John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Could be another option to fit any shock but once again no picture... shocks
I’ve seen those as well. Those are cheap enough to order and just try. At that price, they may just be new bushings.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Here’s what rear Fox 2.5 adjustables sound like after less than 10k miles…$1500.00 shocks should not sound or perform like this in such little time. They have seen zero off-road use btw.

Thats just dry seals? Little silicone spray on the shaft will fix that right up!

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thats just dry seals? Little silicone spray on the shaft will fix that right up!
Yeah for about a week.Then back to it. I don’t take this truck off-road, it’s in SoCal so it’s not like it’s in any harsh weather and they have less than 10k miles. My point is that for 1500 a set I should not have to do anything especially this soon.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah for about a week.Then back to it. I don’t take this truck off-road, it’s in SoCal so it’s not like it’s in any harsh weather and they have less than 10k miles. My point is that for 1500 a set I should not have to do anything especially this soon.
Maybe use a thicker lube like Sil-Glide? That you are not using the truck hard is probably the issue. If you got some heat into the shock and there was a microscopic leak that lubed the shafts they wouldn't be sticky/squeaking?

I've had my rear 2.5's squeak before, but now after 22K miles and working them probably harder than 99% of the members here, it never happens. I have also been into my shocks about 14 times over the past 5 months, so they are getting regularly cleaned too.

In my opinion, this is why the manufacturers shouldn't really be offering these packages to people who don't use them and understand there is different maintenance with high performance components. Mall crawlers buy Rubicons and Mojaves for a fashion statement then bitch about the poor fuel economy, ride quality, or maintenance interval?

I suggest to my "Poser" clients to buy the cheaper base model, then add stickers, spring spacers, and take off wheels to create the persona of the desired package if that's all they want....... To me it's stupid, but people want to flaunt gold chains, LV purses, and high trim vehicles while racking up huge debt and eating Top Ramen to afford the payments on equipment they will never benefit from? Not me........I buy what suits the intended use.

Last edited:

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Maybe use a thicker lube like Sil-Glide? That you are not using the truck hard is probably the issue. If you got some heat into the shock and there was a microscopic leak that lubed the shafts they wouldn't be sticky/squeaking?

I've had my rear 2.5's squeak before, but now after 22K miles and working them probably harder than 99% of the members here, it never happens.I have also been into my shocks about 14 times over the past 5 months, to they are getting regularly cleaned too.

In my opinion, this is why the manufacturers shouldn't really be offering these packages to people who don't use them and understand there is different maintenance with high performance components. Mall crawler buy Rubicons and Mojaves for a fashion statement then bitch about the poor fuel economy, ride quality, or maintenance interval?

I suggest to my "Poser" clients to buy the cheaper base model, then add stickers, spring spacers, and take off wheels to create the persona of the desired package if that's all the want....... To me it's stupid, but people want to flaunt gold chains, LV purses, and high trim vehicles while racking up huge debt and eating Top Ramen to afford the payments on equipment they will never benefit from? Not me........I buy what suits the intended use.
Whether they are used for off-road or not has nothing to do with the fact that they should not need anything done to them other than cleaning before 10k miles. I have a JK that is fully built, used off-road and is meant to take a beating. I’m not buying a 60k truck adding 15-20k in high end products to take it off-road and treat it like my weekend off-roader. This truck was meat to be used as a truck to haul my trailer and to use the bed. That’s what trucks are really for, no gladiator will ever be as capable as my JK period.

So as a “poser” yeah I except more from a set of $1500 shocks especially when the manufacturer states seals/service is to be done at 50k miles if not used off-road. I clean the shocks and have used grease as well to lube them but it still comes back after a few weeks. No where does it state they should be greased every couple of weeks. These shocks were purchased to get a better ride vs the stock shocks. If I wanted a set for off-roading I would’ve gotten some King coil overs.

As for your statement that manufactures shouldn’t offer to people not using them for what they are meant for is just plain ignorant… I’m sure manufacturers/dealers are going to be like, “Hey are you using your truck to go off-road or just to use as a truck??? Just a truck??? Ok we can’t sell you a Rubicon/Mohave” only a base sport for you!

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whether they are used for off-road or not has nothing to do with the fact that they should not need anything done to them other than cleaning before 10k miles. I have a JK that is fully built, used off-road and is meant to take a beating. I’m not buying a 60k truck adding 15-20k in high end products to take it off-road and treat it like my weekend off-roader. This truck was meat to be used as a truck to haul my trailer and to use the bed. That’s what trucks are really for, no gladiator will ever be as capable as my JK period.

So as a “poser” yeah I except more from a set of $1500 shocks especially when the manufacturer states seals/service is to be done at 50k miles if not used off-road. I clean the shocks and have used grease as well to lube them but it still comes back after a few weeks. No where does it state they should be greased every couple of weeks. These shocks were purchased to get a better ride vs the stock shocks. If I wanted a set for off-roading I would’ve gotten some King coil overs.

As for your statement that manufactures shouldn’t offer to people not using them for what they are meant for is just plain ignorant… I’m sure manufacturers/dealers are going to be like, “Hey are you using your truck to go off-road or just to use as a truck??? Just a truck??? Ok we can’t sell you a Rubicon/Mohave” only a base sport for you!
You would have better served by a Max Tow and add the Elocker if you think it needed it........Plain and simple. You get the wide track axles and heavy springs....then you could have added your own low/mid level performance upgrade shocks.

High performance shocks need seals to withstand higher pressures and heat. What you are experiencing is a side effect of higher pressure and the seal material. Again, Mopar should not have sold a person like you this model without a signing a disclaimer.........

I don't sell my clients products that I know they will be unhappy with.......I will look bad in the end! Example: A client came in looking for an EVO Fusion coil over suspension system. I knew he was going to drive it daily, use it for work, and tow heavy trailers. I had him hop into a GenRite coil over LJ build I was finishing and he asked me what all that noise was when the coilover sliders moved. I told him this was not a 100K mile maintenance free option and sold him the Evo Enforcer overland suspension with Kings......A perfect balance between daily use, performance, and off road.

This guy can afford the supermodel girlfriend but I knew he did not have the patience to put up with her shit, so I talked him out of it.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer

I've had my rear 2.5's squeak before, but now after 22K miles and working them probably harder than 99% of the members here, it never happens.I have also been into my shocks about 14 times over the past 5 months, to they are getting regularly cleaned too.

In my opinion, this is why the manufacturers shouldn't really be offering these packages to people who don't use them and understand there is different maintenance with high performance components. Mall crawler buy Rubicons and Mojaves for a fashion statement then bitch about the poor fuel economy, ride quality, or maintenance interval?

I suggest to my "Poser" clients to buy the cheaper base model, then add stickers, spring spacers, and take off wheels to create the persona of the desired package if that's all the want....... To me it's stupid, but people want to flaunt gold chains, LV purses, and high trim vehicles while racking up huge debt and eating Top Ramen to afford the payments on equipment they will never benefit from? Not me........I buy what suits the intended use.
So whats involved with disassembly refresh of fluid and seal and where do you find info on this particular shocks like fluid amount and pressure.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So whats involved with disassembly refresh of fluid and seal and where do you find info on this particular shocks like fluid amount and pressure.
There is no info or manuals because Fox doesn't share it or claims to not have it. I've been learning on my own with the help of Glamisfan. Insane if you ask me, but all the tuners are keeping the info close so we NEED them.

My project today was more tuning in the pursuit of perfection.....
Jeep Gladiator Mojave Shock Rebuild timeframe from Fox = maximum of 50,000 miles 20220430_101738

Jeep Gladiator Mojave Shock Rebuild timeframe from Fox = maximum of 50,000 miles 20220430_102031

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
There is no info or manuals because Fox doesn't share it or claims to not have it. I've been learning on my own with the help of Glamisfan. Insane if you ask me, but all the tuners are keeping the info close so we NEED them.

Jeep Gladiator Mojave Shock Rebuild timeframe from Fox = maximum of 50,000 miles 20220430_102031

Man that looks kind of fun.
That picture Reminds me of MX shocks I used to fiddle with years ago. Same thing there too. No one shared "secrets". Not that Ill ever mess with it but is the bypass adjustable to any degree?

BTW I agree a maxtow gets 90% of what most drivers ever need. I got this Mojave because I wanted a MT with 4.10 axles then discovered after the fact what a fantastic little machine it is.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Man that looks kind of fun.
That picture Reminds me of MX shocks I used to fiddle with years ago. Same thing there too. No one shared "secrets". Not that Ill ever mess with it but is the bypass adjustable to any degree?

BTW I agree a maxtow gets 90% of what most drivers ever need. I got this Mojave because I wanted a MT with 4.10 axles then discovered after the fact what a fantastic little machine it is.
This has turned into an obsession now that I understand how it works! I am pretty much over the r&r of these things, but I'm closing in.

I know almost nothing about the OE internal bypasses, I'm sure you could tune them just like anything else with the right parts and a lot of time.

The manufacturers are doing a pretty good job with giving the enthusiast a good platform to use as is or the guy like me something to build off of. I keep thinking what trucks were like 30 years ago vs now!

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

Not sure why you think it’s insane. It’s proprietary information. The specific parts, special compounds of the O-rings and the oil. Why should they give up their secrets? They spent good $$$ on the R&D and have a service side of the business.

Shock Therapy has made a very lucrative business working the SXS market. They have tons of YT vids showing what they do. Here’s one.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure why you think it’s insane. It’s proprietary information. The specific parts, special compounds of the O-rings and the oil. Why should they give up their secrets? They spent good $$$ on the R&D and have a service side of the business.

Shock Therapy has made a very lucrative business working the SXS market. They have tons of YT vids showing what they do. Here’s one.

I absolutely do not think anyone should be handing over trade secrets especially when they were the ones to invest the time and $$. I do however feel that Fox should have a catalog of service parts, exploded views, and specs for their aftermarket parts. You wouldn't believe the whoops of fire I've had to jump through to get service parts for my 2.5's and air bumps!

If you read my posts above, you may have caught that I'm self employed and in the automotive industry (Greedy capitalist). I don't give away my secrets of tools/methods either. I will help people sometimes, but never just tell someone how to do it.

I have watched Shock Therapy videos for at least the past year. Leaned a lot from them. I no longer own a SXS, but may use them for other things now that they are getting into the truck thing too.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I absolutely do not think anyone should be handing over trade secrets especially when they were the ones to invest the time and $$. I do however feel that Fox should have a catalog of service parts, exploded views, and specs for their aftermarket parts. You wouldn't believe the whoops of fire I've had to jump through to get service parts for my 2.5's and air bumps!

If you read my posts above, you may have caught that I'm self employed and in the automotive industry (Greedy capitalist). I don't give away my secrets of tools/methods either. I will help people sometimes, but never just tell someone how to do it.

I have watched Shock Therapy videos for at least the past year. Leaned a lot from them. I no longer own a SXS, but may use them for other things now that they are getting into the truck thing too.
Its been a while since I’ve watched their vids. Wasn’t healthy. I marathon watched them. Absolutely didn’t know they were getting into the truck market. Targeted to the off-road race or Jeep/crawler crowd?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Its been a while since I’ve watched their vids. Wasn’t healthy. I marathon watched them. Absolutely didn’t know they were getting into the truck market. Targeted to the off-road race or Jeep/crawler crowd?
They said in one of their more recent videos that they were "Partnering with Fox", opening another location where they could hit people inside of 2 days shipping times, and they were going to be doing trucks with OEM performance shocks for now.

When I talked to a CS rep at Fox about any cool new product coming from that partnership that I should be waiting for......he told me nothing secret about it.....Fox had acquired Shock Therapy.

Regardless of what Justin has or has not done in the past, that business has been grown and marketed in a way I see as genius! Looking at the way everything in that shop, equipment and vehicle bears the Shock Therapy "brand". I'm taking a page out of that book a little later than I should have now that people are using my business name in vehicle ads when they are up for sale........That tells me people feel my brand adds value to their build.

I doubt we will ever own a helicopter or throw parties with unlimited hookers and blow.......But making a decent living!

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
Sure. I was just interested in basic shock service information and stock parts. Not looking to gain from someones hard won tuning and improvement secrets. I change my own oil too :)

I figure the stock Mojave shocks are ok when new for messing around in a non-competitive environment and just want to keep them working as designed.

OTOH, if I tried a set of expertly tuned and matched shocks I'd probably kick myself for not doing it sooner.
Sponsored