First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
I’ll be visiting Moab in July for the first time but with a group that has been there several times before. I have a Overland with only a 1 1/2” front level, Rubicon take off Fox shocks, JKS swaybar disconnects and a set in of 34” Toyo AT3’s.

I realize anything extreme is out of the question but have been told that there are bypasses at most difficult obstacles.
What can I expect with my setup?
Sponsored

Last edited:

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
A massive amount of fun. Have you ever been before? If not, then I can guarantee you will be grinning ear-to-ear the whole time, no matter what. My wife still says our last trip there was literally the happiest she has ever seen me.

I've only ever done tame things in Moab in a rent-a-wreck, but that thing was an only mildly-upgraded sport (JKU) and was killin it. I'm sure others will have more input - I'm just excited for you and a little jealous over here.

RedRockRider

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2013 JK, 2021 Gladiator JTRD
As long as you are prepared to drag the rear end a little, you will have a blast!

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from Moab. I was there for a week. It is great fun. I have a stock Rubicon on stock 33". I started out slow with Chicken Corners and Hurrah Pass. Not challenging, but still a blast. The scenery is spectacular!

I did about half of Fins and Things. It isn't all that hard, but will get your heart rate up. I wish I'd gone with a group. I ended up teaming up with a guy who was in a stock 2001 Ram 1500. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him on top of a "fin". His transmission was leaking and his power steering was gone, so I helped him off the trail.

We did the White Rim trail in Canyonlands National Park. It is 65 miles of everything off-roading has except for mud. Rock crawling, sand, switchbacks, ruts, gravel, a few epic hill climbs. To do the whole thing, start early. We hit that trail at 10:00 AM and hit pavement again at 7:30. Plan accordingly with water, food, etc. It was a long day and finishing it in the dark was stressful. Can be out and back, too. It was so much fun and the scenery is stunning.

There are tons of trails that you can do including Canyonlands. It will be so helpful to have experienced people along. I plan to go every year.

Jeep Gladiator Moab Questions 20210305_120449

Jeep Gladiator Moab Questions 20210306_140415

Jeep Gladiator Moab Questions 20210306_120720

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
... stock 2001 Ram 1500. Couldn't believe ...
Woof, looks a lot like mine. Can't believe the thing made it there, much less did a trail. No disrepect, it's a great truck, I just wouldn't ask that much of it ... and yes, my power steering pump has yarfed on me before. Not fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Abnmarine

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
As long as you are prepared to drag the rear end a little, you will have a blast!
I expect that to happen. Hopefully just the hitch. I have to be careful as I’m towing a small camper out there from Florida.

I do plan to put the spare tire in the bed to avoid it taking damage

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I’ll be visiting Moab in July for the first time but with a group that has been there several times before. I have a Overland with only a 1 1/2” front level, Rubicon take off Fox shocks, JKS swaybar disconnects and a set in of 34” Toyo AT3’s.

I realize anything extreme is out of the question but have been told that there are bypasses at most difficult obstacles.
You've got lockers and a sway bar disco. Your Jeep will be great. Before everyone went nuts with 37's or even 35's, these trails were done with Jeeps on 33's. Your Jeep's capability will exceed what you are likely willing to try. Have fun and don't be afraid to rub the skids or frame rails or hitch. They can take it!

I'm going on my 3rd trip to Moab soon. In fact, we're leaving 2 weeks from tonight. I did the 2015 EJS in my 2008 JKU Rubicon on 33's and it kicked ass. It had about the same ground clearance or maybe a little less with it's 2" lift than your Rubi has. So yours will do anything my JK did and probably a little more because the JL/JT suspension is a little better. And nothing climbs the steep hills like a Gladiator. That's where that long wheelbase really pays. It would do Mickey's Hot Tub better than anything out there!

OP
OP
Abnmarine

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
I’m excited to go and put this diesel to work. I’ll be visiting Ouray, CO afterwards for the BOH trails there too. The whole trip will take me three weeks and will be a blast.

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I expect that to happen. Hopefully just the hitch. I have to be careful as I’m towing a small camper out there from Florida.

I do plan to put the spare tire in the bed to avoid it taking damage
Woof, looks a lot like mine. Can't believe the thing made it there, much less did a trail. No disrepect, it's a great truck, I just wouldn't ask that much of it ... and yes, my power steering pump has yarfed on me before. Not fun.
Yeah, the truck was on 33", so there are a ton of other trails in the area that he could have done just fine. He wanted to do one he'd seen on YouTube. He explains to me that everything he owns is in that truck and he's headed to Oklahoma for a job. So, I felt obligated to get him off that trail in one piece despite himself. His transmission had overheated and pushed the pan bolts out. He was running it in 4H. Why? His power steering came back after it cooled and he made it OKC.

Sponsored

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Before everyone went nuts with 37's or even 35's, these trails were done with Jeeps on 33's.

It would do Mickey's Hot Tub better than anything out there!
Many of Moab's trails have been trashed over the years by lead-footed drivers and, more recently, by UTVs. As the trails deteriorate, they require more highly modified vehicles, often to compensate for lack of driving skill. i.e.: 40 years ago, I could easily make it to The Waterfall on Poison Spider in 2WD on 30" tires. Now 4WD is required almost as soon as you leave the trailhead. I highly recommend novice Jeepers take a course in off-road driving or join someone on the trail who truly knows how to drive off-road with minimum impact on the trail and on the vehicle.

As for the Mickey's Hot Tub comment...are you kidding? While you can get through the Hot Tub in a Gladiator, it might be about the worst vehicle in which to tackle that obstacle. You might be scraping both ends at the same time. And then there's the breakover angle issue. I'd think twice about entering in a JTO on a levelling kit and 34's.

And for the OP: There are many trails in the Moab area that are perfect for your setup and experience level. If you don't already have it, pick up the FunTreks guidebook by Charles Wells. I've lived here for 47 years and have found that it is often the easier trails that lead to the most amazing scenery, such as Chicken Corners, Shafer Trail, Onion Creek, Spring Canyon Bottom, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abnmarine

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
I appreciate all of the information. While Moab will be new to me, I have confidence in the experienced group that I’ll be with. I’m definitely not attempting the Hottub. Haha.
I did order a hitch skid plate today in hopes that it takes the abuse and not my hitch or bumper. I’ll still remain cautious and enjoy the trip.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
And for the OP: There are many trails in the Moab area that are perfect for your setup and experience level. If you don't already have it, pick up the FunTreks guidebook by Charles Wells. I've lived here for 47 years and have found that it is often the easier trails that lead to the most amazing scenery, such as Chicken Corners, Shafer Trail, Onion Creek, Spring Canyon Bottom, etc.
Perfect advice right here. Do yourself a favor and pick these books up. Spiro bound versions at that and leave in your Jeep. These books are the best. AZ, Moab, Cali and Colorado available.

OP
OP
Abnmarine

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
Perfect advice right here. Do yourself a favor and pick these books up. Spiro bound versions at that and leave in your Jeep. These books are the best. AZ, Moab, Cali and Colorado available.
I agree they are great. I already have them along with the Colorado trails from when I lived there. It would be nice if the map data was compatible with the ucconnect.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Many of Moab's trails have been trashed over the years by lead-footed drivers and, more recently, by UTVs. As the trails deteriorate, they require more highly modified vehicles, often to compensate for lack of driving skill. i.e.: 40 years ago, I could easily make it to The Waterfall on Poison Spider in 2WD on 30" tires. Now 4WD is required almost as soon as you leave the trailhead. I highly recommend novice Jeepers take a course in off-road driving or join someone on the trail who truly knows how to drive off-road with minimum impact on the trail and on the vehicle.

As for the Mickey's Hot Tub comment...are you kidding? While you can get through the Hot Tub in a Gladiator, it might be about the worst vehicle in which to tackle that obstacle. You might be scraping both ends at the same time. And then there's the breakover angle issue. I'd think twice about entering in a JTO on a levelling kit and 34's.

You scrape the hitch, which most vehicles do. Gladiators climb out of it easier than anything I've seen due to the wheelbase. End of story. I drag the hitch all the time in my Wrangler. No biggie.
Sponsored