Long time Toyota owner potentially coming over

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
@Eccracer104, I debated whether or not to post what I did specifically because I know there are people like @ilovebikes99 that think the diesel platform is great. And for them, it is. But there are also several other examples of pure frustration. Two that come to mind:
  • This one, where the parts needed were backordered and the original owner dumped it rather than wait on a fix.
  • This one, where the guy had possession of it for less time than it's been in the shop:

Just do some research and be prepared to make the right choice for you. I originally wanted the diesel, but there were just way too many cons and points of potential failure. The right Jeep to have put a diesel in would have been the TJ - too much electronics and emissions gear get in the way now (IMO).
Hm you do seem a bit biased now. I followed your links and they didn't prove anything.
First guy is a youtube content guy who over dramatized a weep and traded in the truck because he ran out of content to make.
Second guy just had an ECU problem. ECU problems happen on many cars and there wasn't any other gladiator diesels with failed ECUs. So not sure what you're banking here but it seems like you're slandering diesels with some bias.

You can find many more posts of Pentastar engines granading.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Hm you do seem a bit biased now. I followed your links and they didn't prove anything.
First guy is a youtube content guy who over dramatized a weep and traded in the truck because he ran out of content to make.
Second guy just had an ECU problem. ECU problems happen on many cars and there wasn't any other gladiator diesels with failed ECUs. So not sure what you're banking here but it seems like you're slandering diesels with some bias.

Yeah I think that's called an opinion. I made one.

OP
OP
Eccracer104

Eccracer104

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tundra
@Eccracer104, I debated whether or not to post what I did specifically because I know there are people like @ilovebikes99 that think the diesel platform is great. And for them, it is. But there are also several other examples of pure frustration. Two that come to mind:
  • This one, where the parts needed were backordered and the original owner dumped it rather than wait on a fix.
  • This one, where the guy had possession of it for less time than it's been in the shop:

Just do some research and be prepared to make the right choice for you. I originally wanted the diesel, but there were just way too many cons and points of potential failure. The right Jeep to have put a diesel in would have been the TJ - too much electronics and emissions gear get in the way now (IMO).
Iā€™m no stranger to forums. 100% understand the extremes as 90% ofJeep owners arenā€™t on forums and 5% that join are just to blast out an issue or problem theyā€™re having hoping for a solution or to vent

Definitely need to read down the rabbit hole to figure out whatā€™s best for us. Part of it is having only owned gas engines I lean that way already.

Totally appreciate having both sides of the coin though! Good experiences and bad :beer:

OP
OP
Eccracer104

Eccracer104

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tundra

Thank you for starting my rabbit hole journey! Haha.

Iā€™m taking everything with a grain of salt. My rough guess is thereā€™s likely ~80% gas and ~20% diesel out running around. And likely weighed heavier than that to gas. On numbers alone there will be more gas issues. Hell, everything can have issues. Just gotta weigh the pros, the cons and severity of the issues :fist bump:

Edit: also our available options. Itā€™s more difficult to find a reasonably priced diesel as it is gas with the color and options weā€™d like to have. Had my gal known what she wanted weā€™d have placed an order and had it already. She specā€™d out a wrangler - ordered it - and then a few weeks later changed her mind to the Gladiator. The JL still hasnā€™t shown up at the dealer either. But sheā€™s antsy for a rig so shopping whatā€™s on lot and in transit to find something. Thereā€™s a few dealers waiving markup. One weā€™re looking at now in Simi Valley has the markup waived but of course some $2k dealer add on junk.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Iā€™m no stranger to forums. 100% understand the extremes as 90% ofJeep owners arenā€™t on forums and 5% that join are just to blast out an issue or problem theyā€™re having hoping for a solution or to vent

Definitely need to read down the rabbit hole to figure out whatā€™s best for us. Part of it is having only owned gas engines I lean that way already.

Totally appreciate having both sides of the coin though! Good experiences and bad :beer:
I think you're smart to ask questions openly to the group of people (that are like you) that have the vehicle you're contemplating.

While I don't have a diesel, I do live in SoCal and have owned 8 bulletproof Acuras prior to my Jeep purchase (we still own an RDX). I bring up our Acuras because Toyota's reliability has been mentioned.

Thus far, through 23K miles, our Jeep has been as bulletproof and is way more entertaining to own. It's basically a convertible truck that can go anywhere. This may be a pro or a con to you, but in car-conscience SoCal, driving a Gladiator gets you noticed. I still get asked about it all the time. From all different types of people (young/old, male/female).

Sure Tundras are nice trucks, but they're not an experience. You experience this vehicle. And especially if you have kids, they'll love it.

Good luck with whatever route you choose... šŸ‘ :jk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eccracer104

Eccracer104

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tundra
I think you're smart to ask questions openly to the group of people (that are like you) that have the vehicle you're contemplating.

While I don't have a diesel, I do live in SoCal and have owned 8 bulletproof Acuras prior to my Jeep purchase (we still own an RDX). I bring up our Acuras because Toyota's reliability has been mentioned.

Thus far, through 23K miles, our Jeep has been as bulletproof and is way more entertaining to own. It's basically a convertible truck that can go anywhere. This may be a pro or a con to you, but in car-conscience SoCal, driving a Gladiator gets you noticed. I still get asked about it all the time. From all different types of people (young/old, male/female).

Sure Tundras are nice trucks, but they're not an experience. You experience this vehicle. And especially if you have kids, they'll love it.

Thank you for your input! Weā€™ll be keeping the Tundra as well (itā€™s my truck), the Gladiator will be my fiancĆ©es truck :jk:

Definitely going to be taking the JT out wheeling, camping, road trips, etcā€¦
No kids (yet), but our dog loves the wind flowing through his fluffy face so windows down or top off heā€™ll be stoked! Just wonā€™t have the doors off for fear of him slipping out.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Re: SoCal car culture
My wife's Honda dropped its transmission at 62K and has been in the shop a month waiting for a warranty replacement (get it back next week, hopefully). Her/our kids are all Honda owners, with the Glendale crew having just upgraded to an MDX. She went down to stay with the granddaughters while Mom & Dad went to the Central Coast for a mini vacation, took the JTR.

The girls LOVE the big Jeep, and it was tough explaining that moving car seats was more than Mimi signed on for!

Don't plan on stealthing out, my wife drives slower in the big Jeep than her Honda unless she has a Challenger in front!

I will point out the irony of the new/old Jeeps doing transport duty to make up for the dead Honda.....

Nigelcorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's Ecodiesel
I came from a 19 Tacoma TRD-OR to a ecodiesel Willy's gladiator with Mopar 2" lift and 37's, and I couldn't be happier.

The tacoma was fun, but always underwhelming with the engine not making any power until 3500rpm and the transmission being the absolute worst I've ever had in a vehicle (slightly improved with the KDMax tune but still a huge pain).

I love everything about the diesel gladiator, it suits my driving style. I generally drive very defensively, but I love that it makes most of its torque down in a usable cruising rpm, like around 2000.

I'm on 37's, and about 50/50 highway/45mph city, I am averaging 23 now, was at 24-25 when it was warmer. I actually drop a bit on straight highway trips, usually around 21-22, but that's still significantly better than I saw on the Tacoma with 31's.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i always have been a toyota fan here. Just hate how far behind they seem to stay on interior upgrades such as electronics. I really liked the JKUR 13 model we had for a few months and always kind of wanted another. When they came out with a truck, i knew I had to have one. I love my JT.

OP
OP
Eccracer104

Eccracer104

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tundra
I came from a 19 Tacoma TRD-OR to a ecodiesel Willy's gladiator with Mopar 2" lift and 37's, and I couldn't be happier.

The tacoma was fun, but always underwhelming with the engine not making any power until 3500rpm and the transmission being the absolute worst I've ever had in a vehicle (slightly improved with the KDMax tune but still a huge pain).

I love everything about the diesel gladiator, it suits my driving style. I generally drive very defensively, but I love that it makes most of its torque down in a usable cruising rpm, like around 2000.

I'm on 37's, and about 50/50 highway/45mph city, I am averaging 23 now, was at 24-25 when it was warmer. I actually drop a bit on straight highway trips, usually around 21-22, but that's still significantly better than I saw on the Tacoma with 31's.
Nice! Got any pictures?

Oh god the 3rd gen Taco power train is the worst. I loved both my 2nd gen Tacos but waaaay happier with the Tundra.
i always have been a toyota fan here. Just hate how far behind they seem to stay on interior upgrades such as electronics. I really liked the JKUR 13 model we had for a few months and always kind of wanted another. When they came out with a truck, i knew I had to have one. I love my JT.
Yota interiors are way behind the curve for sure.
Haha rad! I believe weā€™ve tracked ours down. Going to go check it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed! :rock:

Sponsored

Nigelcorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's Ecodiesel
Nice! Got any pictures?

Oh god the 3rd gen Taco power train is the worst. I loved both my 2nd gen Tacos but waaaay happier with the Tundra.
Absolutely. Here is the Taco. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with it.

Jeep Gladiator Long time Toyota owner potentially coming over PXL_20210601_003004567-01

Jeep Gladiator Long time Toyota owner potentially coming over PXL_20210220_180352663

And here is what replaced it:

Day 1, and about 20 miles of ownership:

Jeep Gladiator Long time Toyota owner potentially coming over PXL_20211012_204636473.MP

And with a little flex in Moab after I got the diamondback and tent on.

Jeep Gladiator Long time Toyota owner potentially coming over IMG_1071

OP
OP
Eccracer104

Eccracer104

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tundra
Absolutely. Here is the Taco. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with it.

And here is what replaced it:

Day 1, and about 20 miles of ownership:

And with a little flex in Moab after I got the diamondback and tent on.

Very nice! Blue looks killer šŸ‘

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
My advice....make sure you marry her. Any woman that loves 4Runners and Gladiators is a keeper. I had 3 5th Gen 4Runners before my JLUR and now JTM and wouldn't go back. Happy hunting for the Gladdy.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2023 JTM
Regarding the mpg, I recommend staying relatively small with the tire size - maybe 33s instead of 35s. Also, if going up to 35s, a regear may improve mpg by still allowing for top gear use. Most tire upgrades are mainly for looks anyway since the JT is very capable for most offroading in stock trim.

Sheā€˜ll love the Gladiator. Iā€™m a former 4runner owner(1991) and Taco owner(2016) - The Toyota 4x4s are great vehicles. They were well built and reliable. Both felt underpowered, Toyota geared them fairly well from the factory which somewhat made up for it. Otherwise, I liked them both. However, the main problem I had was that they were boring compared to Jeeps. With the Gladiator(and prior Wranglers) every season it seems like I have a new vehicle(Spring and fall - T-Tops off, Summer - Doors off, Winter - all closed up)

OP
OP
Eccracer104

Eccracer104

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tundra
My advice....make sure you marry her. Any woman that loves 4Runners and Gladiators is a keeper. I had 3 5th Gen 4Runners before my JLUR and now JTM and wouldn't go back. Happy hunting for the Gladdy.
Weā€™re engaged. Definitely keeping this one! Haha. Thank you!

Weā€™re checking one out today. Fingers crossed!

Regarding the mpg, I recommend staying relatively small with the tire size - maybe 33s instead of 35s. Also, if going up to 35s, a regear may improve mpg by still allowing for top gear use. Most tire upgrades are mainly for looks anyway since the JT is very capable for most offroading in stock trim.

Sheā€˜ll love the Gladiator. Iā€™m a former 4runner owner(1991) and Taco owner(2016) - The Toyota 4x4s are great vehicles. They were well built and reliable. Both felt underpowered, Toyota geared them fairly well from the factory which somewhat made up for it. Otherwise, I liked them both. However, the main problem I had was that they were boring compared to Jeeps. With the Gladiator(and prior Wranglers) every season it seems like I have a new vehicle(Spring and fall - T-Tops off, Summer - Doors off, Winter - all closed up)
I totally hear ya, but if she could have 37s sheā€™d be on 37s haha. I had to talk her down to 35s.

Also super excited to do that!My dad has a JKUR but I donā€™t think heā€™s ever messed with the roof or top. Weā€™ll definitely take the top off!
Sponsored