Sponsored

Neat small features from Detroit auto show

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Not sure exactly where to post this so feel free to move to correct location.

went to the Detroit auto show on Saturday and got to poke around the gladiator and noticed a few small things that I have I have not heard talked about yet.

First, a locking gas cap! I know that for auto shows precautions are taken to "people proof" vehicles but while other vehicles just had tape over the gas fill the jeep gladiator had a locking gas cap on both Overland and Rubicon model.
upload_2019-1-21_8-27-57.png

Second was the front trail cam. I've heard people say it has it but have not seen any pics. so here is what you get when you click the button. The picture is just as clear as the JL back up camera, the picture is washed out due to bright auto show lights. and yes the lines do move when you turn the wheel. Note that this is NOT in the offroad pages.
upload_2019-1-21_8-29-59.png

Tire pressure screen. looks adjustable front to rear and can save pre-sets so you could have a "street" and "trail" setting. Also note that this is NOT in the offroad pages.
upload_2019-1-21_8-34-29.png

Just for fun. Toyota is showing that the Tacoma can only haul one dirt bike to the gladiators 2, so keep that in mind if you are on the fence! lol
upload_2019-1-21_8-36-30.png
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
C206C6E0-CF33-4685-AAD1-823A96216188.jpeg
1BB9513D-472A-436C-921F-A9C3FBCDE794.jpeg
On the Sport and Sport S models they are non-locking teathered caps. On one video I saw someone open up the gas door and on the inside bottom of the door it looked like you could put the cap in a semi-circular area of the door. And it kinda looks like that may be the case in the picture that you posted. See attached cropped picture from your post.

I also noticed something of interest in your picture. Again on the inside of the door it looks like you may be able to hang the cap from a hook at the top of the door. Kinda like a coat hanger hook in cars. Again see attached cropped picture from your post.

I saw a $50,000 Jeep with a teathered gas cap and you could not hang the gas cap from such a hook and you also could not put the cap inside the door. Instead the gas cap has to dangle down from the teather and possibly scratch the paint below every time you gas up, really unbelievable. If that was my Jeep then I would have cut the teather off the minute I bought it. Looks like Jeep may have fixed this simple problem.

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
I to was at the Detroit auto show.

FYI. The tire pressure setting page are presets as you mention. When you air down or up the horn honks indicating you have met the PSI at the preset you picked. COOL!!

Also, I don’t have a pic but the rear seats fold down and there is storage behind. Okay we know that. BUt, the rear seats also have a key lock located by the headrest so you cant fold the seat down, protecting your valuables that may have been placed behind the seat.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
FD476F6B-A5F6-4584-BA9F-7236AD4BBF00.jpeg
I wonder about that lock. I know that it locks the seat back when its in the vertical position. That way no one can get to things stowed behind the seat.

But I wonder if that lock also locks the seat backs down when the seat backs are in the horizontal position like in this picture. Does anyone know about this? Love to know. Thanks

OP
OP
Malarkey21

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder about that lock. I know that it locks the seat back when its in the vertical position. That way no one can get to things stowed behind the seat.

But I wonder if that lock also locks the seat backs down when the seat backs are in the horizontal position like in this picture. Does anyone know about this? Love to know. Thanks
Im going to guess that they will not lock down like that. the locking feature just keeps the latch from actuating.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
For certain I will check this out once they get onto dealers lots. Hopefully a member here will check into it at a show before they get onto dealers lots. Thanks in advance to anyone who can check this at a show.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

For what reason are you hoping for this feature? I have given it a small amount of thought and I can't come up with a benefit.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
If you get a Sport model then you can’t get the trail rail system. And as you know the trail rail system comes with a locking cover for the rifle box that is under the back seat. So it would be great if you could just fold down and lock the rear seat backs in the horizontal position so rifles could then be locked and secure under the back seat. Or whatever else you want to put into the rifle case!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Malarkey21

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you get a Sport model then you can’t get the trail rail system. And as you know the trail rail system comes with a locking cover for the rifle box that is under the back seat. So it would be great if you could just fold down and lock the rear seat backs in the horizontal position so rifles could then be locked and secure under the back seat. Or whatever else you want to put into the rifle case!!!
Could be wrong here, but I want to say I remember someone saying you can buy the locks from Mopar for the box too.

If I am wrong, Hey FCA! sell the locks aftermarket from Mopar! haha

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
For certain I will try to buy the cover with the locks from a Jeep dealership parts department if the seat backs do not lock when in the horizontal position. But if they lock in the horizontal position then really no need for the covers with locks.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Can the tail gate be locked?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Yes, power locks even. Unless you have a Sport, then it is manual.
Do you know if it unlocks with the power lock button four the doors? If the top is off can someone unlock the tailgate from the door unlock button? Assuming you have a hard bed cover or cap you could lock stuff in the bed. But if it unlocks with the door button then that wouldn’t work.
Sponsored