First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I was surprised they didn't use d-rings to start with and wondered why Matt or someone didn't get any out. What's the purpose of having and not using them
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I was surprised they didn't use d-rings to start with and wondered why Matt or someone didn't get any out. What's the purpose of having and not using them
They use a lot of soft shackles, but he's pretty new to recoveries in this style with the lifted tow.
I'm sure he just didn't want to damage the finish.
Some people out there are pretty ridiculous. They'll get themselves stranded and then raise hell if you scratch something trying to get them out.

I pulled an FJ rear bumper right off through the bolts one night, because the guy didn't want to get muddy and get under there to hook to something solid.

He gave me a, "WTF?!"
I said, "You should be able to hook to the frame now. It's right there".

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
DV8 made a video as well.
That Bronco has some serious weaknesses.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Matt actually didn't have any bow shackles, they came off one of the other dv8 rigs that happened to have some.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
Matt actually didn't have any bow shackles, they came off one of the other dv8 rigs that happened to have some.
I don't think he ever said whether he had any or not, but when they volunteered them he was off the hook for any finish damages they might have caused.

The autopsy, so to speak, on the second video after they pulled the bumper off shows that the bumper held up just fine, but the Bronco frame wasn't made of much.
Granted, you're not supposed to lift one by the bumper, but sometimes things happen, and some strength in that area could be important.
Makes you wonder how one might fare while winching at angles up or down.
Sponsored