First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
Hi, this may have been covered before, but I couldn't find anything on it. My 2020 JTR keeps needing to be jump-started. I had the battery and the alternator checked, they are both fine. It used to be infrequent, but now it's happening every day. It's not like a regular dead battery, it doesn't click, it just won't do anything, but If I jump it, it starts right up. Has anyone else had this problem? What's the solution?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee did this - the dealer replaced BOTH batteries.
Who tested your system and batteries?
Don't go to a parts store - their simple instruments can't do much.
If the aux battery has a problem it can drain the main battery causing you to have to jump it, yet if only the main battery is checked it will seem fine. However, eventually it will also end up bad.
That's what seemingly happened to my wife's WK2.

Let a dealer check it if you didn't already do that.
Having worked in auto electric for decades, parts stores checking things scares me so that's always the first thing I ask - WHO checked it. That matters. They aren't trained mechanics and have only the most simple equipment.
These are also different battery technology and "smart" alternators so old-school may not work well as far as testing.

Anyway, your situation sounds exactly like that of our 2018 WK2. Both batteries tested bad by the dealership.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Take it to the dealership, it'll get covered under warranty. Gladiators have two batteries, and especially with the smaller one, there have been quality issues out of Mexico. When the small battery starts to fail, it constantly drains the big battery, prematurely aging it.

The dealership will probably only want to replace one battery (the smaller one usually). If they do that, you'll be back in within 90 days for the other to be swapped, and then probably in a third time to get them both changed out at once. It has happened to quite a few of the Launch Edition guys (self included).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to the dealership, it'll get covered under warranty. Gladiators have two batteries, and especially with the smaller one, there have been quality issues out of Mexico. When the small battery starts to fail, it constantly drains the big battery, prematurely aging it.

The dealership will probably only want to replace one battery (the smaller one usually). If they do that, you'll be back in within 90 days for the other to be swapped, and then probably in a third time to get them both changed out at once. It has happened to quite a few of the Launch Edition guys (self included).
Yup - generally the aux battery down below is the first to go........... our WK2 main battery used to hold a charge for a day or two, then it got to the point that I'd charge it - disconnect the charger, and watch my FLUKE meter slowly drop in voltage reading.

Service writer told us bluntly when we picked up my wife's '18 WK2 (which we traded at another dealership for a 2021) "we've seen a lot of bad batteries lately".
Sponsored