First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just ran the southern part of the Nevada Backcountry Discovery Route in March with friends from California, Colorado and Nevada. I took my Wrangler, which is better set up for overlanding than my Gladiator, but the friend from Nevada did have a Gladiator on the trip. The teaser video is now online. More will be released over the next few weeks ...

Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Very cool. Might have to look into that. I love living in Nevada.

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
All videos are now online. Here is the playlist. Note that ads are now forced on my channel by Google. Please feel guilt-free to hit the skip button when it appears. I make no money off the videos ...

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
All videos are now online. Here is the playlist. Note that ads are now forced on my channel by Google. Please feel guilt-free to hit the skip button when it appears. I make no money off the videos ...

I am also doing those BD routes - it keeps my wife calm knowing the trails are not rated extreme.
:)

It's nice to see other Jeepers using them too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am also doing those BD routes - it keeps my wife calm knowing the trails are not rated extreme.
:)

It's nice to see other Jeepers using them too!
Starting at 18:51 through 24:32 on the day 4 video, much of the trail is washed out. I'm not sure what your wife's tolerance is, but you might want to listen to my studio chat about this section of the video. That is on the day 5 video. I recommend listening to it starting at 29:15 where I talk about tire pressure, then transition to that section on day 4. Below is the map I show during that talk. If you locate this with the NVBDR file open on Google Earth and annotate it, you can decide whether you want to take the obvious bypass or the actual route. It was fun, but rain and snowmelt will only make it worse, and I doubt anyone will ever be up there to repair it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if BLM places road closed signs on it.

Yellow is the original NVBDR .gpx file. Red is what we drove. The red spur is where we were looking for a campsite (without success).
Jeep Gladiator Nevada Backcountry Discovery Route NVBDR Google Earth Image, Day 4 Rough Spot

A final note: This is the second BDR I've driven. The first was years ago, the WABDR. Here is the teaser for that, if you're interested ...

Sponsored

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Starting at 18:51 through 24:32 on the day 4 video, much of the trail is washed out. I'm not sure what your wife's tolerance is, but you might want to listen to my studio chat about this section of the video. That is on the day 5 video. I recommend listening to it starting at 29:15 where I talk about tire pressure, then transition to that section on day 4. Below is the map I show during that talk. If you locate this with the NVBDR file open on Google Earth and annotate it, you can decide whether you want to take the obvious bypass or the actual route. It was fun, but rain and snowmelt will only make it worse, and I doubt anyone will ever be up there to repair it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if BLM places road closed signs on it.

Yellow is the original NVBDR .gpx file. Red is what we drove. The red spur is where we were looking for a campsite (without success).
Jeep Gladiator Nevada Backcountry Discovery Route NVBDR Google Earth Image, Day 4 Rough Spot

A final note: This is the second BDR I've driven. The first was years ago, the WABDR. Here is the teaser for that, if you're interested ...

Thanks, and I've watched all 5 videos :)

ShaunTOR

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Admin

Great vids and nice trip. My buddy is set to there next week! We'll finish installing the set new of tires from 4Wheelonline this week and they're good to go! I'll pass the link to him.

OrangeTJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKUS, 05 Dodge 2500 CTD
So awesome. Well done. May have to do that one of these days. The vastness of the west really has to be experienced to be understood!

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Just ran the southern part of the Nevada Backcountry Discovery Route in March with friends from California, Colorado and Nevada. I took my Wrangler, which is better set up for overlanding than my Gladiator, but the friend from Nevada did have a Gladiator on the trip. The teaser video is now online. More will be released over the next few weeks ...

Real nice, Mark.... your videos are very much the high water mark when trip planning.
Sponsored