Sponsored

Mechanical break down insurance through Geico?

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone have any experience with this add on by Geico for new vehicles?

I’m a believer of a rainy day funds VS investing hundreds or thousands in extended warranties that may never be used and am therefore inclined to decline this coverage that would expire at 7 years / 100,000 miles.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts contrary to mine on the matter?

Here’s Geico’s site on the matter:

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/
Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Interesting. How much does that add to your premium?

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
Always ask for what things are actually covered with these extended warranty coverages. I can't tell you how many times customers would be upset at us because the coverage they bought didn't cover the things that actually broke.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Did they call you ;) :LOL::LOL::LOL: or did you discover this yourself?

OP
OP
Jefe1018

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Interesting. How much does that add to your premium?
It’s only like $8 a month, so roughly $50 bi yearly. There is also a $250 deductible to use.

Always ask for what things are actually covered with these extended warranty coverages. I can't tell you how many times customers would be upset at us because the coverage they bought didn't cover the things that actually broke.
Exactly, I’d rather not prepay for repairs before things break. It also has a $250 deductible!

Did they call you ;) :LOL::LOL::LOL: or did you discover this yourself?
I went to quote adding my JT, they add it automatically but you can opt out of it.

Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
It’s only like $8 a month, so roughly $50 bi yearly. There is also a $250 deductible to use.

Exactly, I’d rather not prepay for repairs before things break. It also has a $250 deductible!

I went to quote adding my JT, they add it automatically but you can opt out of it.
Well most of these coverages don't actually kick in until some time after buying them so buying it and trying to use it right away isn't going to work. For example on whats covered we would call the repair in for an A/C related repair. Temp blend door actuator is broken so we call it in and they tell us they only cover main A/C components like the compressor, blower motor, condenser but no hoses, actuators, controllers...

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Im getting this insurance next month, the coverage is basically bumper to bumper. For the cost, 250 deductible is more then resonable. Yes, you have to go through jeep warranty first until the 3yr bumper to bumper and 5yr powertrain warranty ends but still worth it for .25 a day. Obviously, they wont cover aftermarker parts.

OP
OP
Jefe1018

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Im getting this insurance next month, the coverage is basically bumper to bumper. For the cost, 250 deductible is more then resonable. Yes, you have to go through jeep warranty first until the 3yr bumper to bumper and 5yr powertrain warranty ends but still worth it for .25 a day. Obviously, they wont cover aftermarker parts.
Well my diesel is covered under a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. I think it’s more of a peace of mind thing than anything else. I’ll probably be opting to skip it.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
that is insanely cheap! You have to wonder how much they will cover or try to cheap out on.

Some years ago I read Doug DeMuro articles about abusing his extended Carmax warranty. So, I bought a used M3 with the warranty there, for several thousand dollars. Which is ten times what this Jeep warranty is.

and, I probably got $20,000+ of covered repairs in that thing. I still made out like a bandit!

Bottom line is, if it only costs a hundred bucks, but it might save you thousands+ then it’s probably worth it.

OP
OP
Jefe1018

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
that is insanely cheap! You have to wonder how much they will cover or try to cheap out on.

Some years ago I read Doug DeMuro articles about abusing his extended Carmax warranty. So, I bought a used M3 with the warranty there, for several thousand dollars. Which is ten times what this Jeep warranty is.

and, I probably got $20,000+ of covered repairs in that thing. I still made out like a bandit!

Bottom line is, if it only costs a hundred bucks, but it might save you thousands+ then it’s probably worth it.
Well I took another look at my quote $26.83 for 6 months is actually less than $5.00 a month.

I’ve had a MaxCare warranty in the past which did in turn “pay for itself” in term of parts and labor. I figure now for $54ish dollars a year I cannot get Jeep to sell me lug nuts.

Per Geico’s website, all mechanical parts are covered… guess we’ll need to figure out if that includes things like radios, window actuators or strictly the engine and trans in terms of mechanical failures but not electronic sensors and the like.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Yea, if they covered even a little something it would pay for itself!
Sponsored