Need some guidance on lower control arms

Number1olddog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, YJ, Renegade
I recently installed a lift with a 2" front teraflex coil spring and 1" teraflex spacer. I added JKS front adjustable lower control arms I set at 24 5/16 eye to eye and installed. The jeep drives straight for the most part but pulls a little right going down the highway when I let loose of the wheel. I got an alignment and was told I had too much caster. If I bring the control arms back in I will be at 24" eye to eye by one full turn. Does this seem right?

Jeep Gladiator Need some guidance on lower control arms 20210804_161903
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I think you’re about where you need to be. Jeeps do track with the crown of the road. That said, 1 turn isn’t going to move you 5/16” if you want to bring it back a little. I’m running my lower arms at 24-3/8” with 3” of front lift.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
It's just more than factory which isn't really a bad thing. You do have different side to side measurement which can cause a pull, but it's pretty small difference

If you're motivated enough to change the control arm length you can try adjusting just one side a little at a time and see if you can dial it out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can't adjust caster on just one side. Doing so would mean twisting the axle......
Anything that pulls back on the bottom of one side will cause the bottom of the other side to twist back as well.
Take a cardboard tube and just try to turn one end and not the other.

Once the caster split is set, it's set.
Too much caster won't cause a pull. Road crown causes pull, tires cause pull, unequal pressure causes pull, uneven caster can cause pull, uneven camber can cause pull - but you can't change camber without changing out parts.

As far as JT alignments-
You can set toe

You can set caster - with different control arms (length or adjustable) but what you do to one side happens on the other side.
But you can't change one side .4 degrees and not change the other side.

You can't set camber unless you change parts - ball joints, for example.

You can re-center the axle under the truck after a lift.

I'd not be concerned about 6 to 6.5 or so - there's other Jeeps with 7 as the caster norm.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Yeah, duh. We were talking about a solid axle. I've been away from Jeeps for too long.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - yeah, even 2 years is too long. Traded my Comanche for a Cherokee Sport in the early 90s, then ran out of money and the next vehicle we went cheap and got a Stratus. After a couple of years of that, back to Jeeps we went. It's been Jeep since then.

Wasn't "aiming" at anyone - just often put out things for lurkers trying to gather information. Thousands of people hit this forum - who are not members - looking for information.
(as a part owner and admin of another car forum, I get to monitor the traffic - amazing the people who search, find us, read a bit and leave - if it's bad info, that's what they leave with and repeat it. Google is always there with multiple bots. I can make a post and 5 minutes later find it in a google search)

Anywho - my own JT has a "lead" or "pull" if you want to call it that, to the low side of the road if there's any tilt or crown.
Most secondary highways here have road crown. Here it's a must because of the heavy rains we get, or the snow and ice melt - it's directed to the side of the road via crown. Even some interstates are that way.
If I move to the left lane to pass or because I'm faster than prevailing traffic - I note a slight lead to the left. Moving back to the right, it's a slight lead to the right again. On a perfectly flat road, it tracks straight.

What's all that got to do with the OP? - we don't know their roads, we can't test drive it. What some may say is a "pull" is a simple slight lead to the road crown.
On these, even a 10 mph wind can make them feel like there's a pull. (and it's almost always windy here)
Sponsored