior with desert khaki armorlite 2018JeepWrangler1 (4)

Sinner05

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco ā€˜22 Gladiator
Thatā€™s sexy. Canā€™t wait to see installed

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Thatā€™s sexy. Canā€™t wait to see installed
Gonna have to wait a little longer I'm afraid.. I promised my wife I wouldn't make any more big purchases after the armorlite until I get my June bonus (which is typically very late June/very early July).
Sponsored