Sponsored

MPG going down?

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
Could be a lot of things… fuel quality issue (we don’t have it but there is winter fuel in some parts) ambient temperature changes, etc. If you have no other drivability concerns I wouldn’t worry too much about it as it should go back to normal. In our unusually hot summers I notice my mpgs drop slightly too.
I would add things like alignment, maybe need for new spark plugs, etc. Its likely something minor, not something major.
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
My vote for winter fuel.

Colder/denser air? Umm.....shouldn't that make more power? and offset the perceived added drag?
I mean just because he is driving in the armPitt doesn't mean his air is more dense. Not like a 10K foot elevation difference.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I drop a couple every winter also. Used to it. Happens with my FJ also. Then goes right back up after.

OP
OP

DRFaux

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon - White
So ... likely some winter gas inpacts ... however, after some investigation I'm gonna try two things ... 1) clean the MAF sensor (per Maximus Gladius, above) and 2) some SeaFoam fuel additive ... has anyone else had experience with the SeaFoam stuff? ... any thoughts/recommendations around this?

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I drive a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon with about 50K miles ... used to get 16-17 MPG (8-9 MPG when towing my 5000# trailer) ... recently I've noticed a sharp reduction ... in the last 2-3 months its gone down to 13-14 MPG (7 MPG when towing) ... no substantial change in driving habits, no change in tire pressure or engine components, no other changes come to mind that would affect MPG ... I did have a code pop up once or twice related to evap - tightened the gas cap and cleared with my Taser mini ... seems to run fine - no misses or rough engine ... any thoughts?
As others have said, winter gas will drop your mileage too. How many summer through winter seasons have you driven? I’ve driven a few but have taken special notice since the beginning of my last vehicle (2017 TRD Sport I had for 3 years) then my 2021 JTR bought in Feb 2021. My mileage always went down from October to April by a couple points.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
So ... likely some winter gas inpacts ... however, after some investigation I'm gonna try two things ... 1) clean the MAF sensor (per Maximus Gladius, above) and 2) some SeaFoam fuel additive ... has anyone else had experience with the SeaFoam stuff? ... any thoughts/recommendations around this?
I’ve also tried sea foam in the gas and I can’t say anything other than a can costs $15cad each up here and if I’m not mistaken, you’ll drop in 2-3 cans for a tank treatment. Did I see improvements after burning off $45cad worth of sea foam in one tank?? NO. Sea Foam thanked me though.

OP
OP

DRFaux

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As others have said, winter gas will drop your mileage too. How many summer through winter seasons have you driven? I’ve driven a few but have taken special notice since the beginning of my last vehicle (2017 TRD Sport I had for 3 years) then my 2021 JTR bought in Feb 2021. My mileage always went down from October to April by a couple points.
This is my 2nd winter ... didn't notice it last year ... I tow the trailer often in both winter and summer ...

OP
OP

DRFaux

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How’s your blow by? If you were to run your engine (engine warm/hot) then as it’s running, pull off your oil cap, is there a flow of air shooting out the hole? Is it just air? Small steady amount?.. large amount like your hair dryer on high or maybe non at all? (Non at all is best)

If you’ve got air blowing out the oil cap hole then you’d have air blowing through the PCV back into the intake tube/manifold. The air will also take with it oil in a mist form, micro droplets passing through the intake system which will also, by that action, coat the MAF (mass air flow)!sensor which is important for correctly reading oxygen intake then communicate that with the fuel delivery and I think the oxygen sensors also play a part somehow ….but anyway, if the MAF sensor is coated in oil, it can’t communicate the oxygen and it’s role in your efficient running engine, (like it used to be) is compromised and mileage will decrease.

If you’ve never cleaned it, it needs to be taken out and sprayed down with MAF cleaner. Your engine fuel burning system will thank you.
Dear Maximus Gladius (Kevin) ... been a few weeks and I'm finally getting 'round to checking/cleaning the MAF sensor (2020 Gladiator Rubicon) ... however, 1) I've been unable to find anything on the internet showing how to clean it (found some generic videos on the topic, but nothing specific to the Gladiator) and, 2) can't find parts stores that even offer a replacement MAF Sensor for Gladiator ... is it possible that the Gladiator does NOT have such a sensor? ... must be something with similar functionality on the Gladiator 0 if so, what/where is it? Thanks (in advance) for the help/advice. Cheers! -Dan

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No need for snake oil. Use top tier gas, keep filters clean, keep tires inflated (yeah, that means add air in the winter - this bit about letting the tire pressure drop in the winter is a bad thing)
If your tires should be at 33, and they drop to 28 in the winter, air them back up to 33.
Cold air making engines run better is mostly an old-school engine bit. These compensate for air temperature and atmospheric pressure and more. You won't see the same gains unless you race it.
And yeah there is more drag to denser heavier air. These are flat-sided bricks.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Dear Maximus Gladius (Kevin) ... been a few weeks and I'm finally getting 'round to checking/cleaning the MAF sensor (2020 Gladiator Rubicon) ... however, 1) I've been unable to find anything on the internet showing how to clean it (found some generic videos on the topic, but nothing specific to the Gladiator) and, 2) can't find parts stores that even offer a replacement MAF Sensor for Gladiator ... is it possible that the Gladiator does NOT have such a sensor? ... must be something with similar functionality on the Gladiator 0 if so, what/where is it? Thanks (in advance) for the help/advice. Cheers! -Dan
Your 2020 should have one. I have the 2021 JTR and the photos show where it is. The cleaner is a spray and you should only use Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner. Don’t touch the sensor prongs, just give them a good spray and that’ll clean them. Have a good look at the prongs before and after.

After you’ve unplug the gizzmo, get a small pair of plyers and turn counter clockwise a 1/4 turn till it stops then pull straight out. Super easy.

1092D5C0-54E3-4E15-A5A8-0854F0743CC9.jpeg

38505F10-CB1E-431E-AFD2-3F6113AEC3D7.jpeg

EB6AC419-F53F-4914-A06F-7E2589BB2C54.jpeg

E2FF1B42-9CAE-461E-A430-C7538270905A.jpeg

B8D711E9-D4D7-4822-A49C-7F1687683698.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Talk about super helpful! Nicely done.

OP
OP

DRFaux

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never mind .... found it ... thanks all ... cleaned it a bit ago, though it didn't appear dirty at all ... I'll track the MPG over the next several days Cheers!
Sponsored