Sponsored

Mud Flaps, grill guards, rocker panels, 3M, other options to help avoid rock chips

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
My Gladiator Willys should show up in the next week. I've already been ordering everything under the sun to make it the way I want. The last Jeep I owned was a Scrambler back in the 90's. I know a lot has changed, but I don't know what all has been tested and approved by the "community".

I really would like to make this one last 30+ years. Hopefully, the ecoDiesel will survive and fuel will still be available for purchase then. I know that in the first few years (or more for some) we all desire to preserve the nice, new, beautiful look of a new Jeep. Then, after some scrapes, dings, dents, we can say the heck with it all and let it age gracefully into a well-loved rugged looking rig. Maybe a new coat of paint many years down the line to breathe new life into it. Some are anal about this. Others take it off and dent it the first week. I'm somewhere in between.

I'm now getting to point of paint protection purchases. Got some hinge guards. I've decided that spending money to protect the windshield is kinda pointless as some of those films cost half the price of a new windshield and don't last all that long anyway. I'm going to build my own protective netting shield to attach to a new front bumper while towing behind a motorhome, but the rest of the time, I would like to do my best to not have to spend an hour every week touching up rock chips everywhere.

Everyone has an opinion and what they like. I would really like to get perspectives from people that have tried different protection methods over the years and can better compare and contrast the different options.... which one did better than the other. Was it worth it? How long did it last?

My main items to consider right now:
1) mud flaps (which ones?) vs rocker panel films (I have AMP Powerstep waiting to be attached)
2) front grill? fenders? protective film or no? Other options? Just paint?
3) touch up paint on a regular basis instead of any of these? Any other area that gets abused on the road that I should consider protecting?

Thanks in advance to everyone. I really appreciate the experience being shared here. Help me make purchases with more confidence.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
RokBlokz are the largest mudflaps you can get. If you're going to go with larger tires then get the XL longs. These will be your front line defense.

Rock sliders will help, but not as much as the RokBlokz.

I can't speak for the 3M protection, I haven't needed it yet. Between my WeatherTech mudflaps and Rock Hard sliders I have had no issues. The only time things get thrown up are when I'm turning and the roads are wet.

I am running 35"x12.50" tires.

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I decided right from the start that the Gladiator is going to get scratched, dinged and show the effects of many offroad adventures. I have to tell you its just liberating to not worry about such cosmetic things like pinstripes and paint chips especially when enjoying the Gladiator in what should be its natural environment the great outdoors and not the mall :) I have the luxury of not using it as my DD so its roof off, doors off and days off pretty much 95% of the time.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I decided right from the start that the Gladiator is going to get scratched, dinged and show the effects of many offroad adventures.
I can appreciate that. I don't have a daily drive at all, but I do consider longevity and potential resale (if that ever becomes necessary or desired). If I didn't care about rusting through and didn't care about ever getting any money back if circumstances change, I would probably be with you. For now, at least, I would like to get some input from folks that want to protect it as long as possible. I'm going to be on trails as much as possible, but not crawling rocks or bushwhacking.
Sponsored