Sponsored

Mall Crawler, Rock Crawler, or just crawling?

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have had my JT for 11 months, all I've done are LED headlights, CMM mirrors for doors off, and foot pegs. I'm on a lease for 2 more years and as of now planning to buy it out after. Any major mods will have to wait until after that.
Sponsored

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I could not afford a Rubi, and I likely can not afford a lift or tires for years to come.
My truck will be here in a few weeks now and is my first "real"Jeep - coming from a Cherokee trail hawk.

Part of these builds people post do make me envious. However I stop and think about what I actually plan to use my Jeep for. House projects, camping/towing, and being able to enjoy the summer drives : all of which make me extremely happy.

As another poster said the Jeep doesn't care what money you put into. You don't need $5k in mods to go off road a few times a year (we go in the trail hawk! people still don't believe it till we show them.) I am thrilled to just have a unique truck. Let your time in it decide what mods you need, not the other way around.

To me the Jeep brand is to be outdoors and to make life fun. The off roading is a secondary branch of that that some really enjoy. If my sport and max tow can just get me down a minor trail to a cool view - that's all I need. I can't wait for summer.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoy this forum, but I do think a forum like this attracts people who do mods like a picnic attracts flies. They feed on each others' excitement, and I think it's fun to see some of the builds they come up with. The same can be said for other vehicle forums I've been a part of. I enjoy being a part of that enthusiasm.

BUT -
I just don't think it's realistic to go by what's said in here and think it means the majority of JT owners spend 10 grand on mods right after the purchase. I believe the vast majority of us actually don't. Most of us probably just enjoy our trucks, maybe adding something here and there along the way - maybe not.

My avatar shows me off-roading on some deep sand with stock tires, wheels, and suspension. That day I saw other trucks getting stuck and having to get pulled out of the sand, but my stock truck went through it with ease. I don't need and don't want a lift and 37's do do any of what I do. And it's still a real useable truck with all its built-in ability to haul and tow. To me, that's what it's all about.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
It costs money for mods. It also costs money to fix when you inevitably break something from wheeling. "You pay to play," a mechanic once told me after a $1500 bill from repairing something that broke while on a trail.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I enjoy this forum, but I do think a forum like this attracts people who do mods like a picnic attracts flies. They feed on each others' excitement, and I think it's fun to see some of the builds they come up with. The same can be said for other vehicle forums I've been a part of. I enjoy being a part of that enthusiasm.

BUT -
I just don't think it's realistic to go by what's said in here and think it means the majority of JT owners spend 10 grand on mods right after the purchase. I believe the vast majority of us actually don't. Most of us probably just enjoy our trucks, maybe adding something here and there along the way - maybe not.

My avatar shows me off-roading on some deep sand with stock tires, wheels, and suspension. That day I saw other trucks getting stuck and having to get pulled out of the sand, but my stock truck went through it with ease. I don't need and don't want a lift and 37's do do any of what I do. And it's still a real useable truck with all its built-in ability to haul and tow. To me, that's what it's all about.
My eventual mod cost will probably be in that 10 to 20k range, but I plan to build my Sport like a Mojave with better suspension. These are very long term goals though.

Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Jeeps in general are ready to go out in the abyss from the show room floor. Experiment on the capabilities. I used to do medium rated trails in my stock 08 JKU Sahara. Just pick your lines carefully. go out and have fun. IMPORTANT! Put a sticker on it that reads "If you can read this, turn me over" :LOL:

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
Only "mods" I'm planning on my Overland is a light bar and when the stock tires get replaced it will be something with a more aggressive tread.
Sponsored