Sponsored

Mojave v Rubicon: DD + overlanding setup & minimal aftermarket updates?

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I was all set to buy a full-size but my trailer was stolen and I'm rethinking everything. As I've always wanted and never had a Jeep and am hitting 50, I figure this is the perfect opportunity. However, I've hot analysis paralysis, and have poured over the forums and am still seeing a "clear" answer so I can temper some of the emotion of the decision and not kick myself too many times down the road. Pun intended.

I am really enamored with the Mojave -- both the looks and the "go fast" mission. It fits well with my forest roads and light, technical offroad and OHV parks. The Rubicon has always seemed like overkill for my use, and all those I have known (and from what I have read) they will shake/chatter you to death over washboard, and similar (which I drive second only to pavement).

Thus, if I weren't also using this as an overlander, I'd be done. BUT, with this mission profile I will be sitting at 900-lbs of the total 1115-lb payload with the normal, daily bits (self, spouse, kids, 2-dogs, softopper, rack, etc). That jumps to ~300-lbs OVER payload fully kited and if hauling the trailer. (Yes, I know re: payload limits but until the kid ages out and the older dog passes... Ugh).

I know I can add stiffer spring to compliment the sexy Fox shocks on the Mojave. However, I'm curious if I would be overall better served buying a Rubicon and swapping in some adjustable Falcons (or similar) along with a spring upgrade. I know I can always start with and may keep air-assist bags in the rear, but I want to optimize the "smooth" over the chatter.

At this point, I really want as stock as possible with the least amount of changes which is why I've limited myself to the Mojave and Rubi as I want the factory rear locker (don't really care about front + disco sway).

If you've made it this far, thank you! And I appreciate any feedback and opinions.
Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
That disco helps smooth the ride on washboards.

You could always install anti rock or try to score a rubi swaybar disco and run it manual or on air.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I think what you're looking for is an actual proper use case for the Mojave. You can toss some 35s on it from the get-go and maybe a stiffer rear spring and you'll probably be good to go.

300# over isn't that bad in reality either... the real number to watch is GAWR so as long as it's people cargo it's likely fine - just get weighed up at a 2-axle scale and compare with the front and rear ratings on the door jamb.-

OP
OP
Toten Unterhosen

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks folks. After deliberation I now own a Mojave! Quite different than my old WK2, but loving it! Actually steers a bit like my old WJ. :)
Sponsored