LED light issues.

rubi2022sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator rubicon 1966 Jeep commando
Occupation
Lawyer
I have a 2022 rubicon which has LED tail lights. I am in the process of replacing and upgrading the front lights to LED. Do I need to get the system flashed or get a tazer. current the driver side turn signal works the passenger side does not and the fog lights work intermittently. I thought once you had leds you did not need to get it reprogramed. I should be getting my OEM led headlights on Monday.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Get Jscan or AlfaOBD and a OBD dongle and security bypass cable. Update the computer for the lights you changed so it knows they are LED. A Tazer will also do the job, but it is expensive if you don't need any of the 'Live' features.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2022 rubicon which has LED tail lights. I am in the process of replacing and upgrading the front lights to LED. Do I need to get the system flashed or get a tazer. current the driver side turn signal works the passenger side does not and the fog lights work intermittently. I thought once you had leds you did not need to get it reprogramed. I should be getting my OEM led headlights on Monday.
You can change the settings using Tazer, JSCAN or AlfaOBD.
The software is cheaper, more flexible unless you really want or need the "live" features.

rj74

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon
Occupation
Body Shop Manager
Yes it needs to be programmed. and do not use the fog lights until you have it corrected. there have been several guys that did not have it flashed/programmed and fried their new led fog lights because of it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
and do not use the fog lights until you have it corrected. there have been several guys that did not have it flashed/programmed and fried their new led fog lights because of it.
And that has always baffled me because there's nothing really differently set that could "fry" them.
If they can't handle 14 volts, they don't belong on any vehicle car or truck Jeep or Ford.

I test lights by wiring them directly to a fully charged battery in my shop ~12.6 volts.
When the truck starts, you have voltages higher than that in the system at various points.
But - the lights are voltage regulated. On the LED fogs, it's regulated at 13.6 volts.
I'd be very surprised if the non-LED fog lights were regulated any higher.

So - is that really what fried them?
It's implying that their fog lights could not handle normal vehicle voltages.

Sponsored

mert34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
PWM can cause LED to run hotter. But i have not seen a set burn out from it unless the quality was lacking to start with.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
But - the lights are voltage regulated. On the LED fogs, it's regulated at 13.6 volts.
I'd be very surprised if the non-LED fog lights were regulated any higher.

So - is that really what fried them?
It's implying that their fog lights could not handle normal vehicle voltages.
When I had replaced my halogen fog lights with Mopar LED fog lights in the 3 piece bumper, one fog light wasn't working until I switched the settings to LED.

OP
OP

rubi2022sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator rubicon 1966 Jeep commando
Occupation
Lawyer
Thanks everyone. Got the JScan and lights are now all functioning. Have mopar LEDs coming tomorrow so will install and do a quick change in them as well. Night and day difference.

mert34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
glad you got it sorted out, on newer fca vehicles if they are halogen bulbs from factory it expects to see that amount of power draw and when its less like when you install LEDs it things there is a issue and turns it off.
Sponsored