First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I am a retired guy at the beach in Coastal NC. I bought my Overland for the convertible top. It will likely never see anything but pavement or concrete. I do love the vehicle so far.

My question:

Would there be any advantage gas mileage wise or mechanical to maybe remove the front drive shaft?

Don’t laugh at me too hard. Just love convertibles and I love the Gladiator so far.
Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Not likely. The front axle disconnect (little box attached to back of the axle on front passenger side) disconnects the front axles to reduce drag when not in 4wd. So between that and the transfer case not being in 4wd the front driveshaft is not spinning either. I suppose about the only thing you could say is that it would remove the weight of the shaft from the vehicle. I'd be inclided to just leave it installed rather than bother with it.

OP
OP
Spur

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Not likely. The front axle disconnect (little box attached to back of the axle on front passenger side) disconnects the front axles to reduce drag when not in 4wd. So between that and the transfer case not being in 4wd the front driveshaft is not spinning either. I suppose about the only thing you could say is that it would remove the weight of the shaft from the vehicle. I'd be inclided to just leave it installed rather than bother with it.
Thanks. Makes sense. Did not know it was automatically disconnected.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Plus - in the event of a hurricane or other natural disaster, having to re-install the front drive shaft in a hurry will probably be a PITA. If you are like me you will misplace some of the smaller hardware... I say leave it attached for just in case day... 😁
Sponsored