Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover - Install Woes

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I picked up my Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover for my 2021 today , and was super excited to get it installed. I read the instructions beforehand, and it seemed easy enough. I saw I needed a rivet nut tool to install the rail to the front of the bed. No problem, off to harbor freight, and found a rivet tool. Get home with the rivet tool, and none of the mandrel pieces fit the rivet nut on the tonneau cover. It's an m8, which is a common enough bolt size, yet it seems like none of the rivet tools at Lowes or Home Depot, or harbor freight come with this size insert. Anyone else installed the Mopar soft tri-fold themselves, and run into this issue? I hate to do it, but I might have to make a dealer appointment. The install seems so easy, yet I'm stuck on step 1.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You can install the rivnuts without the tool.

M8 Bolt, couple of M8 washers, a bigger nut, M8 nut. Thread M8 nut on first, all the way up, put bigger nut on, then M8 washers. Thread rivnut on a little, insert in hole. Hold bolt head with wrench, tighten M8 nut with another wrench while keeping the whole thing pressed in tight against bed. You are basically crushing the rivnut so it sandwiches the bed wall.

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I actually got really lucky. When I was at harbor freight returning the rivet gun that didn't work, someone overheard me and happened to have a rivet tool. A complete stranger hooked me up. After the rivets were installed, the rest was easy

20210516_183443.jpg

20210516_183614.jpg

20210516_194255.jpg

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m I. the same boat as you Cover arrive today no River tool Thank God for Amazon one day delivery I’ll have one tomorrow question did you use the nuts that came with the kit as they look different Then the ones that come with the tool it looks like the parts that squash are inside of the nut not on the outside of that makes sense? Anyway I hope the tool I purchased will work it’s the one in the link above in the previous post
I used different rivet nuts. The ones that came with the Mopar cover were way to thick to be crushed anything but a pneumatic tool. If you use different ones, make sure they are large enough to cover the hexagon, and strong enough that your tonneau cover doesn't end up on the street.

Sponsored

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
In case anyone was wondering you can crush the Mopar rivet nuts with the Amazon tool I did a test now I’m down a Mopar rivet nut does anyone know the part number? I wanted to try one first without placing it in the hole better safe than sorry I do have a pack of the Amazon ones the Hexagon gold ones but not sure if that’s heavy duty enough

B6EDCBA5-EDF5-4C9C-89AF-51B9D0468376.jpeg

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
If the soft roll-up and the tri-fold use the same hole in the bed…for a 2021…then use the rivnut M8 6511062AA—from a conversation with Benny.
Jeep Gladiator Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover - Install Woes DE20600F-A3D5-4341-9B41-C751A38A53EA
Jeep Gladiator Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover - Install Woes 2D3F6807-459C-4C3A-B642-9AE2F877F201
Jeep Gladiator Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover - Install Woes F88BA697-7344-4E5A-A279-A6CD42720202

Last edited:

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
This is the one 6511062AA for 2021! Thank you!

Sponsored

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
They do include 2 of the 6511062AA rivet nuts in the new version of the soft roll cover I need an extra one as a Did a test with the tool from Amazon to see if it would work pulling them and it does

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
I sold my tonneau to a guy last week and left my rivnuts in my bed. He bought two of the 6511062AA and installed no issue.

Last edited:

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
I sold my tonneau to a guy last week and left my rivnuts in my bed. He bought two of the 6511062AA and installed no issue.
I just bought these (6511062AA) and they are 2 big to fit in the hex hole> The small one is a M8 and came with soft roll up and fits fine the larger one is also a m8 part number (6511062AA) but you can see the hex size is 2 big to fit in hole in bed I scewed up and pulled one of the originals as a test to see if the tool could handle it now 2 weeks later im still searching for a replacement...LOL ps there will be a new Mopar soft roll up out in bulk trash this Wednesday ! Im done

Jeep Gladiator Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover - Install Woes IMG_1639

Jeep Gladiator Mopar tri-fold tonneau cover - Install Woes IMG_1640

Last edited:

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
I just bought these (6511062AA) and they are 2 big to fit in the hex hole> The small one is a M8 and came with soft roll up and fits fine the larger one is also a m8 part number (6511062AA) but you can see the hex size is 2 big to fit in hole in bed I scewed up and pulled one of the originals as a test to see if the tool could handle it now 2 weeks later im still searching for a replacement...LOL ps there will be a new Mopar soft roll up out in bulk trash this Wednesday ! Im done

Am I reading your post correctly?

You received two rivnuts in the soft roll-up tonneau kit?

Installed them, but used a puller to remove one? I take it that process makes it unusable. I have never done it.

And now you need a new rivnut, and the part Mopar identifies as the one, isn’t the one?

And you’re still searching for a replacement rivnut that will work?

@Green_Gladiator, which rivnut did you buy for the soft tonneau, top hole?

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
Am I reading your post correctly?

You received two rivnuts in the soft roll-up tonneau kit?

Installed them, but used a puller to remove one? I take it that process makes it unusable. I have never done it.

And now you need a new rivnut, and the part Mopar identifies as the one, isn’t the one?

And you’re still searching for a replacement rivnut that will work?

@Green_Gladiator, which rivnut did you buy for the soft tonneau, top hole?
That about sums it up except I never installed the rivet nut I used. I just wanted to make sure that the tool I bought could handle the rivet nuts part so I Compressed one Making it unusable so now I’m looking for another rivet nut
Sponsored