language

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Not trying to offend any one, just a general assessment. The wife and I go out for a meal. The waiter or waitress come up and says "Hi Guys". Hold it right there, I am a Guy and she is a Gal. Masculine and Feminine. It may seem minor to most but the misuse of these terms is getting to be beyond irksome. It seems most humans simply run their mouths without thinking. Just rote phrases that make an English teacher cringe. So how do the women on this site feel about being lumped in with the "Guys" when a post begins with "... guys..."? I know, it may be a social media thing but did not any one learn how to speak properly? Rant over.
Sponsored

Atomicat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ and 20 JT
It is sort of a shame...that of all the the things wrong in the world, you chose that to make you butt-hurt. How would you have greeted a couple of mixed gender? Hello, two people of non- specific gender, how was your 24 hour period leading up to this specific time at this location?
Seriously, just relax. The comment wasn't made to yank anyone's chain. Everyone is just prowling for something to get mad about. Let's all take a deep breathe and chill. Just my 2 cents.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
How do you feel about terms like "airman" being used to refer to female members of the Air Force?

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
In singular form guy is slang for a male. In the plural form it can be used for a group of people, not just males. It's interesting how vocabulary can differ from place to place and evolve from one meaning to another over time.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Iā€™m glad we donā€™t speak in exactness. The server did not say ā€œhello humansā€. I would understand your confusion or issue if it was the very first time youā€™ve ever heard that slang used, especially being well educated in the continually ā€œdumbed downā€ language or word erasing culture.

Can you imagine a worldā€¦letā€™s pigeon hole this a little tighter, ā€¦imagine the line up at the grocery store checkout. Youā€™re in a line up of 4 people with their carts full. We all have schedules, people to see, places to go. We donā€™have the time to hang out forever but when each person gets to the checkout, the employee at the till says,.. ā€œhi, how are you, and in correctness and language accuracy each person spills out whatā€™s going on emotionally for them as a pose to just saying ā€œIā€™m fineā€ or ā€œgreatā€.

However, youā€™re educated and also triggered by this phrase. I think itā€™s deeper for you than just the literal meaning of word use of ā€œguysā€ for a mixed gender gathering. You feel it, therefore it maters but itā€™s deeper than just the surface use of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
When adressing a group I use the term "Folks". I really do not give a RA about the modern pronoun crap but some basic rules of engagement seem to have been dicarded. It also seems only guys/males have responded. BTW, it was the wife who first had the twisted knickers.

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
Aside from the fact that it's common in multiple languages, it's been in common use in America for 70+ years, and that's just the easily provable timeframe. Find any TV show from the 50's and here them use "guys" to describe any mixed group of people.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
This use is commonplace and typically infers a more casual and friendly conversation. Donā€™t go looking for disrespect or think someone elseā€™sā€™ word choice should be in lock-step with yours. From your description, my take is the ā€œserverā€ was just trying to be nice and here you are digging for a reason to whine.

Check yourself and remember you asked for input.Iā€™m not intending to offend you, but i find your reaction here to be incomprehensible.

Last edited:

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I personally use 'folks', like "Hey folks"
But really?
This is your worst problem in life?
I FUCKING GIVE UP, get therapy dammit...
What in the flying fuck are we coming down to?

SHIT!!!

OK, my rant over...

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
You mentioned ā€œwaiter or waitressā€. Weā€™re you unable to determine gender, or did you feel gender was irrelevant in the context of this post when creating it?

This nonsense cuts both ways. Donā€™t get wrapped up around the axle on it.

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Not trying to offend any one, just a general assessment. The wife and I go out for a meal. The waiter or waitress come up and says "Hi Guys". Hold it right there, I am a Guy and she is a Gal. Masculine and Feminine. It may seem minor to most but the misuse of these terms is getting to be beyond irksome. It seems most humans simply run their mouths without thinking. Just rote phrases that make an English teacher cringe. So how do the women on this site feel about being lumped in with the "Guys" when a post begins with "... guys..."? I know, it may be a social media thing but did not any one learn how to speak properly? Rant over.
So true! It also infuriates me when people say, "What's up?"! Like, should we look up towards the ceiling when people say that and describe anything above us? Also frustrating is the callous use of the term "boys"! It is a word for males under the age of 18. Don Henley's song, "The Boys of Summer" should properly be called, "The Adult Males of the Summer" to be more precise. And the old TV sitcom should be called, "The Golden Senior Female Humans". What about American football? It should be properly called, 'Oblong Arm Ball' because of how the ball is actually advanced. I am glad someone is focusing on this critical issue instead of Gladiator topics, the economy, social welfare, human liberty or other such trivial distractions!

Last edited:

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
At least you got a friendly greeting.

Jeep Gladiator language 432F2225-62FA-4E8B-BAB1-4F38E446A463

People in customer service positions that don't know how to address people politely.

Like walking into a store and instead of "can/may I help you?" I get "what do you want?"

Or being addressed as boss, slick, dude, chief or one of any other party friend monikers.

Another mildly irritating one that is so overused is "have a good one" Have a good what? Crap? Seizure? You made it to "good" with minimal effort. Day or evening isn't that much more of an effort than "one". šŸ˜†šŸ¤£šŸ˜†šŸ¤£

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
At least you got a friendly greeting.

Jeep Gladiator language 432F2225-62FA-4E8B-BAB1-4F38E446A463

People in customer service positions that don't know how to address people politely.

Like walking into a store and instead of "can/may I help you?" I get "what do you want?"

Or being addressed as boss, slick, dude, chief or one of any other party friend monikers.

Another mildly irritating one that is so overused is "have a good one" Have a good what? Crap? Seizure? You made it to "good" with minimal effort. Day or evening isn't that much more of an effort than "one". šŸ˜†šŸ¤£šŸ˜†šŸ¤£
Welcome to the 21st century.

Some of us live in a world without borders.

I routinely have meetings with people in locations around the world. When you start a meeting with people in the meeting from the east coast, the west coast, London, India, and the Manilla. It is rude to say good morning when it is often late at night. At the end of the meeting we often say have a good one because what it is will be different for each team member in the meeting.

What you are considering polite, in my world is rude. What you are considering rude, in my world is polite. You seem very dated in your use of language!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When adressing a group I use the term "Folks". I really do not give a RA about the modern pronoun crap but some basic rules of engagement seem to have been dicarded. It also seems only guys/males have responded. BTW, it was the wife who first had the twisted knickers.
LOL - it's my wife that uses the term, and if asked "how are you guys doing" she's the first to answer "just fine" or similar.
Around here everyone, man, woman, other, all respond and accept that "guys" has been used since I was a kid, maybe longer than that, to refer to a group in a friendly familiar way.
"Hi guys" has been used longer than I can remember, and no one has ever said a word about it. Women use it as often as men, at least around Iowa and other places I've visited.
Example - tour guide recently asked us "would you guys like to visit............." and there were 3 women (including my wife) in the group, he was Israeli and spoke 5 languages. No one blinked an eye, and each of the women in the group used that sort of phrase more than once.

Sort of joking, sort of not, but it seems to me to be as common as "Y'all" is in some places.
Sponsored