First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
or $35 for walkies only and you don't need all the additional bullshit.

https://www.grainger.com/product/49VZ76

agree with bourbonrunner, hopefully in the future a 2-way communication system between jeeps will be integrated to onboard.
That will never happen. The amount of engineering, design, manufacturing and installation would be expensive plus technology will march on leaving whatever 2-way radio is built in your vehicle obsolete in 2yrs. Plus FCC rules occasionally change sometimes allowing radios to do more stuff, further obsoleting the built in radio.

I lived through this in the 70s when car mfrs considered installing AM/FM/CBs as standard equipment then later working for Hughes Aircraft div of General Motors on a project to integrate an SDR AM/FM radio, cell and GPS into one unit. The project eventually got canceled.

Aftermarket radios work ok and give you many more choices than a factory built in radio that was designed by someone else that has no clue how we use these things. Also walki-talkies are a great option for many and will usually talk to every vehicle within a convoy or off road outing.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
Call Me when a collaboration includes a built in unit with. Handheld for spotting....

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
That will never happen. The amount of engineering, design, manufacturing and installation would be expensive plus technology will march on leaving whatever 2-way radio is built in your vehicle obsolete in 2yrs. Plus FCC rules occasionally change sometimes allowing radios to do more stuff, further obsoleting the built in radio.

I lived through this in the 70s when car mfrs considered installing AM/FM/CBs as standard equipment then later working for Hughes Aircraft div of General Motors on a project to integrate an SDR AM/FM radio, cell and GPS into one unit. The project eventually got canceled.

Aftermarket radios work ok and give you many more choices than a factory built in radio that was designed by someone else that has no clue how we use these things. Also walki-talkies are a great option for many and will usually talk to every vehicle within a convoy or off road outing.
Cb's lasted maybe more than a few years.... the OEM Indash stuff was CRAP...

GMRS has many years in it and would be great upgrade

NewGladdyOWNR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
MRI Technologist
Someone school me on walkie talkies, why these are either bad or good? And if bad, what do you recommend?

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Someone school me on walkie talkies, why these are either bad or good? And if bad, what do you recommend?
They are not necessary bad just priced higher for having Jeep logo on it. GMRS is a newer thing better range capable but "requires FCC license. FRS radios is shorter range than GMRS, but capable of communicating with GMRS and vis versa. You can pick up a multi-pack of them from most stores that have outdoor accessories. To comment on "Walkie-talkie's" of day long passed they operated on AM "C.B." channel 14. There is some real experts that can explain more, how and what, ect, ect more on all of the types of radios than I. I started getting back into radios a year or so back AKA: GMRS. Many in my family had and done the C.B. stuff since I could walk. Most of what I knew I've forgotten on them. I was the Commo NCO for my infantry company for better part of a year... different types of radios n stuff.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cb's lasted maybe more than a few years.... the OEM Indash stuff was CRAP...

GMRS has many years in it and would be great upgrade
GMRS has been around since about 1948 and it has never caught on very much. I don't think any car mfr is going to embrace it now and include it in a factory car radio.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They are just roughly 2 watt FRS/GMRS radios and cost a little more than others due to the Jeep branding. They would be fine for offroading and talking to other vehicles in the group or keeping track of the kids at a swap meet, etc. You can get the same or better performance and quality for less if you shop around.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
That’s a mobile base unit. These are portable handled units. A bit different applications. Many people have both.

They’ll likely do this for a mobile one later on though.
I also run a Motorola HT1250.

Midland is China made junk.

Sponsored

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Steep price considering these are Micro USB and not USB-C like everything else now-a-days. Seems more like a gimmick to off some old stock.

But it IS Jeep branded so....

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
GMRS has been around since about 1948 and it has never caught on very much. I don't think any car mfr is going to embrace it now and include it in a factory car radio.
FYI, if you ever want to do a Jeep Jamboree. You have to have GMRS radio. I have a Rugged Radio in my truck. 45 watts, good range. A lot of jeepers are going to GMRS radios and dumping CB radios. Rugged has a kit for the gladiator. Everything you need, wires the right length. I’m very happy with mine. My circle of guys I got out with are getting GMRS radios. License is not expensive and good for 10 years

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FYI, if you ever want to do a Jeep Jamboree. You have to have GMRS radio. I have a Rugged Radio in my truck. 45 watts, good range. A lot of jeepers are going to GMRS radios and dumping CB radios. Rugged has a kit for the gladiator. Everything you need, wires the right length. I’m very happy with mine. My circle of guys I got out with are getting GMRS radios. License is not expensive and good for 10 years
I've been doing GMRS since about 1978 and am happy to see it becoming popular with the off road crowd. Its a nice way to get reliable comms and you can make use of high end police/public service type radios that will provide a high level of performance. A lot of these high end radios can be had surplus for less than a new Midland or some lower grade radios.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
In general GMRS is great for 1-mile-ish range communications, or further depending on terrain and antennas. Much much more if in range of a repeater, and cross country if the repeaters are linked. Great for groups in the same area. Can broadcast to several people at once, more convenient than having to make a phone call, and many areas don't have good cell service anyhow. Some share GPS locations or simple text messages to the group.

Installed in car usually means a better antenna and more convenient mike than a GMRS hand held, but a hand held can also be wired to a better antenna and external mike. FRS radios share the same frequencies but are stuck with their built-in antenna and microphone and speaker, and have 2W instead of 5W power. Vehicle mounted mobile units can have up to 50W power.

Also grab a satellite text device of some kind for even better reliability of comms off grid. Keep it on your person even if you are only going for a short hike.
Sponsored