First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Not to toot my own horn or anything but I do have my old Midland mxt400 listed here for like forever. Lol
Sponsored

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Someone school me on walkie talkies, why these are either bad or good? And if bad, what do you recommend?
These are fine handhelds, midland is a good company in the segment. I have this same set for use on my property, but without the jeep branding so cheaper.

In terms of capabilities, GMRS is handy since quite a few radios span FRS & GMRS, the latter allowing higher power. Useful utility radios.

If you step up to amateur radio, which requires a technicians license at minimum, you get into an entirely different class of equipment in cost and capability. Fewer folks on the trail will have a ham setup than gmrs, but ham gear links you into nationwide networks of repeaters, data transmission, reliable 50mi range. For example with a handheld ham radio I can setup the mobile unit in the rig to digipeat the transmissions from my handheld, making it essentially a private repeater. With a gain antenna and 50w on the mobile I can reach out a long way and tie into networked repeaters (igates) that can transfer my messages to the cell network or mapping applications. If you get into HF Near Vertical Incidence Skywave (NVIS) you gain the capability get your signal in and out of deep valleys and canyons with a 1-200 mile range footprint.

This is a deep, deep hole. From "lightest duty" to most capable goes FRS<GMRS<Amateur. Cost, complexity and responsibility increase significantly along the way. For general use id say GMRS is the best bang for the buck, $30, no test, one license covers your whole family for 5 years. FRS falls under the gmrs umbrella so to speak.

As a PSA, I'd encourage anyone to work for their ham license. If you were interested in SAR or just technology, ham privileges offer global reach with 10w or less. We are at the peak of the solar cycle so you can enjoy 10m right now (same frequency roughly as CB) which is usable with the basic tech license.

Because of the higher level of professionalism and the public service focus of ham radio, if you are trouble and reach someone via the ham bands, there is a high likelihood you are in touch with a capable and diligent responder. Quite a few would find nothing better than to coordinate a rescue response even if that is simply relaying information to local authorities.

rubicon4wheeler

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Safety Supervisor
So what were the perfect conditions in which Midland managed to measure a 38 mile range with these 2-watt FRS radios? :CWL: Please don't expect that kind of performance from these toy radios in the real world.

FRS is definitely superior to CB, but I would consider GMRS with some actual wattage behind it to be a bare minimum for what we do.

But of course as a licensed ham operator, I will have to encourage you to consider getting a ham license so you can operate a real radio.

10ecHarry

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
Plumber
Jeep® Brand Collaborates With Midland Radio to Deliver Co-branded Walkie Talkies
  • Iconic off-road Jeep® vehicle establishes Midland Radio as the market leader in off-road communications
May 11, 2023 , Kansas City, Mont. - Today, Midland Radio, the leader in two-way radio communication technology, announced its collaboration with the Jeep® brand the authentic global SUV brand that brings capability, versatility and off-road adventure to owners and enthusiasts around the world. Midland Radio is kicking off the relationship with the introduction of the T77VP5J Jeep X-Talker Extreme Dual Pack, the first of many Jeep-branded Midland products to come.

Midland Radio and the Jeep brand have long been at the forefront of the off-roading community, providing rugged and reliable products that enthusiasts love. The dedication and affinity toward this community over the years is why both brands continue to create unrivaled experiences for this audience through innovative products and events. Midland's continued sponsorship of Jeep Jamboree and this newly announced relationship further solidifies Midland Radio's position as the market leader in off-road communications and the trusted manufacturer for Jeep enthusiasts.

The T77VP5J Jeep X-Talker Extreme Dual Pack is a by-product of Midland’s long-time customer favorite T71 license-free handheld. With features that include up to 38 miles in range, 36 channels, crisp communication and Weather Alert Radio with Weather Scan technology, users can venture far and wide without worrying about losing contact or getting caught in severe weather. A micro-USB charging port also allows for easy, accessible in-vehicle recharging. Now, Jeep enthusiasts can show off their love for the brand on a practical piece of equipment that they can take with them on the trails or out while camping.

“When the leading automotive manufacturer brand of off-road vehicles chooses and trusts you as their go-to off-road communication equipment, you are doing something right,” said Dan Schwartz, CEO of Midland Radio. “We are excited to partner with the Jeep brand and to announce the T77VP5J. We aim to enhance all Jeep enthusiasts’ experiences by providing the best possible communication while hitting the trails in their Jeep 4x4 vehicles.”

The T77VP5J is the first Midland Radio product to bear the Jeep brand logo, with additional models to come in the popular MicroMobile line.

The T77VP5J Jeep X-Talker Extreme Dual Pack is offered at $134.99 and is currently available for purchase from Midland and approved retailers.

bu023_143ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_144ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_145ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_146ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_147ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_148ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_149ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_150ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_151ev-jpg.jpg

bu023_152ev-jpg.jpg
Bet ye a dollar you are not gonna get nowhere near 38 miles range.

vf171

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland '15 Cherokee '18 JLUS (RIP)
or $35 for walkies only and you don't need all the additional bullshit.

https://www.grainger.com/product/49VZ76

agree with bourbonrunner, hopefully in the future a 2-way communication system between jeeps will be integrated to onboard.
let's hope the blue oval boys do it. Then Jeep will get off their asses. Maybe.
Sponsored