Sponsored

Mojave tow rating without tow package

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Reread what I wrote, I said the receiver was welded to the rear frame crossmember which is bolted to the frame.
But there is no welding to be done adding the tow package 2” hitch. It is a crazy easy install.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the build sheet. Has the 220 amp alternator. I can’t remember what amp the tow package gets.
240 for the tow package......... mine has tow package with 240 amp alternator.
They had a 180, 220 and 240 as I recall.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
But there is no welding to be done adding the tow package 2” hitch. It is a crazy easy install.
;-) at my age and 25 pounds over-weight with scarred lungs, arthritis, anything I can do in an hour is easy in my way of thinking HAHA.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I did some poking around, looks like the factory HD cooling is the 240 amp alternator. So likely, the Mojave you’re looking at doesn’t have the HD cooling package with the higher speed fan.

Contact the dealer and ask, if they say it does, get it in writing and go for it!

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Agreed you just change the rear frame crossmember which is bolted in, there are hitches advertised on eBay that are just the receiver that somehow bolt to the non tow package rear crossmember, this is an example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Class...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
And what I was referring to in my initial post.
You and me agree.

But wow, that seems shifty. And only class III. So that wouldn’t get you the full tow rating. It’d let you use a bicycle rack. LOL

The OEM 2” hitch is class IV.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP

floridaboater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I did some poking around, looks like the factory HD cooling is the 240 amp alternator. So likely, the Mojave you’re looking at doesn’t have the HD cooling package with the higher speed fan.

Contact the dealer and ask, if they say it does, get it in writing and go for it!
I asked the dealer and the response from the salesman was that it can pull 7000-7500 pounds. I corrected him that the max a Mojave can tow is 6000.

so other than generalized rates in the manual, is there any way to calculate the tow rating from information supplied by Jeep?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I asked the dealer and the response from the salesman was that it can pull 7000-7500 pounds. I corrected him that the max a Mojave can tow is 6000.

so other than generalized rates in the manual, is there any way to calculate the tow rating from information supplied by Jeep?
I looked up the manual and Mojave auto is 6,000lbs
Stick Mojave is 4500lbs

Reactions: Mac

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the link to the Jeep - https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6JJTEG6ML618556

I know the trailer hitch would need to be changed. What I don’t know is if you add the tow package it lists the alternator and cooling. Adding the hitch is easy, the others could get costly.
the alternator and cooling (a larger fan, not a larger radiator) also come as part of other packages.

you get the bigger alternator with the aux switch package for example.

Check out the thread I started back in October. We go back and forth ad nauseam over all the minute details.

Based on what I know now, I would NOT have purchased my Mojave with the tow package. It cost me $500. And with the options on my truck, I already had the upgraded alternator and cooling fan. I've seen the MOPAR hitch receiver as low as $220 since then.

You get nothing for the extra $280 other than having someone install the receiver hitch for you and a zoom feature on your backup camera.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

There's nothing to "calculate". A Mojave with a receiver hitch can tow 6000 lbs.

Do realize that this isn't written in stone. On a practical level if you are towing a 6000 lb something with a large frontal area on the interstate up and over the rockies in July, the Gladiator will probably have a tough time.

Conversely, if you are towing 8000 lb of gravel across town on surface streets at 35 mph in January, you won't have any trouble. The truck doesn't suddenly explode once you cross some theoretical maximum number.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

Sales people generally do not know shit.

It is best to consult your owners manual and your door stickers.
Sponsored