Let's talk about winter issues

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
My neighbor retired a few years back from Polk County, Iowa - where he operated their trucks and equipment and plowed snow. Yeah, that's pretty much it........... he actually enjoyed that work as he built up tons of OT and could have a lot of summer days off as comp time.
Lived in Urbandale for about 10 years..... Don't miss the snow!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Lived in Urbandale for about 10 years..... Don't miss the snow!
And the older I get the less I like it........ my wife is hoping for a VERY white Christmas - I'll show her how to operate the snow blade on the lawn tractor, or maybe just not bother. We both have JEEPS! Especially if I find some better WINTER/SNOW/ICE tires for the JT, but then the WJ will slog through snow and crud very well as it is. Man that thing is reliable and stable in winter - but I don't want to rust it with all the salt and it's not been undercoated or anything so it's starting to suffer rust. Had the rocker panels replaced last summer as there were pin holes starting.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
And the older I get the less I like it........ my wife is hoping for a VERY white Christmas - I'll show her how to operate the snow blade on the lawn tractor, or maybe just not bother. We both have JEEPS! Especially if I find some better WINTER/SNOW/ICE tires for the JT, but then the WJ will slog through snow and crud very well as it is. Man that thing is reliable and stable in winter - but I don't want to rust it with all the salt and it's not been undercoated or anything so it's starting to suffer rust. Had the rocker panels replaced last summer as there were pin holes starting.
maybe you can get her (or you) a set of these for your winter driving. They are very good...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...2020&autoModel=Gladiator&autoModClar=Overland

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Any tricks to deal with ice build up in the door channels? Had snow melt from the roof and freeze later as it dripped down the sides, and this morning I had a hard time just opening the front door. Am I just stuck spraying on tons of de-icer?

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Any tricks to deal with ice build up in the door channels? Had snow melt from the roof and freeze later as it dripped down the sides, and this morning I had a hard time just opening the front door. Am I just stuck spraying on tons of de-icer?
A garage solves that issue remarkably well. :giggle:

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
A garage solves that issue remarkably well. :giggle:
wish I had more space in mine, but a convertible and the wife's car already occupy the two spots... oh well, was just wondering if there was some sort of Jeep trick for this

OP
OP
Up venture

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
wish I had more space in mine, but a convertible and the wife's car already occupy the two spots... oh well, was just wondering if there was some sort of Jeep trick for this

I'm in the same boat yesterday got into the truck as I opened the door I cringed from the sound of cracking ice. Lol I guess the best way to limit this is park in a manner that will let the drainage of melted ice to flow away from your door by parking on an incline :LOL:

But keeping the roof clear of snow as much as possible helps.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Put silicone grease on the weather strip around the doors. Try Shin-etsu grease from Honda

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Put silicone grease on the weather strip around the doors. Try Shin-etsu grease from Honda
that part I did do, no problem with the doors being stuck on the seals. It's the big build up of ice in the channel once you get the door open about 6 inches or so

I use the Syl-Glyde stuff from Napa

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
that part I did do, no problem with the doors being stuck on the seals. It's the big build up of ice in the channel once you get the door open about 6 inches or so

havent had that issue yet

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Post a picture if it happens again so we can see what is going on. Thx

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase