Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor, a big guy in Good Guys, street rods (he builds them as well for others) a couple of years back started having a regular Tuesday AM coffee get-together of old car guys. Mostly those into street rods, modifieds, and really old stuff (a couple are into a really old early Jeeps and showed pictures today). It got to be a bit much him hosting it every week so he asked if others were interested in taking turns.
I got pulled into the Tuesday coffees a few months ago and then asked if I'd sign up on the list to participate in hosting. It was supposed to be late April but another guy asked to swap weeks because of a conflict.
Yikes, that means cleaning the shop - something I've only ever done once or twice in over a decade - and move out a couple of cars (both with transmission leaks that left big problems on the floor)
Shop is cluttered and crowed, more like a storage locker. Upstairs, it was hard to walk without crunching on months of dead flies that find their way in and die each fall and winter.
Days of moving things around, cleaning up, vacuuming (and emptying the vacuums twice) sweeping and mopping (6 buckets of mop water with degreaser on the lower level floor- and that only took care of half of the floor where the "junk" isn't sitting (multiple engines, rod home, boring bar and more)

Some brought their own chairs, I think in the end it was at least 16 guys - Gene said it was a good turnout.
And - I got a guy interested in buying my boring bar - and maybe swapping some work for his help in restoring my 7HP RARE Chapman engine.

When yo talk Jeep with these guys - it's the 1940s stuff. One has one like in the ads I've posted with PTO and all that his father used on the farm.

Jeep Gladiator My turn for Tuesday coffee PXL_20240326_115627432

Jeep Gladiator My turn for Tuesday coffee PXL_20240326_115632894
Sponsored

ZeeJay

First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9 Limited ZJ, 96 4.0 Laredo ZJ, 23 JT Willys
Occupation
Diesel Tech
That would be an awesome room to be in. I’m 45 but still value the old guys….maybe not erbody was an old hand but no doubt some were.
I did my apprenticeship for diesel with some old cats that worked on old pre cup Cats and 220 Cummins. Stuff I’ve never even seen. I learned my best archery lessons form the old hands moons ago

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I feel your pain on cleaning and getting ready. I host Z car meet every Labor Day weekend at the house for the past 6 years.

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
Took me a long time to find an "age appropriate" place for happy hour :) but now have a close group of friends. Nothing like your coffee group though and I am a bit jealous.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of the younger ones in the group, at 67. 3 or 4 are using canes, but don't under-estimate their cars.
Supposedly, one of the major car magazines said this area was the highest concentration of classics and street rods anywhere. 4 or 5 of the group drove less than 5 miles to get here. Gene said that he had an appointment on Monday with the county to get two more cars titled. Don is restoring an early REO engine for a guy - a massive engine, the pistons costing 2K for a set of 4.

Now - to put my shop sort of back together so maybe I can get a few things done. Gotta push a car back in and put a lot of cardboard under it, and put a new piece under my Javelin to absorb the transmission fluid it likes to leak.

Sponsored

DarthAWM

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Oilfield Service
Are the kitty litter pails for the smokers?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are the kitty litter pails for the smokers?
Coffee tables - place to set coffee and plates with donuts.
We only had a couple of folding trays to put between chairs so I used the empty apple picking buckets (formerly cat litter buckets) to serve as coffee tables.
Neighbor, Gene, who started all of this way back loaned me his chairs (I didn't have enough of my own) - those consisted of 7 folding chairs (some seen in the pictures) and two stacks of what we refer to as "bucket seats" - and Gene even had them labeled as "bucket seats".

Since my shop is on the edge of a heavily wooded area, any other needs are taken care of by a short walk, assuming you avoid the wild roses, thickets, wild locust trees and so on.........
If necessary, there are corn cobs in the adjoining field.

joseeph

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I'm one of the younger ones in the group, at 67. 3 or 4 are using canes, but don't under-estimate their cars.
Supposedly, one of the major car magazines said this area was the highest concentration of classics and street rods anywhere. 4 or 5 of the group drove less than 5 miles to get here. Gene said that he had an appointment on Monday with the county to get two more cars titled. Don is restoring an early REO engine for a guy - a massive engine, the pistons costing 2K for a set of 4.

Now - to put my shop sort of back together so maybe I can get a few things done. Gotta push a car back in and put a lot of cardboard under it, and put a new piece under my Javelin to absorb the transmission fluid it likes to leak.
It's truly fascinating to hear about the camaraderie and passion for classic cars among your group. Age is just a number when it comes to shared interests and the joy of restoration projects. The dedication and stories shared within your community highlight the timeless appeal of these automotive treasures. Wishing you all many more enjoyable gatherings and successful projects ahead, @ShadowsPapa!
Sponsored