How to spot a Mall Crawler

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
NASA’s online “Dictionary of Technical Terms for Aerospace Use” considers the two terms synonyms. But if an old-school paper dictionary is more your speed, I’ve got an American Heritage College Dictionary in front of me, and it defines engine as: “A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.” It also defines motor as: “Something, such as an engine, that produces or imparts motion” or “A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, as an internal-combustion engine.”

The dictionary specifically mentions the internal combustion engine as a type of motor.
The term for “engine” in other languages is actually “motor.” For example, if you translate the term “diesel engine” into German, you’ll notice that their word for it is “Dieselmotor.” Plus, if you look at any old advertising for American car companies at the turn of the 20th century, you’ll likely see the term “motor” used more often than “engine.” (Not to mention, we call a bicycle with an internal combustion engine a *motor*cycle).

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.
(from wordnet - PRINCETON University wordnetweb.princeton.edu )

In one of MIT’s “Ask An Engineer” columns entitled “What’s the difference between a motor and an engine?” the author talks with Mary Fuller, an MIT literature professor, about the history of the two terms. The story says “motor” comes from the Latin term movere, which means “to move,” and that—while it initially referred to the actual force causing something to move, it was later used in reference to “the person or device that moved something or caused movement.”
In the early 19th century, the meanings of motor and engine had already begun to converge, both referring to a mechanism providing propulsive force. “The first recorded use of ‘engine’ to mean an electrical machine driven by a petroleum motor occurs in 1853,” says Fuller.

So you have a motor in your car if it's gas, but you don't have an engine in your car if it's electric.
That's according to language experts and engineers.
Wait a second. So it's all bullshit? Dang it.
Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
what's it like cleaning bugs off windshield? looks like the dumbest thing ever, we have a sick society lol

Last edited:

ScottE

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Financial Services
LMAO! .. The names and descriptions of Jeep owners go far and wide like no other vehicle ever. This has been going on for decades.
Let's look at a few.

Mall Crawler.-- Fully equips their Jeep to cruise the Malls to impress the people who otherwise wouldn't be impressed by the sight of a Jeep.

Poser. --- Fully equips a Jeep to travel miles out a dirt road to find a suitable rock to put a wheel on. Usually trying to impress Mall Crawlers.

Dirt Road warrior.-- Partially equips a Jeep to blaze dirt roads with doors and top off, drinkin a cold one while jammin to Jason Aldean. Takes pics after to show 3 inches of dirt in Jeep. Usually trying to Impress Posers.

Raw Talent Jeeper. -- One that takes a mildly modded Jeep and finds an off camber ATV trail to scrape the roof or roll bar and create a little body damage. Well, because chic's dig it. Usually gets the attention of Dirt Road warriors.

From there we go to the Easy trail riders to the Hard core Rock crawlers. ( BlueRibbon Coalition decals ) usually indicates a level of off road talent. Not always. And about 100 other categories in between. Many different strokes for different folks here. But no matter where you are in the Jeep world, you're in a Jeep. And that's all that counts. Happy Trails.

FYI-- Good organization to join if you want to help preserve places to ride.

https://sharetrails.org/#Welcome
Great roll-up! LOL. I have always loved and admired Jeeps. When the Gladiator came out the Ridgeline and VW GTI were traded. I was smitten. I will more than likely not mod my rig. This is my hunting and camper puller. I live in South Dakota, plenty of snow to play in.

Dieselcrackel

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport
Hey to each their own. I see a lot of jeeps here in NJ that are raised,bigger tires,rock rails & a winch and are only done for looks.
Me personally I always liked the wranglers for taking the doors & top off. My JT is now my 4th Jeep and besides taking doors & top off I now have a pickup that can haul and tow things.
I’m a happy camper.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Let’s see, this guy has it all (bumper, roller fairlead, light up high, lights down low, big lift kit, bigger tires) $1000s of dollars of “cool” off road stuff. However he is missing the one thing he really needs... A WINCH! And if that isn’t enough toss in the overheating of the angry Jeep and vision constructing windshield plastic and you have a nobodies mall crawler. See reference photo. Oh and of course, clean as a whistle where one doesn’t often clean!
AC22E75E-B720-409B-ABF6-BFE340257E80.jpeg
AC22E75E-B720-409B-ABF6-BFE340257E80.jpeg
Mad Max took place in 2021, just saying.........

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Are we complainig about this?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are we complainig about this?
Not me. I think chicks driving Jeeps is hot. And a chick that knows how to DRIVE a Jeep, and offroad, is beyond sexy.