First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
My trip to go tour the Battleship Texas finally happened. A dry dock tour with hands right on the hull of the ship. It will never happen again in my lifetime. What a great weekend. And of course I'm taking the JT. Made my first ride through Sam Houston forest on the way down. I've been keeping it spotless clean and we found a little mud and I had to get me some. I don't think I got it dirty, I think I just added a little traveling bling for this trip. Then we had more time to kill so we stoped by a bike shop we like and my brother walked out with a nice Dyna. Technically we'l run back down there Saturday and get it, but I didn't expect that. Then I was Galveston and beach time. We headed down to the San Luis Pass area, in the park right below the bridge for some lightweight trail/roads going everywhere riding. It was a good time rolling over all the humps bumps and hills. Then the next morning to visit The Texas with the sun rising over her. All together it made a really great weekend trip.

Sunrise.jpeg

ShipFront.jpeg

Mud1.jpeg

Lean.jpeg

Bike1.jpeg

BeachTrail1.jpeg

BeachSun1.jpeg

BeachNoSun.jpeg

BeachBridge.jpeg

Bike2.jpeg

Mud2.jpeg
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Pretty cool Battleship. I love getting up close and seeing the power that these ships wielded. Can't imagine what it must have been like being onboard when those big guns fired.

We have the Battleship Massachusetts near me. You can arrange overnight sleepovers and I did that as a Boy scout . Pretty sweet.

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I don't know how many pics I took. I just took as many as possible with a digital camera till it ran the new batteries dry, then switched to the phone.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
Pretty cool Battleship. I love getting up close and seeing the power that these ships wielded. Can't imagine what it must have been like being onboard when those big guns fired.

We have the Battleship Massachusetts near me. You can arrange overnight sleepovers and I did that as a Boy scout . Pretty sweet.
Our Scout troop did the tour on the USS Alabama. Good trips we had back then.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara

My kids love going down to Battleship Cove in Fall River and climbing around on the ships and inside the sub!

Sponsored

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
there is a great restaurant right by the battleship called Monument Inn! It's a must go when visiting that area!
and your trip sounded amazing...love the pics too

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Sounds like a great trip! Awesome that your brother took home a dyna too!
@legacy_etu I was stationed onboard the USS New Jersey my first couple years in the Navy and it is indeed amazing when the big guns fire. Each round is propelled by 660 pounds of powder so that may give you an indication of the amount of noise and flame from the barrel. There are a few YT videos of the guns firing but this pic gives a pretty good idea.
D60A2360-D59D-4B57-B942-E201B017BB7E.jpeg

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Sounds like a great trip! Awesome that your brother took home a dyna too!
@legacy_etu I was stationed onboard the USS New Jersey my first couple years in the Navy and it is indeed amazing when the big guns fire. Each round is propelled by 660 pounds of powder so that may give you an indication of the amount of noise and flame from the barrel. There are a few YT videos of the guns firing but this pic gives a pretty good idea.
D60A2360-D59D-4B57-B942-E201B017BB7E.jpeg
Niiice pic. Yeah, I’m amazed at the size of those guns. The commotion when those suckers fire just has to be immense.

Thanks for your service sir. Where did your tours take you.

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
@ TheOpa

Have you watched the youtube channel on the New jersey? The guy that does it does a really good job and he's always seeking information from someone the really knows the ship. Especially someone that was actually on the ship

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
@ TheOpa

Have you watched the youtube channel on the New jersey? The guy that does it does a really good job and he's always seeking information from someone the really knows the ship. Especially someone that was actually on the ship
I haven’t seen it but I’ll check it out, thanks for the tip!

Sponsored

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Niiice pic. Yeah, I’m amazed at the size of those guns. The commotion when those suckers fire just has to be immense.

Thanks for your service sir. Where did your tours take you.
While on the NJ I went everywhere from the Arctic circle above Alaska to Thailand. We were also the lead ship in a battle group that sailed directly into the Sea of Okhotsk when Reagan wanted to send a message to Gorbachev. I believe we are still the only American war ships to ever go there. We got a lot of attention from the Russian military that day. 😎

Dust

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
UPS Feeder Driver
My step father took some great pictures of the New Jersey firing broad side into the hills around Beirut Lebanon back in 1983 when they blew up the Marines barracks. Said it was the most incredible sight and sound he had ever seen and heard. She resides 20 mins south of me now, small world!

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
My step father took some great pictures of the New Jersey firing broad side into the hills around Beirut Lebanon back in 1983 when they blew up the Marines barracks. Said it was the most incredible sight and sound he had ever seen and heard. She resides 20 mins south of me now, small world!
A few of my high school friends were Marines and were there in Beirut. They had some great eye witness stories of the 3500 pound projectiles flying by overhead on their way to erase those hills. Small world indeed!
We had a similar experience in the South Pacific. There was an Army Ranger unit in Laos that was pinned down by some hostile folks up in the hills above them. A long day of NGFS later and even the hills were gone. Just get up, walk out, and go home to hug your family.

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
I just realized we totally hijacked this thread. Apologies for that @charliez .

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Hike away. No apologies necessary. It's a conversation. Conversations do that. I used my sunny day of yesterday to take the doors and front tops off the jeep, Like I would like to do on a beach. Made a drive to grab a Dr pepper shale at Whataburger. That jeep is one really cool vehicle.

Jeep Gladiator Mud, bikes, beach and a Battleship Off

Jeep Gladiator Mud, bikes, beach and a Battleship DrPepper
Sponsored