First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
For twice/year, I'd be tempted to build a topper out of plywood and paint it black with bedliner paint. You could attach it with a bracket to the trail rail and tuck the hinged back door under the tailgate for locking. Plywood with a 2x3 frame can be pretty strong. Bracket the upper corners for rigidity and even wire in lights or put in plexiglass windows for pets. Probably wouldn't cost $100.
Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Twice a year? Buy a tarp.
I need security for the few times a year I will use a topper. I need to be able to keep things out of sight and locked/secured to a point that it would require quite an effort/disturbance to get to them. Whether I am transporting tools on a multi day trip or maybe keeping expensive gear out of site and secure at a trailhead or campground. I realize with time and tools a topper won't stop a dedicated criminal.....but it does deter the sort of casual pick pocket opportunist type of person.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For twice/year, I'd be tempted to build a topper out of plywood and paint it black with bedliner paint. You could attach it with a bracket to the trail rail and tuck the hinged back door under the tailgate for locking. Plywood with a 2x3 frame can be pretty strong. Bracket the upper corners for rigidity and even wire in lights or put in plexiglass windows for pets. Probably wouldn't cost $100.

That is exactly my plan!!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The outside of the bed rails are roughly 62" wide. The length is about 64" to the back edge of the tailgate. If anyone knows of a similar size and would like to share the make and model it would be appreciated.

I think the plywood topper idea might me a good idea. Everything else is so dang expensive.
Somebody needs to measure a short-bed Tacoma I bet they are close-ish.
I would really prefer a custom-built old-school aluminum 'camper shell' tho - would look clunky/utilitarian/old man? Bring it on :like:

OldSchool2.JPG

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
$3000 is too much for the twice a year I would want it.
My A.R.E. color match with carpet and 12V light inside, slider cab window, and pet screens was $1800. Just got it on.

Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator JTcapped

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My A.R.E. color match with carpet and 12V light inside, slider cab window, and pet screens was $1800. Just got it on.

That does look very good!! Is the price even less if you go with plain black and skip the pet screens?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
That does look very good!! Is the price even less if you go with plain black and skip the pet screens?
I believe the paint match was a no charge option. Pet screen cost was minimal.

swampwagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

This looks great! Where did you purchase from at that price? Exactly what I am looking for on my black Overland.

Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Topper is on.
Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator D631C389-3830-4F8D-BE82-4D0EB92D85A1
Looks sharp. How big is the gap from the cab rear window to the front of the cap? Wish they didn't have that scallop that's needed for other truck models. Other than that really like the way it lines up on the truck.

Roamerram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 2500, Gladiator Rubicon
Looks sharp. How big is the gap from the cab rear window to the front of the cap? Wish they didn't have that scallop that's needed for other truck models. Other than that really like the way it lines up on the truck.
same here. any idea why they have this goofy looking gap?
Thanks for posting the pictures. Been waiting for these a long time. If you have time please post some more. maybe some closeups...

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
same here. any idea why they have this goofy looking gap?
Thanks for posting the pictures. Been waiting for these a long time. If you have time please post some more. maybe some closeups...
My guess is they reused a portion of the mold for another truck like the Ranger which is arced at the back of the cab.

Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator {filename}

Roamerram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 2500, Gladiator Rubicon
My guess is they reused a portion of the mold for another truck like the Ranger which is arced at the back of the cab.

what a lame rational on leer part but totally possible. The ranger gap looks identical. It's a problem for me I will have to overcome.

Afireman

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I agree, the curve doesn’t match the design. It’s obvious this top is a modified version of a different truck. I love the back, but the front leaves some to be desired. I also would have liked to see the rear window secure behind the tailgate so you don’t need a key, similar to the Wrangler. Maybe they’ll. Improve it in the future. Overall I’m satisfied.

Sponsored