Sponsored

Mopar winch plate experience?

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I used the left holes. It seems tight against the grill but you really need to pull the plate all the way forward and it will fit.
Thats the ones I was thinking to use... it does look like its going to be a tight fit... I did pull the plate as far forward as I could, I cheated by tightening down the fairlead bolts to draw it up close to the bumper. Everything is torqued to spec, Probably over the weekend I might remove the bumper and attempt the install. Did you have room in front of the winch to re-tighten all the fairlead bolts? How much of a pain were they to get to?

I do appreciate your reply.
Sponsored

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
Don't mean to take this off topic but if any of you guys/gals aren't installing the extended crush can along with the extended crush can plastic cover, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. A kid backed into my mine and put a good dent/crack into mine.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Don't mean to take this off topic but if any of you guys/gals aren't installing the extended crush can along with the extended crush can plastic cover, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. A kid backed into my mine and put a good dent/crack into mine.
I'm still debating if I will install it or not, I'll keep your request in mind if I end up not installing them.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Thats the ones I was thinking to use... it does look like its going to be a tight fit... I did pull the plate as far forward as I could, I cheated by tightening down the fairlead bolts to draw it up close to the bumper. Everything is torqued to spec, Probably over the weekend I might remove the bumper and attempt the install. Did you have room in front of the winch to re-tighten all the fairlead bolts? How much of a pain were they to get to?

I do appreciate your reply.
The fairlead bolts were not as bad as some of the others to get to. My Warn bolts were too short though to go through all the way. Ended up using some a little bit longer.

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just finished the MOPAR winch plate install, haven't tackled the winch install just yet, but I have a question for those who have installed a WARN ZEON winch, which holes did you use to mount it, since there are four holes, just curious which ones you used for a centered winch. Thanks. Hope my question isn't too confusing. I am asking about the holes that are in STEP 11 on the plate.
MOPAR Winch Plate.jpeg

I agree with @DankjeeP ... I used the ones on the left in the pic (passenger side when installed). For me, this left the winch exactly centered.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The fairlead bolts were not as bad as some of the others to get to. My Warn bolts were too short though to go through all the way. Ended up using some a little bit longer.
I got my fairlead set up and torqued before putting in the winch. (I have a Xeon 10-S.) After the winch got in there, it was super-tight up against the bumper... I can't really get in to work the fairlead bolts w/o taking the bumper off. (And after the winch is in there, the two pairs of "inside" bolts that attach the bumper are a challenge for my skills.)

And as @DankjeeP notes, you might have to find slightly longer bolts, depending on your exact choice of fairlead.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I agree with @DankjeeP ... I used the ones on the left in the pic (passenger side when installed). For me, this left the winch exactly centered.
YUP! Woot I hope you had an easier time than me haha, reading directions is not my strong suit.

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
YUP! Woot I hope you had an easier time than me haha, reading directions is not my strong suit.
Truth? I looked at the picture of the instructions... and thought: "I've seen that paper, but didn't know there were two sets of holes!" Then went out onto the driveway with a flashlight, crawled under the JT and checked to see what I did.

I bet I plunked the winch in there lined it up and didn't even notice the other holes. Dumb luck I didn't pick the wrong ones. :)

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Maybe ping Benny @allmoparparts on this forum for the part numbers. Probably not easy to find being repair parts, but I'm sure he could dig them up.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I got my fairlead set up and torqued before putting in the winch. (I have a Xeon 10-S.) After the winch got in there, it was super-tight up against the bumper... I can't really get in to work the fairlead bolts w/o taking the bumper off. (And after the winch is in there, the two pairs of "inside" bolts that attach the bumper are a challenge for my skills.)

And as @DankjeeP notes, you might have to find slightly longer bolts, depending on your exact choice of fairlead.
AS I understand it, the Fairlead bolts go through the winch plate front area, so that’s why I figured I would have to wait till after I get the winch installed before being able to put the bumper and Fairlead on. Then I came across this on the MOPAR site about winch install directions: (apparently they say you can get the winch in WITH the bumper installed???

https://www.imagesmartdealer.com/mopar_accessories_isheet/K6862408.PDF

So now I have more questions... looking at the installation instructions, I am a bit confused:

1) Steps 4 & 5 not sure what these are being removed for
2) Steps 7 & 8 say to loosen but not remove the nuts that hold the bumper in place, slightly pull the bumper forward
3) Step 16 shows that you can slide one side of the winch then slide in the other with the bumper attached
4) Step 24 & 25 reinstalling parts removed in steps 4 & 5, still don't understand the purpose
5) Step 26 & 27 show inserting the mounting nuts and tightening them down

But, if according to the instructions, I can squeeze the winch in WITHOUT removing the bumper, that would definitely make getting the inner two bumper nuts re-tightened easier.

Basically I am asking if anyone has installed a winch in accordance with the MOPAR instructions without fully removing the bumper? If I am missing something please feel free to let me know.

So after that long post, basically I am asking if the most common install was winch first then put bumper and fairlead on and bolt everything down? Thanks for reading my long post.

Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
AS I understand it, the Fairlead bolts go through the winch plate front area, so that’s why I figured I would have to wait till after I get the winch installed before being able to put the bumper and Fairlead on. Then I came across this on the MOPAR site about winch install directions: (apparently they say you can get the winch in WITH the bumper installed???

https://www.imagesmartdealer.com/mopar_accessories_isheet/K6862408.PDF

So now I have more questions... looking at the installation instructions, I am a bit confused:

1) Steps 4 & 5 not sure what these are being removed for
2) Steps 7 & 8 say to loosen but not remove the nuts that hold the bumper in place, slightly pull the bumper forward
3) Step 16 shows that you can slide one side of the winch then slide in the other with the bumper attached
4) Step 24 & 25 reinstalling parts removed in steps 4 & 5, still don't understand the purpose
5) Step 26 & 27 show inserting the mounting nuts and tightening them down

But, if according to the instructions, I can squeeze the winch in WITHOUT removing the bumper, that would definitely make getting the inner two bumper nuts re-tightened easier.

Basically I am asking if anyone has installed a winch in accordance with the MOPAR instructions without fully removing the bumper? If I am missing something please feel free to let me know.

So after that long post, basically I am asking if the most common install was winch first then put bumper and fairlead on and bolt everything down? Thanks for reading my long post.
I did not get my winch from Mopar, so I haven't seen these instructions before, but my guess is step 4&5 are required to gain access. That said I am not even sure what that part is to be honest. It looks like the front of the frame where the bumper mounts (just under) but that would be where the skid plate is. So this "bar" thing is a mystery to me. Looking a little further down in the instructions there are 4 bolts in the front of the winch plate. These do not exist on mine. My guess is these are the wrong instructions. That said, it is not that difficult to do. Remove the bumper (8 nuts) mount winch plate, mount winch etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I did not get my winch from Mopar, so I haven't seen these instructions before, but my guess is step 4&5 are required to gain access. That said I am not even sure what that part is to be honest. It looks like the front of the frame where the bumper mounts (just under) but that would be where the skid plate is. So this "bar" thing is a mystery to me. Looking a little further down in the instructions there are 4 bolts in the front of the winch plate. These do not exist on mine. My guess is these are the wrong instructions. That said, it is not that difficult to do. Remove the bumper (8 nuts) mount winch plate, mount winch etc.
I think that bar (that goes between the frame horns) is on a Sport or Overland model. It wasn't on my Rubi. I agree that those steps are likely to get access.

I took the (Mopar) bumper off for my winch install. This was mostly because I didn't see anyone publishing any videos or web pages indicating a successful install that tried to only loosen it.

Maybe that's the way that the factory techs are trained. I'm not sure.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
An update on my experience with the Moper Winch Plate Kit (82215182AC), which I installed this past weekend along with a Warn Xeon 10-S

First, what makes it a "kit" is that it, along with the winch plate and assorted mounting hardware, Mopar provides two additional (approx) 2" crush cans that are attached on top of the existing crush cans and replacement crush can covers that are installed together with the winch plate. (Each crush can attaches with a pair of screws, using holes that you drill into the existing crush cans.)

These are not required for the winch to be mounted. They provide extra bumper protection because (with the fairlead) the vehicle now pushes out farther.

Here is the crush can cover before (passenger side). You can see it sticks out roughly 2 ¼"

OldCover.jpg

Now here is an "after" picture (driver side). You can see it now pushes out to a full 4 ½"
NewCover.jpg

Here is a front view:
Gladiator-Front.jpg

Overall, this seems like a decent upgrade to help protect the winch. But even with all the extra room, the combination of the "thick" (1.5) Factor 55 fairlead, and the F55 Flatlink, and the rope-guard still stick out just a little bit beyond the crush can covers. (I guess this configuration is kind of a "worst case scenario", if it was regular winch hook or didn't have the rope guard, or even maybe the thinner fairlead, it would likely be back in behind the crush can covers.)
WinchTop.jpg

The kit also includes a clear piece of vinyl to protect the very bottom of the grill. I installed this, but I'll admit that I didn't follow the super-complicated surface prep instructions. I just gave it a great cleaning with soap/water and then an adhesive remover and then put the vinyl on.

Overall, the winch plate wasn't too bad to install.

Notably, I did NOT have to oval out the holes on the skid plate. It went back on just as easily as it came off.

Probably the key to that was being super-careful that the "ears" on the winch plate that go onto the bumper bolts end up being perfectly flush and flat. This required a fair amount of inspection and adjustment, but it worked out.

As other videos (shout-out to Damon Bungard's great video) have described, with a Warn Xeon going into the factory bumper, it's super tight. And getting the 4 inboard bumper bolts on and torqued was very, very difficult. But it got done.

I had to switch from ½ drive to ⅜" drive sockets (because the ½" was just too bulky) and make a run to Harbor Freight to get an extra set of wobble extensions (so I had two of each length) and then use all sorts of combinations. I'm not a guru wrench turner, so having my sons as extra eyes and hands was needed.

One nit: Mopar doesn't include the nuts for the backs of the bolts where the winch panel cover used to go. From videos, I've gathered that Warn includes those in their kit.
Did you also install the Black Cushion Tape that came with the kit? I just put the vinyl on and am about to tackle putting the winch on, just wondering if anyone used the Black Cushion Tape on the winch to protect the grille a bit more or if it was not needed? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Did you also install the Black Cushion Tape that came with the kit? I just put the vinyl on and am about to tackle putting the winch on, just wondering if anyone used the Black Cushion Tape on the winch to protect the grille a bit more or if it was not needed? Thanks in advance.
I actually don't recall any black cushion tape in my version of the kit. I recall the clear vinyl to protect the grille. (And I installed that.)

And a quick driveway inspection didn't reveal any. The winch is super-snug against the grille. As in, even a little leaf gets stuck there. The cushion tape would probably be a reasonable idea to let a little daylight in there.

YMMV, as usual.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I actually don't recall any black cushion tape in my version of the kit. I recall the clear vinyl to protect the grille. (And I installed that.)

And a quick driveway inspection didn't reveal any. The winch is super-snug against the grille. As in, even a little leaf gets stuck there. The cushion tape would probably be a reasonable idea to let a little daylight in there.

YMMV, as usual.
I installed the clear vinyl piece earlier, in the package it had a 12" strip of cushion tape, I might go ahead and install it, I suppose it cant hurt. Thanks for looking and your reply.
Sponsored