Flex test - stock Rubicon vs Mojave

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
These videos are a bit long but the science, geometry and technical detail are worth the watch.

Watch the Rubicon video first then the Mojave video to keep the context on order.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I already know where this is going even without watching the videos and I'll tell you it's pointless.

Why wouldn't a truck with a built in sway bar disconnect have a stiffer factory sway bar? If you're designed to disconnect you don't need a compromised solution. Full stiffness or no stiffness. Meanwhile the Mojave needs a softer bar to attempt to serve multiple masters.

I say this as a mojave owner with a disconnect and a full blown fan of the mojave and what it's built for.

But comparing stock to stock without allowing the Rubicon to use the stock equipment that allows it to run a stiffer bar for the pavement to begin with is a bad comparison.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Now do sand dunes at 50 mph in 4 low.
All I keep hearing from the Mojave owners is to go fast in 4 low. One guy said he runs 60 mph in the woods…

I already know where this is going even without watching the videos and I'll tell you it's pointless.

Why wouldn't a truck with a built in sway bar disconnect have a stiffer factory sway bar? If you're designed to disconnect you don't need a compromised solution. Full stiffness or no stiffness. Meanwhile the Mojave needs a softer bar to attempt to serve multiple masters.

I say this as a mojave owner with a disconnect and a full blown fan of the mojave and what it's built for.

But comparing stock to stock without allowing the Rubicon to use the stock equipment that allows it to run a stiffer bar for the pavement to begin with is a bad comparison.
Did you watch the videos? They’re not pitting one against the other, rather showing the capabilities of each.

Stormtroopin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
All I keep hearing from the Mojave owners is to go fast in 4 low. One guy said he runs 60 mph in the woods…

Did you watch the videos? They’re not pitting one against the other, rather showing the capabilities of each.
Yaaa 60 is pushing it, I’m very break happy in big bear when doing 50-60 on the back trails. Other wise Joshua tree is an easy 60+ same with ocotillo and starter wells heck even coyote canyon In The sierras I was hitting 50. Very suprised at how this jeep rides from factory.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Two things - without looking at some gearing calculators, can you really go that fast in 4Lo with 2.72:1 transfer case? With 4:1 I see 8th gear at a very leisurely pace. I would not be desert running in 4Lo. I would be concerned if I re-geared to 4.88 or something that I would have to keep shifting in and out of 4Lo between obstacles, which would be a pain. The flip side of course is that my stock gearing is borderline livable around town with 37s.

Also, I can see how smaller tires and less bump stop would score higher than 37s and more bump, but I know which one is better on rocks.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
It doesn't tell us much, but it is interesting. I would have liked to see each do the same thing locked, but he would need a longer ramp. Would make an interesting comparison to see just how much the locked front diff helps the Rubicon.

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
now we just need this guy to test different suspension lifts on the rubicon and get a longer ramp

The 2021 Colorado ZR2 Bison did better than the Mojave. LOL 🔥
Sponsored