DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
So sorry to hear about you Mom.

I'd personally seek someplace warm, like maybe a beach where you can camp and hear the waves rolling in all night.
Sponsored

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
My sympathy on your loss. I hope you find the peace you're looking for. The road will take where you need to be without you even realizing it.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
My sincere condolences. I lost my mom the first week of Jan 2020, so I just got through all of the ”firsts” a few months ago. We have a cabin in North Central FL just off of I-10 (I am sitting at the cabin as I type this). IMO, this area is an amazing place to decompress- lots of camping, about an hour from the coast and/or gulf, it’s cooler, and less humid than Tampa. The ocean also has a language of it’s own when it comes to clearing your mind. I say pick a general direction and take the scenic route. Maybe target somewhere that was meaningful to your mom, take her memory somewhere she never got to go and may have always wanted to, or just see where the road takes you. Wherever you pick, it’ll be the right place. Safe travels, my friend.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I am sorry for your loss. I think being outside helps with grief - at least for me.

Here is a very peaceful spot on the Superior Hiking Trail that you can easily get to - about a 3 hr hike round trip starting from the Silver Bay trailhead in Silver Bay MN which is north of Duluth along Lake Superior.

Map below shows the route you in. You can make the loop back on the way out or back track. Route 61 north of Duluth runs along the lakeshore and it is dotted with small towns like Two Harbors, Grand Marais and Grand Portage. You have Lake Superior on one side and the BWCA, Superior Hiking Trail and a couple of State Parks right there. It is beautiful in the fall - especially Mid September through October when the leaves turn. In the summer it is pretty cool too - lake keeps the temps down. Inland gets buggy during the summer so the cooler temps are pretty nice.

The first pic is my daughter at the overlook last weekend. The circled spot at the top of the map is where I took the picture. Pic with me is same spot - but not as good a photo. And yes that is snow about 1 inch last Saturday morning. Plus there are a lot of birch trees with new seasonal bark - very beautiful. We camped at the Penn Creek campsite you see on the map. Sunday morning was cold but sunnier. I will post a photo in the next posting below.
Jeep Gladiator Lost my My Mother 20210424_132339

Jeep Gladiator Lost my My Mother 20210424_131750

Jeep Gladiator Lost my My Mother 1619707931480

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have to agree with @cuellar13. Make it a trip in honor of your moms memory and it will help the grieving and closure. Is there any place your mom had talked of seeing but never did? Go there and see it for her.

we used to vacation every summer when I was a kid, went lots of different places, but my mom had mentioned a few times wanting to see Yellowstone with all the animals and geysers. I lost my mom many years ago but last year finally had the means to take a trip out west to Yellowstone and couldn’t help but think as I was taking in the sights about how much she would have loved it. (If you go there, make sure to check out Lamar pass in the northwest corner. There’s a herd of HUNDREDS of bison that have no problem walking along the road between vehicles fogging up your mirrors with their breath.)

WHEREVER you go, make it in honor of and bring the memories and spirit and you’re sure to find peace and closure.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Photo from our campsite and on our hike out on Sunday morning. I know Minnesota is a long way from basically everyone but this is one of the coolest spots in the state and easy to get to...
Jeep Gladiator Lost my My Mother 20210424_173821
Jeep Gladiator Lost my My Mother 20210425_074458

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
So sorry for your loss. I lost my own mother to cancer coming up on two years ago and it's still hard. She was a gardener and beekeeper and I often take a photo and still for a half second think I will send it to her. Loss lingers for so long. She's entirely the reason I'm on this forum and have my Jeep too. I'd wanted a Wrangler since I was a kid and had driven my Chevy pickup for 21 years. She told me to buy a new Jeep when I sold her house because she'd always wanted a new BMW but never let herself have one and on her death bed realized she wouldn't have regretted it one bit.

There are no words to say in times like this. Losing a great Mom is far and away the hardest thing I've ever gone through. No one loves you and knows you like your mother. Outside of losing a child I can't think of anything tougher. There are no words anyone can say that really help. Because there is no helping; only time. A hospice chaplain did say some words of advice that I'm glad I heeded though. "Don't make any major life decisions in the next year while you are still so emotional." I had thoughts of closing my store and finding new work, all kinds of things and I'm glad I waited before making a decision I couldn't undo. Wishing you peace and the kind of life that would have made you mother happy.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry for your loss. I lost my own mother to cancer coming up on two years ago and it's still hard. She was a gardener and beekeeper and I often take a photo and still for a half second think I will send it to her. Loss lingers for so long. She's entirely the reason I'm on this forum and have my Jeep too. I'd wanted a Wrangler since I was a kid and had driven my Chevy pickup for 21 years. She told me to buy a new Jeep when I sold her house because she'd always wanted a new BMW but never let herself have one and on her death bed realized she wouldn't have regretted it one bit.

There are no words to say in times like this. Losing a great Mom is far and away the hardest thing I've ever gone through. No one loves you and knows you like your mother. Outside of losing a child I can't think of anything tougher. There are no words anyone can say that really help. Because there is no helping; only time. A hospice chaplain did say some words of advice that I'm glad I heeded though. "Don't make any major life decisions in the next year while you are still so emotional." I had thoughts of closing my store and finding new work, all kinds of things and I'm glad I waited before making a decision I couldn't undo. Wishing you peace and the kind of life that would have made you mother happy.
I get it. I kinda feel like the feather in Forest Gump and I’m going to where the wind blows me. She’s wanted me to live, so that’s the plan.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Photo from our campsite and on our hike out on Sunday morning. I know Minnesota is a long way from basically everyone but this is one of the coolest spots in the state and easy to get to...
Looks very nice. Peaceful thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry, man.

My personnel recommendations for camping below (based on personal experience) for some spectacular and humbling scenery for reflection and grace. (And you have the rig for it now.). They have provided our family grounding and peace.

Glacier NP, MT
Yosemite NP, CA
Zion, Bryce, Arches NP, UT
Lassen NP, CA

Good travels, friend.
Headed to Zion, Bryce thank you for the suggestions.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
John,
Your handle says it all on what you may want to do. I spent mid 2018-mid 2020 living out of an RV and continuing to work on my quest to go to the highest point in each state. I've got 34 of them so far. My two recommendations if you're just going to do it with your Gladiator:

1. Never get on an Interstate. In the summer of '15 I started at Key West and did 8,000 miles on my Harley getting the Southern states high points and to the border of California/Mexico. Then went North up to Canada before traversing the Northern states before cutting the angle back down to FL after bagging Eagle Mountain in Minnesota. Bottom line is only 300 miles were on an Interstate and those were at major cities I had to go to so I could visit friends. Hell I did over 300 miles on gravel roads. I also limited myself to about 250-300 miles a day so I could really take my time and hit the unexpected different attractions we always drive by because we're in a hurry.

2. If you feel comfortable in a certain area then stop and enjoy it for as long as you want. I spent more than a month in Summit County Colorado after bagging Mount Elbert. Totally agree with CO being one of the best places to find yourself and peace. Also spent an unexpected extra amount of time in the redwood forests of Northern California and Southern Oregon.

Have a great trip regardless of what you decide to do.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Very sorry for your loss and this is one of the toughest, loosing your Mother.

I don’t know the pain yet as my Mother is still with us.

I can only recommend lots of prayer. Journaling, reading, spending time with your family. I think those things will help me when that time comes.

Bless your family, and bless you Brother.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My condolences to you.

I highly recommend visiting the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western Kentucky. There is so much to do and so much to see. Even has Jeep offroad trails. But...my favorite is that you can camp along the shore of Kentucky Lake and all you will see is water, evergreens, and hardwoods. It's peaceful and beautiful.
Sponsored