Sponsored

Level with springs, possibly overextending shocks?

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
Recently put some Clayton 1.5” lift springs (final lift 2 inch for wrangler jl) up front to level after winch and steel bumper was installed on my willys.

Ride is great on road but if I hit an abrupt speed bump I get a clunk at the downtravel after the bump and while disconnected offroad I'm jolting like crazy on uneven terrain.

I have some fox 2.0 0-1.5 lift shocks coming to see if i can win back some shock extension and possibly correct this issue.

Stock Willys shocks currently sitting at 22” bolt to bolt.

Has anyone experienced this joltiness after leveling out? Could anything else be causing the jolting?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
It looks like the red shocks you have are fully extended at 23.6" If you are at 22" at ride height, you are nearly maxed out. You aren't missing up travel, you are out of down travel.

OP
OP

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
It looks like the red shocks you have are fully extended at 23.6" If you are at 22" at ride height, you are nearly maxed out. You aren't missing up travel, you are out of down travel.
Ok thanks that makes sense then. The Fox 2.0 will extend to 25.85 so hopefully that will be enough without throwing too much else off.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Ok thanks that makes sense then. The Fox 2.0 will extend to 25.85 so hopefully that will be enough without throwing too much else off.
That should get you back to near stock levels of down travel. You should be fine.

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Unfortunately no answer on the shocks. but I do have a question regarding the Clayton Level...Did you just get the springs or did you use the full 1.5" level from Clayton? Is the rear level or did you have to add spacers?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
Unfortunately no answer on the shocks. but I do have a question regarding the Clayton Level...Did you just get the springs or did you use the full 1.5" level from Clayton? Is the rear level or did you have to add spacers?
Currently measurement at the bottom of rock rails is 17” up front and rear at around 17.5”.

I used these springs:
Jeep Wrangler JK/JL 1.5" Front Coil Springs, & Jeep Gladiator JT 0.5" Lift Front Coil Springs

title is misleading as they mean .5” on diesel JT, I got more of the JL result.

i have an apex 12000 winch on a knockoff mopar steel bumper with oem skid and nothing else done to suspension.

OP
OP

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
I have an update!

installed fox 2.0 0-1.5 lift shocks and my issue is resolved.

Also… holy shit these shocks are amazing. Night and day difference in ride quality in high and low speed driving.
Sponsored

Reactions: JT1