mojave or rubicon

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
I can assure you, My Rubicon does not drive like a Cadillac, so you win there :LOL:. Also, off-road, washboard roads, are indeed very rough, until you disconnect. Once you disconnect the sway bar, it feels good. I disconnect on every dirt road, just for ride quality, even if I don't need the articulation.
Well, it definitely does not drive like a Cadillac, just compared to my JLURD it seems like it, lol.

It's at higher speeds on washboard roads where the Mojave is great. It's rough at slow speed on washboard roads, so probably not much difference there.

Not being able to disconnect (without aftermarket disconnects) is a bummer with the Mojave for slow off road. It's much less comfortable and rough. A disconnected Rubicon just stays level and is really nice.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Well, it definitely does not drive like a Cadillac, just compared to my JLURD it seems like it, lol.

It's at higher speeds on washboard roads where the Mojave is great. It's rough at slow speed on washboard roads, so probably not much difference there.

Not being able to disconnect (without aftermarket disconnects) is a bummer with the Mojave for slow off road. It's much less comfortable and rough. A disconnected Rubicon just stays level and is really nice.
You could always just manually disconnect. A little more time consuming, sure, but it works.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
Why do people fall for this… every… day…?

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
You could always just manually disconnect. A little more time consuming, sure, but it works.
True. But I wish they had given Mojave owners the option for the electronic disconnect – the fact that they auto-reconnect at speed is great for a desert runner that has to hit intermittent patches of slow-going rocks.

Sponsored

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Why do people fall for this… every… day…?
It is an odd question to ask about which is a better ride. If I wanted a comfortable vehicle, I would not be driving something with a solid front axle. Kind of like asking which would be your preferred method of botched execution.

rwalls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Storyteller Beast, 2022 JTR Gobi on order
For me, I wanted the Mojave as it fit my style of driving better… but the payload is higher on the rubicon in the manual. 1300 vs 1200. I don’t know why, perhaps springs are different? But calling dealers with manual Mojave’s and Rubicons it was clear the Rubicon had a higher “real” sticker payload. We ended up going with the Rubicon as we will likely be at GVWR when towing due to the tongue weight.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
The ride quality between the two comes down to the FOX shocks 2.0 (Rubicon) or the 2.5 (Mojave).

I hate the bouncy floaty on-road ride of my Rubicon so I have to upgrade shocks. I need to be able to manually “dial in” the shocks, not just take what I’m given in non adjustable shocks like the 2.0 and 2.5 versions.

One time, waiting at at a dealership, I was looking at the Mojave on the floor and the salesman came over and kicked up a conversation with me. I mentioned noticing the difference in shocks between the rubicon and Mojave and not liking the ride feel on mine. He said “anytime I want to UPGRADE he can get me into the Mojave”. I looked at him and said UPGRADE?? Can’t I just upgrade the shocks to something else to get the ride I want? The conversation ended.

Here’s what dialling in shocks looks like. Watch the slow mo in this video. Yeah, it’s an extreme example but you can obtain what ever ride you want with shock upgrades.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
So OP’s question, which gives better ride and handling? Right off the showroom floor? No upgrades?
I would say the Fox 2.5 wins over the 2.0.
What model gives better handling? You’d have to start equal with both vehicles and the only way with that is to get underneath and retorque all the nuts and bolts to manufacture specs first. Make sure the suspension bits didn’t come all loose and sloppy from the factory. Then the handling would be on par with each other.

Sponsored

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
The ride quality between the two comes down to the FOX shocks 2.0 (Rubicon) or the 2.5 (Mojave).

One time, waiting at at a dealership, I was looking at the Mojave on the floor and the salesman came over and kicked up a conversation with me. I mentioned noticing the difference in shocks between the rubicon and Mojave and not liking the ride feel on mine. He said “anytime I want to UPGRADE he can get me into the Mojave”. I looked at him and said UPGRADE?? Can’t I just upgrade the shocks to something else to get the ride I want? …
Mojave also has cast iron steering knuckles and reinforced frame, which may affect handling and ride quality, IDK.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
If you ain’t gonna rock crawl and you can live without a front locker and sway bar disconnect, get the Mojave. Absolutely love mine! Personally, I think the Mojave looks better too….probably the fake air scoop on the hood. Lol!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
No response from @mark walk, but if he had searched he could've just read the 100 or so other threads about this debate.

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
I’m biased but unless you’re going rock crawling the Mojave in stock form is the best driving Gladiator on the road for all other circumstances. Dirt roads are 60mph and comfortable.
And “Bingo” was his name-o.