First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
About 7-8 years ago, my wife bought a brand new Mini Cooper S (MCS) with a sunroof. (She now drives a BMW X2 which is essentially a MCS CUV and goes like the proverbial clappers). She had reception issues and the GPS would show her driving across fields and oceans and nowhere close to where she was actually at (in Houston at the time). The dealer had to pull the whole roof apart to find that they cable had been misrouted at the factory and the cable insulation had chafed and was grounding.

Sponsored

EasyWind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Another option for relocating your antenna is under the hood or plastic cowl. I lost some reception when I put on my roof rack and all the shit I put on top of it. I removed the antenna from the top of the sound bar and instead of dealing with the factory cable, I picked up one of these for 12 bucks:

wlaniot Fakra K Female to Male Pigtail Cable RG174 16.4ft Sirius Antenna Extension Cable Truck/RV XM Satellite Radio Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KYZ5FJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_GjvAFbFCMV7TC

I routed the new cable through the firewall and swapped out the connection on the back of the radio. The antenna I placed between a plastic hood scoop and the hood liner (Rubicon). Perfect reception and the factory wiring stays in place so it can be easily reversed should I find the need to.

For my setup, this was an easier option. Your mileage may vary.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Bump having just put on our Alu-Cab. It looks Like that is something we need to add to the list. Anything come up about doing this as far as options now? Looking at using the Maximus 3 Satellite Antenna Relocation Bracket.

Last edited:

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Self installed , Mopar part #. On stock roll bar location (topside, above sound bar). Premium Soft top. Mine works exceptional. I should look for the instructions because I thought I did see a short easier solution under the front dash. Maybe you hard top owners need that???

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Self installed , Mopar part #. On stock roll bar location (topside, above sound bar). Premium Soft top. Mine works exceptional. I should look for the instructions because I thought I did see a short easier solution under the front dash. Maybe you hard top owners need that???
The thing is the factory location is pretty much there if I am not missing something?? Looking at moving mine to above the front driver visor.

image.jpg

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong, that's the GPS that can go on the dash. This kit has GPS and Sat Radio antenna. Radio Antenna can go external.

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...atellite-radio-antenna?variant=11937743077412

Sponsored

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
I replaced the factory radio in my JKU with a Kenwood stereo a few years back. At first I tried the Jeep factory satellite antenna but the reception was spotty. I ended up putting the standard small puck style antenna under the dash, just above the gauge cluster. It worked well and was an easy install. Later while doing some other mods I moved it to the wiper cowl to see if it would work better. I didn’t notice any difference so I put it back under the dash a few months later. There are several on Amazon and elsewhere.

If you go this route, you will need the FAKRA adapter mentioned earlier. Together they would set you back about $35. Maybe get the dealership to look at it first?

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Wrong, that's the GPS that can go on the dash. This kit has GPS and Sat Radio antenna. Radio Antenna can go external.

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...atellite-radio-antenna?variant=11937743077412
Wrong or the other 5 things I have read where misinformed about the factory location of the GPS/Satellite Antenna?

I would not mind personally even having the possibility of designing and having fabricated a Antenna Box to mount on top of my Alucab canopy camper.

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a war of the “wrong” might be starting here for some reason. All I will add to my comment is I had both my GPS and Satellite antennas under my dash above the right half of my gage cluster for several years. There was even a nice flat spot for them to sit on in the JKU. Worked well for me. YMMV

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)

My issue is that I have a Camper right over the Middle Sports Bar. So receptions is terrible now. Given that from all available things I have seen put the stock antenna location about the middle rollbar, usually not an issue except when you have a roof rack or camper there. So two options for reception would be moving toward the front of the vehicle or relocating on top of the Camper top with my Cell phone booster antenna.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Seems like a war of the “wrong” might be starting here for some reason. All I will add to my comment is I had both my GPS and Satellite antennas under my dash above the right half of my gage cluster for several years. There was even a nice flat spot for them to sit on in the JKU. Worked well for me. YMMV
I just think its miscommunication. I have not replaced the radio, and having now a aluminum camper body on there blocking the signal. It something I need to work on to be able to have good functionality.
Sponsored